Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#102197 - 08/09/07 11:40 PM Re: My BOB [Re: simplesimon]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've heard of a few units offered that are essentially a ground cloth sans insulation with the sides and top fully filled. Outdoor gear is oftentimes just as much slave to fashion and tradition as clothing. There are always a few potential tradeoffs in overal useability. All I know is, I once rolled down a slight incline in the desert while asleep and woke up with the bottom of the bag now on the top. So I stick with a traditional mummy.

#102201 - 08/10/07 12:00 AM Re: My BOB [Re: simplesimon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Simplesimon,

There is a good article on this type of bag at http://www.planetfear.com/article_detail.asp?a_id=446

#102240 - 08/10/07 12:33 PM Re: My BOB [Re: xbanker]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: xbanker

• Include LED micro-flashlight as backup (two is better). They’re small, light, reliable, and inexpensive, with good run-times. Both Photon X-Light and Inova Microlight are about $6; 12-15 hour run-times with multiple brightness levels.

AFAIK, the old Photon X-light only has an ON/OFF switch. Single brightness level.
Now, the new X-light Micro offers multiple levels of brightness.

Originally Posted By: xbanker

• A small 2-level AA-powered headlamp might be worthy of consideration as a back-up light.

It IS MORE than worthy of consideration !!

#102284 - 08/10/07 07:58 PM Re: My BOB [Re: Enter_Narne]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Great idea! I'll add a DVD-RW into by BOB along side my flash drive. :^)

Cheers!

#102409 - 08/13/07 01:44 AM Re: My BOB [Re: ]
iain Offline
Stranger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Sherpadog

- I would leave behind the SAS survival guide book.
That would be blasphemous!! For the small weight gain in carrying this book, I have used it more times then I can remember over the years. An added benefit, some pages can be used for fire starter if need be.

Well said! It's a great book and if nothing else it will give you something to read.

There's actually a "Collins Gem" edition of this book which I have in my BOB. It's rather small, and only weighs about 200g

Also, here's a little ultrarunning trick:

Duct tape works better than moleskin. It sticks well, prevents chafing, and doesn't add much bulk which can actually exaggerate hot spots in a shoe. Preventative duct taping before blisters form is best so get it on there the moment anything starts rubbing, but even if you have to drain a blister before applying - it will patch you up and let you keep going.

In a pinch, those empty energy gel packets are also really good for reducing friction and preventing blisters. Just put them between your sock and shoe.

When you step out that door in the morning you never really know what you're going to encounter.

#104898 - 09/07/07 01:40 AM Re: My BOB [Re: iain]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
I didn't realize how much was missing from BOB until I read this thread frown

BTW for all of you that have little children. Do you just pack extra in your own bag for the kids? Do you create one for them?

I am talking kids under 10 years old.

I am all for raising tough kids etc...but in a pinch, the last thing I want is a kid kicking, screaming, and crying about carry a small pack that is too heavy.

UPDATE:

Doing a little searching, I guess the best way to deal with everything is to just purchase a larger suspension pack and just pack the extra stuff with me. In all reality the only stuff that will be different then what I would pack for me is just extra of most personal items (toiletries, food, first aid) and an extra pair of clothes or two.

Kids clothes don't take up that much room anyway.....I think smile

Edited by DeathtoToasters (09/07/07 02:11 AM)

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#104913 - 09/07/07 04:38 AM Re: My BOB [Re: DeathtoToasters]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
They can carry packs if they are five or older. Even if it is just a bottle of water, a change of clothes, and their teddy bear or similiar.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#104918 - 09/07/07 11:37 AM Re: My BOB [Re: ironraven]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Get a dog. You can load a good retreiver down with nearly 30 lbs of supplies. If you get in a real pinch, you can eat the dog later on as well.

#104948 - 09/07/07 04:05 PM Re: My BOB [Re: DeathtoToasters]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I use a 5,000 cu pack. When I need to go in a hurry, I've no time to pack well -- just dump stuff in and move.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.