Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#105619 - 09/14/07 03:44 AM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
Are these the same guardian generator company that are sold on the website at the start of this thread? The portable 15k and 17k units?

I happen to have my NG line right near where I want the generator to go.

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#105692 - 09/14/07 10:14 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

So you would say that the 15k Guardian is a good way to go?

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#105703 - 09/14/07 11:42 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
The 15k Guardian is the one I had. I loved it. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. It's a wonderful generator. It puts out 62.5 amps (A LOT!) and is no louder than an air conditioner. Comes on once a week for 12 minutes to stay ready to go when needed. The cabinet the generator is in comes with a lock to protect the generator. The cabinet is all 100% water and weatherproof. As long as you keep the air intake clear of obstruction and the exhaust clear as well...it'll run as long as you've got propane or natural gas.

Mind you the 15k model only runs at 15k when using Liquid Propane Gas. When running Natural Gas it'll only run 13,000 watts. Guardians out of the box are setup just to run Natural Gas and if you do choose to run off Propane...you will have to get a conversion kit. It's free. The kit basically is a different atomizer valve and 15,000 watt rated wiring.

If you do get a Guardian make sure you read the fine print in all aspects to make sure you're getting the wattage you want from Natural Gas.

But keep in mind there are Guardians that will run at more than 13,000 on Natural Gas. You just need to read closely.

I am confused....check out this link:

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=345

Is this the same company and unit, just not in a sealed case?

Thanks
DTT

UPDATE:

seem to be:

http://www.guardiangenerators.com/Products/Ultrasource/Ultrasource.aspx

Edited by DeathtoToasters (09/14/07 11:44 PM)

#105737 - 09/15/07 06:03 AM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

So I am confusing the difference between standby generator and portable generator?

#105739 - 09/15/07 06:25 AM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Reading the specs, they show the same engine....

and mostly the same specs on everything else..

Edited by DeathtoToasters (09/15/07 06:26 AM)

#105811 - 09/16/07 03:16 AM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Thanks for the explanation.

Any idea what this means:

"Longest Life Expectancy in the Industry: Over 3,000 hours of run time"

Basically after 3000 hours the unit should be expected to break down or is it after 3000 hours I should service it?

That is from both the standby and portable unit description, BTW.

#105813 - 09/16/07 03:35 AM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
DeathtoToasters Offline

BTW is the top photo the one you currently use?

#105816 - 09/16/07 03:47 AM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: DeathtoToasters
Thanks for the explanation.

Any idea what this means:

"Longest Life Expectancy in the Industry: Over 3,000 hours of run time"

Basically after 3000 hours the unit should be expected to break down or is it after 3000 hours I should service it?

That is from both the standby and portable unit description, BTW.

After 3,000 hours it means stuff needs to be replaced. What you need and have to do with the Stand By generators, like all engines, is after 10 hours of use with break in oil (Comes with break in oil in) you have to change the oil and the filter. Then you should replace the battery and have the oil changed (Filter, too) every 14 months. Most electricians who install the Stand Bys will do this service for about 50 bucks, but you can also do it yourself. It's really easy.

And, yes. The top one is the 15,000 watt portable I got. I love it to death.

Is it hooked up to your whole house?

That is the one I want to get...the 17,500 watt unit. Seems like a great deal. I want one I can take with me in the future when/if I move to a new house smile

I have to say that my biggest worry is that when a big earthquake hits (which I know it will) that if the power goes out, then the whole city stops.

I am convinced that if something above a 7.0 hits that the gas lines will be shut down for a bit to check for leaks around the city. Then my NG stand by will not do me any good.

What I really want to do is have everything I need on hand in the house and not need to depend upon a public utility or someone else to make sure I get through it with my family.

Hopefully that makes sense as to why I am hesitant of a NG standby generator.

#105821 - 09/16/07 04:31 AM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Am I being TOO causious? There is being preparred and being paranoid.

#105869 - 09/16/07 06:26 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
TomP Offline
Journeyman

The best whole house residential generators are made by Kohler in my opinion. I have friends with both brands. No problem with Kohler for more than ten years. One with Generac had an oil problem- failure- basement flood 3 weeks ago.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.