Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#104774 - 09/06/07 12:34 AM popcorn butter smell cause lung illness !
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Recent medical study found people who eat frequent microwave popcorn suffer from lung disease due to the butter chemical, diaceytl.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/070904/health/health_popcorn_lung_consumer

#104784 - 09/06/07 02:05 AM Re: popcorn butter smell cause lung illness ! [Re: picard120]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
When I first read the headlines on Google News this morning, thought for sure I'd be giving up yet another vice. But was heartened to read this on the AP newsfeed:

"Microwave popcorn fans worried about the potential for lung disease from butter flavoring fumes should know this: The sole reported case of the disease in a non-factory worker involves a man who popped the corn every day and inhaled from the bag [emphasis mine].

"He really liked microwave popcorn. He made two or three bags every day for 10 years," said William Allstetter, a spokesman for National Jewish Medical and Research Center in Denver where the man's respiratory illness was diagnosed.

"He told us he liked the smell of popcorn, so he would open and inhale from freshly popped bags," Allstetter said. And the patient said he did this for a decade.

This fact from popcorn.org: Americans consume 17 billion quarts of popped popcorn annually or 54 quarts per man, woman and child. So after the ten years this guy gorged himself on popcorn, the folks who consumed the other nearly-200 billion quarts are apparently doing OK. I wish half the things I ate came with those kinds of odds.

You sniff/snort anything three times a day for ten years, you're likely to get sick.

Believe our medical- and health-related resources and "policing" are better utilized elsewhere ... say E. coli and produce (yeah, I still buy and eat produce).

Full Disclosure: No popcorn industry affiliation of any kind, unless you count the 32-pack of Redenbacher's Movie Theater Butter microwave popcorn I bought at Costco today. smile

#104791 - 09/06/07 02:53 AM Re: popcorn butter smell cause lung illness ! [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
You pound enough of anything down the throat (or other orifice) of a lab rat, or couch potato, it will make him sick. Next someone is gonna say that too much sex is bad for you....

#104793 - 09/06/07 03:16 AM Re: popcorn butter smell cause lung illness ! [Re: picard120]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Hey Ironraven, I won this bet.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#104802 - 09/06/07 09:13 AM Re: popcorn butter smell cause lung illness ! [Re: Blast]
ScouterMan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
A totally shameless plug, but the Boy Scouts are staring their annual Trails End popcorn sales. This is the only microwave popcorn that doesn't use this chemical. They actually use butter (go figure), so keep an eye open for your local scouts if you're interested.

#104813 - 09/06/07 02:00 PM Re: popcorn butter smell cause lung illness ! [Re: picard120]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Stove popped tastes so much better anyway. With fine grained salt and real butter (maybe a few spices or finely grated cheese), makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Can't wait until I'm free this evening.

#104816 - 09/06/07 02:13 PM Re: popcorn butter smell cause lung illness ! [Re: OldBaldGuy]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Next someone is gonna say that too much sex is bad for you....

It's tough, but you get used to it.

#104825 - 09/06/07 03:37 PM Re: popcorn butter smell cause lung illness ! [Re: GarlyDog]
MichaelJ07 Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
I guess you're gonna have to live til ya die, so I figure "life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ "WOO HOO what a ride!"

#104829 - 09/06/07 03:51 PM Re: popcorn butter smell cause lung illness ! [Re: MichaelJ07]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
That's a neat quote, but eating popcorn is hardly skidding in sideways. More likely it just means that later in life instead of being really energetic and living life to the fullest, you'll already have had a minor heart attack and you'll be living life carefully in order to ensure you can enjoy that next bag of Orville Redenbacher's Kettle Korn.

#104846 - 09/06/07 06:14 PM Re: popcorn butter smell cause lung illness ! [Re: AROTC]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Originally Posted By: AROTC
Stove popped tastes so much better anyway.

Fresh from the farm....stove popped...mmmmmmm.

BTW, I remember from SCUBA training a long time back that there is a disorder you can get if your air tanks happen to get oil in them. I think it is called lipid pneumonia.

I wonder if these are related conditions... the popping oil mixed in heavy concentration in the air day after day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.