Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#104988 - 09/07/07 11:40 PM Question about quik clot and blood thinner.
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Have a question about powdered blood clotting agents (quik clot). Have an acquaintance that is taking blood thinner for a medical condition. A small pin prick, while not immediately life threatening, can take a couple of hours for him to get the bleeding under control. A minor injury could very well be a life threatening situation for him. When i asked him if his Dr. recommended anything for controlling bleeding from an injury he said that his Dr. said don't get hurt. Would quik clot be an appropriate treatment for minor bleeding that can not be easily stopped?

#105006 - 09/08/07 03:16 AM Re: Question about quik clot and blood thinner. [Re: RayW]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
A person who is taking an anticoagulant needs to ask his doctor specifically about using this product. No guessing allowed.

Sue

#105008 - 09/08/07 04:23 AM Re: Question about quik clot and blood thinner. [Re: RayW]
marduk Offline

Loc: Mid-Missouri
In general, appropriately managed anticoagulation (usually this means Coumadin [generic – warfarin]) may prolong clotting for a short period. The usual treatment methods should be sufficient, i.e. direct pressure, to control bleeding. If a major vascular structure, either vein or artery, is involved it’s a different story and Quikclot or similar products may have some utility. Just asking – Has your friend had a blood test recently to asses his anticoagulant’s effect determined? Unfortunately this sometimes isn’t followed as closely as it should be. Many things affect warfarin’s effect, most of them potentiate the effects and excessive prolongation of bleeding times results. Here’s a link re: warfarin: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a682277.html

Good luck. Hope this helps some.
I agree with Susan's advice.

Edited by marduk (09/08/07 04:24 AM)

#105009 - 09/08/07 04:47 AM Re: Question about quik clot and blood thinner. [Re: RayW]
CentralOklahoma Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
I would not use it. It will burn. see text of previous info.

C.P.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=9220&Number=100502#Post100502

#105015 - 09/08/07 08:25 AM Re: Question about quik clot and blood thinner. [Re: CentralOklahoma]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
The new quick-clot and ACS don't burn as much anymore. I now that you can use Celox on persons that take anticoagulantia, but I'm not sure if that also works with Quick-clot. Ask your GP.

#105016 - 09/08/07 10:40 AM Re: Question about quik clot and blood thinner. [Re: RayW]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Use of blood thinners is NOT a contra-indication for the use of clotting agents, when used as indicated and directed, although I endorse the other posters' suggestions about using standard methods first, consulting your own physician, and following up with labwork. I note Celox has come out with smaller packages, and I like the agent embedded into sponges as a convenient alternative to the loose powder form.

Jeff

#105017 - 09/08/07 11:34 AM Re: Question about quik clot and blood thinner. [Re: Jeff_M]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Thanks to everyone. I mentioned that there are clotting agents on the market and that he should ask his Dr. if it is appropriate for his condition. Was asking more for my own knowledge. As i get um...older, i know more people on blood thinners and such. Most of them, that i know, just take a little longer to stop bleeding. This guy is fairly young, in his 30's, and if he gets a little pin prick it takes him a couple of hours to get the bleeding to stop. Just have not seen someone with this much trouble getting bleeding under control.

Thanks again,

#105030 - 09/08/07 07:01 PM Re: Question about quik clot and blood thinner. [Re: RayW]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
It depends on the blood thinner. Coumadin, Aspirin, Plavix, etc, can work via different methods. So, yes, ask the doctor! Looking at how it works, by 'absorbing the fluid, leaving the clotting agents,' I would think that it wound't help much. Most blood thinners act by disrupting different steps in the coagulation cascade. think of building a fence: the platelets are the wood, the coag. factors are the nails. You reduce the nails with blood thinners, making it harder to clot.

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/000458.html
http://www.z-medica.com/quikclot/index.asp

#105031 - 09/08/07 07:35 PM Re: Question about quik clot and blood thinner. [Re: RayW]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Tell your mate that his 1st move is:
Change his doctor. "Don't get hurt" is not exactly the most helpful advice.
Down right unhelpful in fact.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.