Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#105089 - 09/09/07 04:26 PM Re: Perscription Medications...how do we handle th [Re: bws48]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:
We need insulin on a daily basis for a type II diabetic for whom the oral meds are ineffective.

Do you also have Glucagon-injections for hypoglycemia? If so, how much are you allowed to have?

#105093 - 09/09/07 04:39 PM Re: Perscription Medications...how do we handle th [Re: JIM]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
No, not yet. So far, hypoglycemia has not been a problem. Frequent blood testing (several times a day) and careful control of dose/food so far have been the approach. Also, ALWAYS keep glucose tablets handy and in reach. So far, so good.

#105118 - 09/09/07 09:17 PM Re: Perscription Medications...how do we handle th [Re: bws48]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
Well one of my drugs is not on any list, but I will start to do mail order 3 months ahead program. Then I will take alot of the suggestions mentioned here, especially the one where I find the re-fill cut off date and order on that day to maximize the amount I can get.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#105124 - 09/09/07 11:11 PM My way of stocking up... [Re: DeathtoToasters]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
When I get a script from my MD, if it is something that I need a stockpile of, then I ask him to write double the dose. Instead of a 30 day supply, I now have a 60 day supply.

I mostly do this with broad spectrum anti-biotics. This leaves me with a extra dosage series (usually 7-10 days) which I carry with me onboard ship. If I have a bacterial infection while I am on the boat, I can take the dosage series, as prescribed, versus having to get off the boat, go to a Dr, get the same anti-biotics, then wait (lose work) for the anti-biotics to do their thing, killing the little bugs, before I can get a Dr's release to go back to work.

Where I am required to take a pill/capsule each 12 hours, my MD writes out 2 pills/capsules each 12 hours. This makes my insurance company happy and allows me to keep those prescription drugs on hand, in sufficient numbers, to handle most emergencies.

The same thing is true of an emergency at home, where the Dr's offices and/or pharmacies are closed.

#105127 - 09/10/07 12:03 AM 2 more ways, Get Organized, FIFO use oldest first [Re: DeathtoToasters]
Hike4Fun Offline
Journeyman

1) If you forget to take your pills at the right time,
no worries, take them, but do not get back on the regular
schedule. Let this be your new schedule.

Example: you normally take your pills at 7 am, but you
forget until noon. You take your pills at noon from now on.
Then you forget to take at noon and realize it at 3 pm, so
now take them at 3 pm etc.

2) If you take tablets that are Not Time Release, you could
take a portion of a tablet, like 3/4 or 1/2.

This may be reflected in lab tests or other symptoms.

Example: you take blood pressure meds, and one of them is
a Tablet at 10mg (very low level); with your blood pressure
up, ask the doctor if maybe 20mg might get it down. You can
then go back to taking the full 10mg, splitting a 20 when
needed. BTW, re prices, 20mg, 50mg, are not a whole lot more
expensive than 10mg. [Your blood pressure can go up, if you
take less meds, or take more salt, before an office visit.]

Get Super Organized so you have your meds separated by type.
Each type, ordered by age. You should not have to search
through a bag of pill bottles!

#105131 - 09/10/07 12:28 AM Re: Perscription Medications...how do we handle th [Re: DeathtoToasters]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Many times during disasters, we often get asked to refill a patient's regular prescriptions, including for controlled substances. In such case having the original of the printout the pharmacies usually provide that documents the prescription or the the most recent labeled Rx bottle along with any medical records you may have and good ID will help you get what you need from our physicians.

Jeff

#105144 - 09/10/07 03:52 AM Re: Perscription Medications...how do we handle th [Re: DeathtoToasters]
Seeker890 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
For maintenance type of prescriptions, that is the best way. I mail order 4 medications. My insurance requires 90 day prescriptions for mail order. Usually you can re-order after about 60 days. If you are diligent, it is not too hard to get ahead by as much as two weeks per re-fill. Eventually you could end up with an extra 30 day + supply.

#105167 - 09/10/07 02:16 PM Re: Perscription Medications...how do we handle th [Re: Seeker890]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
Those are my thoughts also....

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#105178 - 09/10/07 04:17 PM Re: Perscription Medications...how do we handle th [Re: DeathtoToasters]
thtimster Offline

If you can't get more than a 30 day prescription because of your insurance company or the pharmacy then perhaps your doctor can prescribe a double dose tablet that you can divide in half with a pill cutter.

Tim

#105240 - 09/11/07 02:41 AM Re: Perscription Medications...how do we handle th [Re: Seeker890]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
That's the way we do it. That, and maybe skipping a pill every so often, allows us to acrue a pretty large stock of pills...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.