Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#105572 - 09/13/07 07:45 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: Katie]
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
I got one from a preparedness website...just to see how much they packed into it and how they did it. Like any that you would find in the stores, the quality of the items was lacking...but then I paid $14 for the whole thing, so who can complain?

Yes, these things are becoming very gimmicky. I started figuring out what I would want in mine, and the cost of it...got over $200 and I wasn't finished yet. Definitely not marketable to a wide audience based on cost, but for my own use...

#105575 - 09/13/07 07:51 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: Ors]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

Do you have a ballpark cost breakdown? What's so expensive? The knife? ("Waterproof matches...check. Compass...check. Rolex...check.")

#105577 - 09/13/07 07:54 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: Katie]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA

Quote:
...and if all of that surviving is stressing you out, you can go for the Toblerone in a Bottle (1 lb. of Toblerone chocolate), or the Travel Spa in a Bottle (shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, soap, razor, shaving cream, lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, bath salts, vanity kit, mending kit, stuff sack).

...also "Jameson's Irish Whiskey in a Bottle"... wink

#105585 - 09/13/07 08:55 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: Katie]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
I had to laugh when I saw it included the 5-in-1 survival tool. In the early 1980's they were being marketed to Boy Scouts (even sold in the summer camp trading post). My buddy and I who were camp staff picked a couple up and demonstrated to the scouts in our Wilderness Survival class how bad the things were.

• What they call the 'lip balm' holder used to be called 'the matchcase'. We put matches in it and dunked into a bucket of water. The matches were soaked.
  • The whistle had a plastic pea in it. It popped out when we strongly blew into the whistle, thus rendering it inoperative.
  • The compass would spin around randomly, but it could point one in a general direction (ok, there's North...I think)
  • There used to be a tiny mirror inside the cap, about the size of a dime. I'm certain that would work for signalling someone across the dining hall, not much more.
  • The attached small rope is also known as a 'lanyard' to hang the silly thing around one's neck.
  • There used to be a firesteel rod glued into the side of the case. We used it once, the knife blade caused it to pop off of the case.

I'm not trying to be mean, but we were pretty ticked off at the shameless attempt to sell junk to Boy Scouts in order to make a quick buck. mad Much of the official gear at the time was pieces of cheap imitation junk.

I've always told parents to research their purchases and buy good, quality gear. It often won't break, will perform the job with less work and be safer. The kids will have a much better time and enjoy camping. smile

Summary: As a toy, the 5-in-one would keep the camp staff amused for an afternoon. laugh As survival gear, it would be dangerous for someone to actually have to depend upon it.

Oops, sorry for taking so much time on the soapbox... whistle

#105593 - 09/13/07 10:48 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: BrianTexas]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
For those of you who want tin boxes without having to buy stuff in them, check out your local thrift shops (Goodwill Industries, in particular). All sizes and shapes, a few hinged. If you don't like the fairies, hearts, and baby kitties, just sand them a bit to rough up the surface and give them a coat or two of spray-on metal paint.

Now, I know that containers that can keep contents dry at 100, 200 and 500 feet are really nice. But if I am 100, 200 or 500 feet under water, I have WAAAAAY more serious problems than my matches getting wet.

Sue

#105597 - 09/13/07 11:19 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: Susan]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Quote:
Now, I know that containers that can keep contents dry at 100, 200 and 500 feet are really nice. But if I am 100, 200 or 500 feet under water, I have WAAAAAY more serious problems than my matches getting wet.
LOL...that's true... laugh

#105611 - 09/14/07 02:29 AM Re: survival kit containers [Re: Katie]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Katie
Quote:
We were looking at water bottles, and I noticed one labeled "Emergency Kit"

I saw these at LL Bean. They are clever enough to include a ditty bag so you can both use the water bottle and carry the contents, although they seem kind of gimmicky to me, and the contents aren't of the greatest quality. They have a bunch of them -- Fitness in a Bottle (biner, pedometer, sunscreen, lip balm, first aid kit and stuff sack), Outdoor Survival in a Bottle (whistle, compass, shake flashlight, small knife, emergency blanket, poncho, duct tape, first-aid kit, waterproof matches, biner, carry bag), Paddler in a Bottle (compass/whistle/waterproof match case, light sticks, emergency blanket, poncho, first aid kit, sunscreen), Auto Aid in a Bottle (shake flashlight, knife, screwdriver, tire gauge, safety flasher, reflective vest).

...and if all of that surviving is stressing you out, you can go for the Toblerone in a Bottle (1 lb. of Toblerone chocolate), or the Travel Spa in a Bottle (shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, soap, razor, shaving cream, lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, bath salts, vanity kit, mending kit, stuff sack). smile

Also available at Eddie Bauer, and I've seen them now at some Army-Navy stores. Not a bad idea, though if you'd EDC it, I suggest going with the 250ml or 500ml bottles. Square if possible.

#105620 - 09/14/07 03:49 AM Re: survival kit containers [Re: MDinana]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
I happen to see some 'mini' orange backpacks by the earthquake stuff (stuff to secure items on an endcap). Typical stuff inside...and nobody could wear the backpack but a child.

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#105627 - 09/14/07 06:03 AM Re: survival kit containers [Re: Katie]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
If you build it yourself, a PSK can run up to 50, 60 dollars pretty quickly. A better kit can top 100 very easily.

A decent multitool or SAK runs 30-50 without trying hard. A good flashlight, 20-30 dollars, minimum. Good water bottle is about ten bucks, so is a pack of clorine dioxide tablets. A box of contractor bags is about ten bucks. An AMK/DR PSP runs about $35. And OK FAK is about 20, 25. Add in matches in a case, a lighter, spare socks, some cordage, a few snacks, call it another 20. Empty coffee can for free. We're up to 160 dollars and we haven't paid shipping or bought a pack yet. And when you spread it out, it's not going to look like much, it will all fit in a messenger bag with room to spare.

Heck, I added everything up and to replace my BOB and ditch kit (binary system) would cost more than the insurance company thinks my car is worth. And I don't have a lot of gucci gear. *blushing madly*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#105644 - 09/14/07 02:46 PM Re: survival kit containers [Re: ironraven]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

Ah, OK. I thought were were talking about a "fits in an Altoids tin" kind of kit. If you're not limited by those dimensions, then I agree you can spend an arbitrary amount of money.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 181 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.