Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#111680 - 11/06/07 05:15 PM Re: Car Accident Post Mortem [Re: Frank2135]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:
Two things:
1. The ambulance crew warned me against crawling around in the vehicle retrieving my stuff, saying they had known air bags to suddenly deploy a few minutes after an impact.
2. A lady in our office has a son who recently completed the training to be a GM-certified mechanic. He told her in our area (lots of rain and snow, lots of road salt, etc.) it is not uncommon for corrosion to form on the contact points of the switch that actuates the air bag, rendering it useless.

A airbag can deploy up to half an hour after you've disconnected the car-battery because of the emergency-power in the airbag-control unit.

#112101 - 11/10/07 12:19 AM Re: Car Accident Post Mortem [Re: JIM]
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
Picked up a pair of nice used Sorel Caribu boots for winter.
Worked 2 trades for AK mags. Picked up a large JetBoil pot, Ti cookset and a NorthFace Denali fleece vest at REI sale.

Dave

#115687 - 12/12/07 09:34 PM Re: What I did this month. [Re: X-ray Dave]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
What I did this month: added a few things to our gear and; changed methods of transporting the gear.

Until this month, all of the gear was in a few rubbermaid containers. Fine idea, if we can get drive to where we want to get. However, if an when we are forced to move on foot, even perhaps after we get to someplace else we are staying, these containers will not be as easy to move around with gear as if I stored things in backpacks that we could simply grab. Now, we have two backpacks ready to go close by the front door. The rubbermaid containers will be restocked with with some of the same things as they held before and some other items too. Ideally we stay or move with all the gear. However, if we need to move on foot, we have a better option.

A significant addition was some cheap bic lighters. Living in NYC, we do not get a lot of opportunity to start fires. While we have tools to start fires (matches and strikers), it would be foolish to think we get enough practice with them to be able to count on them. Added the lighters, because one should be able to get thousands of fires started with one. During the time I was starting such fires, I can practice with the strikers. I'll practice anyway when I can, but now I have another option.

My other addition worth mentioning was a modification of a plastic spork, knife and razor knife. I did not want to carry a small scapel-like blade and no handle. The idea of trying to cut something with a sliver of metal pressed between my thumb and fingers seemed onerous. So, I took a plastic knife and a spork, drilled holes into the handle ends, and enlarged the hole on a a small exacto knife blade. Then I tooked a machine screw inserted it through all three holes, with the exacto blade sandwiched in the middle, and tightened a nut onto the screw. Now, if I should need it, I have an exacto blade with a handle. It will not my first choice in knife blades for almost any job, until it is the only one I have with me. But, I almost always have it with me.

One more thing, I joined this forum. So far it has beene ducational, and I think it will be shown to have been a wise choice in the future.

Edited by Dan_McI (12/12/07 10:00 PM)

#115747 - 12/13/07 04:16 AM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: Stu]
red Offline

I finished our 6 month emergency fund (baby step 3 for all you Dave Ramsey discliples) and started rolling with a marine combat instructor. Marines are tough!

#115777 - 12/13/07 01:06 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: red]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Red,

+1 on Dave Ramsey! Financial security is a must.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#116261 - 12/17/07 12:20 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: Blast]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've never been a fan of Dave ramsey, I don't fine it very ethical to take freely available information, put it in a book, take credit for it, and make a big profit doing so.
There really is nothing in his book that isn't free knowlegde that can be founf repeated many times on various web sites, books, etc everywhere.

#116262 - 12/17/07 12:22 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: Craig_phx]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This month (December 2007) I stocked up on food. Kroger had a bunch of canned goods sales 20 for $10 which beats the Sam's club price on the cases (I'm starting to find that as I get stocked up enough to buy only itesm that are on sale I can beat the sams club prices on just about anything so I'm buying less and less there). I ended up buying several dozen cans of vegetables and had to buy two rubbermaid containers to store them in.

#116372 - 12/18/07 05:41 AM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: Eugene]
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
Added a winter travel box with more food, water, stove fuel, a pot, lighter and more clothes. Put a sleeping bag in the car.

Dave

#117672 - 12/27/07 04:23 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: X-ray Dave]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands

#117692 - 12/27/07 06:37 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: JIM]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
added a few space pens? laugh

I have been cleaning out and making some changes here and there.

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.