Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105377 - 09/12/07 05:12 AM Which PLB for me?
DLR Offline

Loc: Phoeniz, AZ
Hi all,

After an exaustive search of the internet an this website, my mind is mush.

I got a lot of great reviews and answers of PLB's. Thanks to Doug for all of his work.

However, I'm still looking for the "perfect" plb and I was Hoping someone here could help.

Here's my story.

I spend a lot of time outdoors. Hunting, fishing, geocaching, etc. I'm also required to spend much time OCONUS in remote areas, also much time in Mexico. Always around water and boats (I'm a Divemaster).

So here's what I need;

1)Small and compact, travel-able.
2)Reliable
3)Easy to use, for anyone.
4)MUST be waterproof to at least 200fsw. Or at a minumum, a case that I can store it in to go to depth, and waterproof at 5-10 meters.
5)Tough. Diving is hard on gear, and so am I. It's gotta last.

I know, a tall order. Some of the items I can work on, but the waterproof and toughness, I gotta have.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

DLR

#105393 - 09/12/07 01:29 PM Re: Which PLB for me? [Re: DLR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The Dive Cannister for the FastFind Plus would seem to be the answer.

#105418 - 09/12/07 03:43 PM Re: Which PLB for me? [Re: Russ]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
I think RAS pretty much hit the nail on the head with that combination. If someone knows of other small cases that are dive rated to 200 feet or more, you could use some of the newer, smaller PLBs. OtterBoxes, unfortunately, are only rated for a depth of 100 feet.

#105423 - 09/12/07 04:11 PM Re: Which PLB for me? [Re: JCWohlschlag]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I would recommend the ARC Electronics MicroFix. It is the best one out there at this time. For diving you'd have to put it into some kind of waterproof container. I would think any dive shop should be able to find you a case.

#105425 - 09/12/07 04:29 PM Re: Which PLB for me? [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Any diveshop will sell him a case, but would you trust your $650 piece of emergency gear to a generic case that wasn't certified by ACR? That case better be really good, lots of pressure at 200'. Who's going to pay for the replacement when it proves to be not quite waterproof. I'm not saying that dive shops can't come up with a container, but if DLR routinely does those dives, then he's well aware of their limitations.

#105437 - 09/12/07 07:10 PM Re: Which PLB for me? [Re: Russ]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
What do you think the markup is on that dive canister? Several hundred percent?

#105449 - 09/12/07 08:13 PM Re: Which PLB for me? [Re: jshannon]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Hard to say, but since it's good to a "depth of 492 feet" it's worth every penny if you really need what's inside to survive. If I was a diver the ACR MicroFix with a smaller container, but it would need to be the right container, not something the local dive shop thinks will work. The container is very much part of a system.

#105456 - 09/12/07 09:50 PM Re: Which PLB for me? [Re: Russ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I didn't know what the 200fsw meant, but I looked it up and it apparently means "feet of salt water". That is REALLY deep diving.

His other requirement was waterproof to 5-10 meters, or about 15-30 feet. The PLB will do fine at the surface, but I wouldn't want to regularly subject it to depths of 30 feet without additional protection.

I do think that the ARC MicroFix is best PLB out there right now - based on Doug's testing and comments.

My point was that a GOOD dive shop could point him in the right direction better than I.

#105458 - 09/12/07 10:09 PM Re: Which PLB for me? [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

No argument from me. There may be a small box that will fit an ACR MicroFix and all you'd need to do is put a foam jacket around it so it doesn't bounce around -- bubble wrap might work. But it would need to be a very strong, WT container. The Dive Canister by Pains-Wessex seems to be purpose built and I like that. Maybe ACR can do the same.

#105464 - 09/12/07 11:52 PM Re: Which PLB for me? [Re: DLR]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

DLR, your best bet is to use a cave dive light canister. My instructor has been down to 600fsw (Edmund fitzgerald)with them, I've been to 200fsw and my buddy has been to 400fsw and on the Andria Dora with his. Check Dive Rite ( http://www.diverite.com/catalog/lights ) or Halcyon ( http://www.halcyon.net/lights/video_hmi.shtml ) or any canister making companies and plug where the light goes in. You can make your own but I have an old AUI one yhat I've used for years and never changed the seals (Stupid on my part) but never had any leaks (knock on wood).
A lot of the Tec divers using OMS or other equipment ( http://www.omsdive.com/misc.html ) put in there empty cave canister a portable life ( http://www.halcyon.net/mc/dlr.shtml )a cell phone, radio, dive alert, dye markers and tube ( http://www.halcyon.net/mc/dam.shtml )and a EPIRB as well as portable water and a couple of power bars in case they get lost at seas. So it depends on your flavor, but if you are or presently in technical, I would use cave diving rescue equipment. The Dive alert and the tube marker has saved my life once from a lost boat due to high currents and a anchor line break. I do more cave diving than technical wrecks, I like a little more control over my elements.
And if you need O2 (Oxygen), just as your taught in class, go to a welding store and rent a bottle of Aviator Oxygen and put them in your O2 cleaned tank and seals because we all know Aviator Oxygen is more Pure than Hospital grade Oxygen and you don't need any requirements to get aviators oxygen but you may for medical and medical oxygen is not as purer anyway.

Also check Ebay as well ( http://listings.ebay.com/_W0QQsocmdZListingItemList?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&fcl=3&socmd=ListingItemList&catref=C3&from=R2&satitle=&sacat=29575%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=3%26fsoo%3D2&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp= )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.