The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#106326 - 09/19/07 08:21 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: frostbite]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
I use a clear Pelican case for my Large Kit that is the core for my BOB. Pics of my large kit

Pelican makes a strong case in my opinion.

#106339 - 09/19/07 10:01 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: frostbite]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Frostbite,

I got my Solarlight at Penrith Survival

http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/penrith_survival/55/mia/pid/1533587

It actually works better than expected as it holds its charge for longer than I thought it would.

The specs on the Tadgear website are pretty accurate I would say, giving about the same output as a generic White LED CR2032 type light. Its fine for night time map reading and personal tasking within a small tent for example. But it is not really suited for night time navigation or signalling hence the Fenix P1D CE.

I'm about to modify the kit though after purchasing a Fenix Tip Diffuser.

The Candle and the Puritabs should fit inside the tip diffuser.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/19/07 10:02 PM)

#106352 - 09/19/07 11:37 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
Thanks!

#107438 - 10/01/07 04:47 AM Re: survival kit containers [Re: frostbite]
Koldsteel Offline
Stranger

I use a BCB tin from Bestglide.com. I use this tin for my PSK and purchased the new case bestglide sells for the large tin.

http://www.bestglide.com/tin_info.html

http://www.bestglide.com/personal_survival_kit_holder.html

#107440 - 10/01/07 05:39 AM Re: survival kit containers [Re: Koldsteel]
LED Offline
Veteran

I just bought one of these Witz cases from REI for my PSK and its great. I replaced the original black lanyard with about 8 ft. of 550 paracord braided tight. Slightly wider "fatter" than a survival tin but still fits in the pocket nicely, and is waterproof.

http://www.rei.com/product/723130

#107821 - 10/05/07 02:45 AM Re: survival kit containers [Re: Katie]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Katie
Quote:
We were looking at water bottles, and I noticed one labeled "Emergency Kit"

I saw these at LL Bean. They are clever enough to include a ditty bag so you can both use the water bottle and carry the contents, although they seem kind of gimmicky to me, and the contents aren't of the greatest quality. They have a bunch of them -- Fitness in a Bottle (biner, pedometer, sunscreen, lip balm, first aid kit and stuff sack), Outdoor Survival in a Bottle (whistle, compass, shake flashlight, small knife, emergency blanket, poncho, duct tape, first-aid kit, waterproof matches, biner, carry bag), Paddler in a Bottle (compass/whistle/waterproof match case, light sticks, emergency blanket, poncho, first aid kit, sunscreen), Auto Aid in a Bottle (shake flashlight, knife, screwdriver, tire gauge, safety flasher, reflective vest).

...and if all of that surviving is stressing you out, you can go for the Toblerone in a Bottle (1 lb. of Toblerone chocolate), or the Travel Spa in a Bottle (shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, soap, razor, shaving cream, lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, bath salts, vanity kit, mending kit, stuff sack). smile

Amusingly, I was a bridesmaid for a friend at her wedding a week ago, and she got me the 'Survival in a Bottle' kit as a bridesmaid gift. The other bridesmaids got 'Travel Spa in a Bottle'. I guess she knows me pretty well. smile

#107822 - 10/05/07 02:53 AM Re: survival kit containers [Re: Katie]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

I do have a question about this, though. 'Outdoor Survival in a Bottle' comes with a 5-in-1 whistle/match safe/compass/flint/lanyard as well as a shake flashlight. When I originally unpacked the kit, the flashlight and compass were on opposite sides of the bottle, and there was a warning to not pack them too closely as to damage the compass with the magnets in the flashlight. How close is too close? Is on the opposite side of the bottle really adequate? Putting the two within a couple feet of each other make the compass turn.

By the way, the "20-piece first aid kit" in the bottle is a little micro-sized LL Bean backpack with 20 identically-sized Band Aids in it.

#107862 - 10/05/07 05:08 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: Katie]
LED Offline
Veteran

I think you can demagnitize your compass if its close to a magnet for an extended period, which means your red (north) needle would be realigned and wouldn't point north anymore. Although ensuring the compass and the shake light stay apart in the bottle might be hard so maybe replacing the shake light with a small Photon microlight is an idea. As far as the "band-aid kit" is concerned, I'd recommend adding some antiseptic wipes, neosporin, advil/motrin, etc.

#107863 - 10/05/07 05:10 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: Katie]
ohiohiker Offline
found in the wilderness
Journeyman

Loc: Ohio
Find the distance at which the flashlight no longer causes the compass to deviate from north. This would be the safest and best distance.

If that's not possible, you could remagnetize it to ensure accuracy with a little preparation and testing ahead of time:

Quote:
How do I repair my de-magnetized compass?
If your compass becomes demagnetized (points in the wrong direction), place the South Pole of a magnet directly on top of the compass needle. Slowly slide the bar magnet along the red side of the needle, toward the pointed end, and then down the side of the compass. Pull the magnet away and your compass is re-magnetized.

Is there a simple way to tell which end of a magnet is the north pole?
Both poles of a magnet look the same. However, if you place a compass near a magnet, the needle that normally points toward the north pole of the earth moves in the direction of the magnet’s south pole.

If you determine and mark the flashlight magnet's south pole, you've just added a compass repair magnet to your kit! Also, you could use it to magnetize a sewing needle to hang by thread or float on a leaf in water, and you'd know which end pointed north. cool

#107872 - 10/05/07 07:16 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: ohiohiker]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
That's pretty interesting info, thanks...

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 176 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.