The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#104285 - 09/02/07 12:02 AM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: samhain]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: samhain

It can become a pain at times (had a female coworker come to me looking for tampons once) but slowly they are learning.

Maybe something to add to the kit? If you're single it could be an easy way to strike up a conversation. grin Sorry, that was too funny.

#104295 - 09/02/07 02:25 AM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER...."

Slipped that one in, didn't you???

#104302 - 09/02/07 03:58 AM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: OldBaldGuy]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
...and sheesh, I was <deleted> for a sh**ple comment...not fair smile

#104312 - 09/02/07 01:41 PM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: NeighborBill]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
No one ever said that life was fair...

#104332 - 09/02/07 05:21 PM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
You can always tell a PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER..

They have fashion sense.

And no pockets....

#104383 - 09/03/07 01:58 AM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: Ors]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I was able to read all the replies that were posted and I came to the conclusion that I am a very lucky man. I have been prepared for about 25 years now (sometimes when I didnt even know it). My best friends both of whom I have known for 20+ years have always been prepared and when were young and dumb, we would call each other and say grab your bag... we are headed for the hills. Then we would go. It took all of 15 minutes to be on the road.

Now I am blessed by being surrounded by people that are prepared. My two friends and I still have our bags, but they are now BOBs as we go to my cabin when we go to the hills. When creating my BOB, my wife said what are you doing honey? Now she has a BOB of her own. I mentioned casually about being prepared to my new stepfather and I find out he is PREPARED! He has more of a EOTHW mentallity (or collapse of the local government). I know that my family will be safe or at least prepared. I only have one concern and that is for my son. He currently lives with his mother across town and when I mentioned his BOB that I created for him, her responce was "that is just silly! God will take care of us..." I am all about a higher power, but I do beleive that he helps those who help themselves.

I mentioned being prepared to my new neighbors, just casually, and I got a responce of "Could you teach me some things and help me get something together for my fiance and me?"

Like I said blessed. As far as people showing up at my house when the SHTF, they can have whatever I leave, cause I will have been long gone when they show up. Stuff is just stuff and if I dont have it with me, it isnt important enough to help me and my family survive.

#104398 - 09/03/07 11:41 AM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: epirider]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
Quote:
God will take care of us...

this one is probably my favorite on the list of dumb excuses people give for not preparing. Even more so than "FEMA will save us."

Based just on recent natural disasters, I'd say God has proven to have little interest in the wellbeing of His children. Where was God when the tsunami hit Indonesia and killed 230,000+ people? where was God when Katrina decimated NO, or when any of the recorded hurricanes and tornadoes destroyed hundreds of homes, leaving thousands of people with nothing but their free will and their faith? Years of memories and financial commitment wiped out. And why doesn't God talk some sense into the idiots who repeatedly decide to put up more houses in the exact same spot where the last ones got blown away, when it should be obvious to these people that the odds of it NOT happening again are absurdly small? I've seen some miraculously good things happen, but i've seen so many more bad things happen with no silver lining.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#104502 - 09/04/07 01:05 AM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: Erik_B]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Erik_D
Quote:
God will take care of us...

this one is probably my favorite on the list of dumb excuses people give for not preparing. Even more so than "FEMA will save us."

Most of those folks would probably say that those poor 230,000+ were of the "wrong" religion, so God ignored them. I hate that mentality as much as you; I've got a few friends like that and it drives me insane.

Anyway, onto the thread... I'm not quite Inspector Gadget, but my girlfriend knows most of my preps, and gives me crap for buying flashlights and knives (a Fenix and a S30V blade Kershaw, so it's pricey). But she tends to blab a little about me always carrying a knife or flashlight, so I've started keeping the other EDC quite. To be fair though, I don't tend to carry much more. A power bar, mini multi-tool, pen, some cash in my backpack (still a student after all).

Looking into adding a fire starter, but here in Detroit, I doubt I'll have a pressing need for that! Plus, I can't start a fire with a spark unit without an accelerator anyway, so that would entail carrying tinder. Speaking of which, has anyone tried Ranger Rick's SOS fire starter? I like the size; please PM if you have any experience with it! Thanks.

#104534 - 09/04/07 05:04 AM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: Erik_B]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
this one is probably my favorite on the list of dumb excuses people give for not preparing. Even more so than "FEMA will save us.

Ditto

Quote:
who repeatedly decide to put up more houses in the exact same spot where the last ones got blown away

& use the same construction methods (even if it does meet code).

#104535 - 09/04/07 05:18 AM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Stefan Offline

Loc: Sweden, South
Oii!

Daleks invading Earth!?

Where´s your Sonic Screwdriver then? grin

/Stefan

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.