Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#10550 - 11/13/02 03:09 PM I thought I was well prepared
Saunterer Offline

Loc: Kansas City area
From a thread at Candle Power Forums.....<br><br>Now my wife doesn't think I'm too crazy for carrying around too much stuff.<br><br>http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/11/13/1037080776940.html<br><br>The human Swiss Army Knife<br>November 13 2002<br><br>Lyon, France: An eccentric Frenchman who goes by the name of Crazy Eric has entered the record books for the unusual feat of carrying permanently about his body more than 1,000 useful objects.<br><br>Dubbed the human Swiss Army Knife, Eric is a 30-year-old electrician from the central-eastern city of Lyon who has a psychological obsession with neatness and an ingenious line in clothes design.<br><br>"It all began very gradually about 10 years ago. First of all it was a screwdriver, then a pair of scissors, then some snack-bars and a torch ... just in case," says Eric, who refuses to give his family name.<br><br>But quickly the backpack which he used became too heavy, so he decided to "integrate my things about my person".<br><br>The result is a sartorial tool-kit comprising a panoply of pockets, folds and attachments that puts any one of 1,300 items within immediate hand's reach.<br><br><br>The number has been verified by the Guinness book of records, which in its last edition grants Eric a slot as owner of the world's "most practical suit of clothing".<br><br>Eric's outfits weigh 15kg - 12 kilos of which are gadgets of every kind.<br><br>Among his latest innovations is a Velcro leg-pocket containing a fold-up umbrella and a paint-brush.<br><br>"I use the brush a lot because I often end up sleeping in odd places and this is the best way I have found for removing dust," he says.<br><br>Elsewhere he carries a shaving kit, comprehensive first aid gear, a mini-saw, blow-up mattress, spare batteries, a change of clothes, a water-pouch, a water-filtering unit, soldering iron, tape-measure, digital camera ...<br><br>Eric says his aim is not self-publicity but simply to be prepared for all eventualities.<br><br>"It is like a doctor with his medicine bag. I always have my kit," he says.<br><br>"But if I don't need something, I don't bring it. I used to carry a pedometer, for example, but I've just taken it off. I never found I needed it."<br><br>

#10551 - 11/13/02 03:35 PM Re: I thought I was well prepared
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

thanks dude now i finnaly can show friends that im not that heavy equipped....( well it is a lot less than the most of u carry, since in kinda low budget and can find recorse for nice gadjets )<br>now i just wonder how that guy remembers were he has put his gadjest in withs pocket and how long takes to unload wenn he washes he's closhes or has to past to a metal detector...<br>

#10552 - 11/13/02 03:41 PM Re: I thought I was well prepared
Saunterer Offline

Loc: Kansas City area
I can't imagine how long it takes to unload. I had to visit the doctor yesterday, and when I unloaded I had a mound of gear laying on the table and drew a few comments.<br><br>Now on where he keeps this stuff, it's probably like... pulls out a Palm, opens up a database program, and reads to self "horse hoof pick...left leg, pocket number 12, slot 3, divider 1...."<br><br>

#10553 - 11/13/02 04:07 PM Re: I thought I was well prepared
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I hope he realized that his screwdrivers, pliers and blades can be substituted by Leatherman Wave smile. That should take few pounds of his coat.<br><br>Matt

#10554 - 11/13/02 04:07 PM Re: I thought I was well prepared
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i just counted my EDC after reading that articel and i discovered i had, depending on how you cound between 5 to 150 thingy's ( 150 wenn you count all the matches, needles,etc with it )..... and i didnt even had waterpurfication tabs.. ( overdate and i didnt had time to buy a new pack, they are [censored] hard to find )<br>

#10555 - 11/13/02 04:32 PM Re: I thought I was well prepared
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Sucks to be him if he forgets where his palm pilot is...<br><br>MAtt

#10556 - 11/16/02 01:11 PM Re: I thought I was well prepared
Milestand Offline

Click >here< to check out Crazy Eric's website . He's got complete equipment lists on there (divided into items he carries above and below the belt(!))<br><br>Hopefully, this will serve as a warning to us all! <br><br>For those who don't parlez the francais, you can translate the site with babelfish .<br><br>P.S.: For a really strange website special effect, check out Crazy Eric's homepage...

#10557 - 11/18/02 04:13 AM Re: I thought I was well prepared
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
Wow.<br>I just checked out his list and saw the video of where he keeps all his gear.<br>Amazing! I like especially the part where he stores his thermarest in his windbreaker!! <br>He really is the word in redundancy......<br><br>I will heed the warning - if it cant fit into an altoids tin and the pockets that you already have - you'll soon be going down the path of crazy eric! <br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.