Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10522 - 11/11/02 07:51 PM New LED
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm looking to get a new LED for my kit. The white Photon II I had in it found a new home in my keychain ( replacing a Maglite Solitaire). <br><br> Should I get a Photon 3 instead of a Photon 2? I read Doug's review and it seems annoyingly complicated. It's also about $5 more expensive. Are the benefits (waterproof, variable modes, etc. ) worth it?<br><br> Also, regarding color, is the yellow or orange similar to "flashlight" light? The added battery life is tempting.<br><br>Thanks in advance;<br><br>Guillermo Pico-Munoz<br>

#10523 - 11/11/02 08:01 PM Re: New LED
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I have yet used the extra modes on the Photon III. But being water proof is worth a lot to me. <br><br>Matt

#10524 - 11/12/02 12:25 AM Re: New LED
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Yellow and orange are very useful, but they are nowhere near as bright as the white... no free lunch. The only colors I have not used yet are green and blue. No data on the Photon 3; I've stuck with the 2 - they are fairly inexpensive locally (about $11-12 US if I buy 2 or more at a time)

#10525 - 11/12/02 07:02 PM Photon 3!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have both the P2 and the P3. Yes, the P3 mode selection is annoyingly complicated and yes it is worth it. The P3's water resistance is important, it's easier to turn on and off and the low-light modes give you options to maximize battery life and/or preserve your night vision. If you find the mode selection complicated, just pick your favorite mode and leave it there. That's what I do. I like the low setting because it gives me the right amount of light for what I normally use the light for and if I want some more reach for a moment, I just press the front button and get the bright light for a moment. The other modes will still be there if the day comes when I need them, but I really don't switch between them at all in normal use.<br><br>In a sense, using the P3 is actually simpler than the P2 if you choose to ignore the modes. Battery changes are simpler (no screwdriver needed), on/off is simpler and keeping the inside dry is simpler. In my opinion, the current production P3 makes the P2 completely obsolete. <br><br>As for color, choose whatever you like, it's mostly a matter of personal preference. The white or red make the most sense to me for a survival light. If I only have one light, I'd probably want it to be white for full color rendition which you won't get from yellow or orange, etc. LED light.<br><br>Also, I'd highly recommend the covert option and good prices are at http://www.lights4raves.com.<br><br>Good luck!

#10526 - 11/12/02 09:50 PM Re: New LED
Anonymous
Unregistered

Guys, thanks for the replies.<br><br>I'll go with a white Photon 3 for the kit. I"ll also get a yellow for my vest.<br><br>One last question, is the auto-off feature active even when the light is left switched on (not pressure) ? It might be problematic when constant, hands-free light is needed, to have to touch the LED every 60 seconds.

#10527 - 11/13/02 01:32 PM P3 auto off
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the light is in regular mode the light will stay on until you turn it off or until the battery dies. If you select the auto-off mode, it will turn off automatically after about a minute or so. It's your choice.

#10528 - 11/13/02 03:59 PM Re: P3 auto off
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just curious, I read where the switch on the P3 wasn't water resistent, have they done anything to correct that?

#10529 - 11/13/02 05:28 PM Photon 3 it is!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks everybody for taking the time to respond to my questions.<br><br>Castaway, special thanks to you for the site, the prices are exellent. I'll buy mine and a few others as stocking stuffers for Christmas.<br><br> Have a great day!<br><br>Guillermo Pico-Munoz<br><br> <br><br><br>

#10530 - 11/14/02 01:44 PM Re: water resistant
Anonymous
Unregistered

"I read where the switch on the P3 wasn't water resistent"<br><br>The P3 has always had a water resistant switch. I think you must mean the P2. The switch design on the P2 is not water resistant, but the light still works reasonably well even with water inside.<br><br>By the way, in case anyone missed it, LRI has released an economy version of these keychain lights called the X-Light. Also a very good light, and a real bargain.

#10531 - 11/14/02 02:39 PM Re: water resistant
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I would still like to suggest that people check out the ARC AAA, it is waterproof, has a nice white LED and the batteries are easy to obtain and replace. If you check out a few places on the web, the price is not that much more then a P3. Pete

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 316 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.