Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#104464 - 09/03/07 10:51 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
I just added up my the needs my family of 5 (about to be 6) for a generator.

Approx

10175 consistent power
15650 startup power

Now I did go overboard a bit on what we would need. Plus that is including a washer and dryer which we would not be running at the same time and consistently.

Does that seem normal or like alot?

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#104467 - 09/03/07 11:13 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Item Running Watts / Starting Wattage

AC unit 3800 / 4950
(2)Refrigerator 1200/4400
Microwave 750/800
Electric Skillet 1500/0
Lighting 600/0
Radio 100/0

So I cut the list down to needed things....the numbers now look like:

7950 running watts / 10150 starting watts.

Does that seem better? smile

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#104469 - 09/03/07 11:31 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

What do you think about this model:

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=608

I was hoping to go for some type of tri fuel so that if I needed alternative methods of fuel, I would have that option.

Am I just needing too much power to go for a tri-fuel?

#104470 - 09/03/07 11:32 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
DeathtoToasters Offline

BTW I did get your PM..thanks for that explanation and for the pics....it helps me understand everything easily.

#104471 - 09/03/07 11:35 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Lose the electric skillet and use your propane camp stove or BBQ grill. When you want to run the microwave turn off the AC or unplug the fridges for a few minutes. For lighting don't use incandescent lights, use CFL's, 15watts to power a bulb instead of 100. For start up turn on the AC first and then power up other things in order to stay with in the start up capacity of your generator.

A little warning, if you decide to hook up your generator the way Izzy did his, it violates the electric code in this country. I know a electrical engineer with a degree from MIT that set his garage on fire doing this. I don't know what he did wrong other than he has no common sense. Now having said that i hook up my generator exactly the same way that Izzy does. You need to be realistic about your own abilities to hook up the generator correctly so as not to hurt anyone or anything. If in doubt have a transfer switch installed or go with something like this,

http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm

If you want to learn more about power management and how to cut back do a little research on some of the solar energy sites, there is a lot of information out there.

#104474 - 09/03/07 11:44 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

I just added the electric skillet for things I assumed I was leaving out smile

I have cfl's in most of the places in my home, like I said, I was over estimating once again.

The tri-fuel seems like a great idea, but the problem is that, a generator that weighs 500 is not going to, at least not easily, find it's way into my truck when and if I have to leave.

It doesn't seem to be able to be hooked up to a tow hook on the truck, so it will most likely stay at home.

I will just have to get a smaller personal one, then if we have to move, we can with power.

Also, I am thinking about the gasoline option because if for some reason we need to leave and the cars are not filled, we can fill them up.

#104477 - 09/03/07 11:55 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

I never thought I would like to be called Death....but that is so kewl :P

#104483 - 09/04/07 12:15 AM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
RayW Offline
Addict

" The transfer switch must be a break-before-make switch which will "break" the electrical connection with commercial power lines before it "makes" the connection between your generator and wiring."

Maybe i am misunderstanding something about your panel. What i understand is that you are turning off the main breaker and then you are turning on a separate breaker to energize your sub panel. Is there a mechanical interlock to prevent someone from pluging in your generator, turning on its breaker to energize the panel and then switching off main breaker? If there is not a mechanical interlock the generator hook up does not meet electrical code. If there is an interlock then i did not understand you correctly.

And my friend is very smart, he just has the common sense of a doorknob. It would not surprize me if he cross wired something to create a dead short.

#104487 - 09/04/07 12:26 AM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
RayW Offline
Addict

Sorry Izzy, i misunderstood. You did use the correct breakers to meet code.

#104490 - 09/04/07 12:40 AM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: RayW]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Izzy,

Do you have an exact list of what is needed to make this extra box?

Out here where I live, electricians love to charge double for things that the customers don't even need!

I just want to make sure I don't get too ripped off smile

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.