Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#104808 - 09/06/07 01:15 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: rabagley]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
rabagley, welcome to the forum.

The diesels that are based on the old British designs are made in India (i'm sure that some are made in China also),

http://www.utterpower.com/Lister%206/1.htm

If you are looking to build your own there is a lot of good information on this site.

The "China Diesels" are based on a German design, if i remember correctly. From what i understand the build quality of these units is poor and you might make it to a few hundred hours before a major mechanical malfunction happens. Have lots of spares and know how to work on it.

The India made engines don't have a stellar reputation either. These are the engines can be torn down and put back together in an afternoon. And you still need to have lots of spares and know how to work on it.

If you are looking for an diesel that parts are available though the US one of the Detroit diesel refer generators might be the way to go. Here are a couple of sites,

http://www.green-trust.org/wiki/index.php?title=Green-Trust_Heat_%26_Power_System

http://stores.ebay.com/AFFORDABLE-POWER

Disclaimer, i have no affiliation with any of the above web sites and this is presented for information purposes only.

If you like working on and playing with engines, one of these would be a wonderful toy. But if you want a small reliable diesel generator i would go for an Onan or one of the welder/generators mentioned by Reddog.

#104953 - 09/07/07 05:21 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
Update....

Well I am starting to prepare...I got my (3) 5 Gallon Justrite Cans today, funnel included.

Now it is time to fill them up (not for the generator, as I don't have it yet) but to fill the cars if needed.

Also time to start saving for the generator. Should have enough in about 2 months. Hopefully nothing will happen before then smile

Small steps are still steps....

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#104955 - 09/07/07 05:42 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
rabagley Offline
Student of Life
Stranger

Holy crap. Those AFFORDABLE POWER gensets look awesome. I know of one person who's had one of the Chinese generators for about ten years, and though he complains a little about the lack of regulation (when he adds loads, there are temporary voltage and frequency sags), he doesn't have any reliability complaints.

But with these gensets running even slower and just as efficient (1gal/hour to supply a 12kW load is excellent) and being a much more established Detroit Diesel prime mover...

Get one of these.

#104958 - 09/07/07 05:52 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: rabagley]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Those things are huge! I really don't know where I would put that....

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#104961 - 09/07/07 06:17 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

About storing those justrite cans...I have a section of my house that only gets sun for 1-2 a day and in the morning....so if I put those cans there, obviously filled, would I even need to worry about putting them in a shed?

They have the vapor valves on them...so if they did get hot then it would release the vapors...I hope smile

#104971 - 09/07/07 08:01 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

My garage gets sunlight all day. I spoke to a local company that sells generator and they said as long as the cans get vented, which the justrite cans already do, then I should not have any issues.

Justrite also said the same things about the ventilation.

The area I am going to place them in has no electrical outlets, pilot lights, etc. within 5 feet.

So I should be alright. My garage gets hotter then hades in the summer, because of the all day sun exposure.

Shouldn't I?

Edited by DeathtoToasters (09/07/07 09:16 PM)

#104984 - 09/07/07 10:50 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
As long as your garage has the wall vents on the bottom (as most of my California houses did), then it should be fine. Any gas vapors that vent from the Justrite cans will be able to escape from the garage. Also consider whether your garage sits below any other living space (i.e., first-floor garage sits below second-floor bedrooms), as that can cause some problems if the gasoline accelerates a fire.

There may be some other NFPA codes and recommendations (which I think includes not storing gasoline in any part of the actual house, unless it’s a detached building), but heeding the above paragraph would at least mitigate most of the risks.

#105043 - 09/09/07 01:20 AM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: JCWohlschlag]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Originally Posted By: JCWohlschlag
As long as your garage has the wall vents on the bottom (as most of my California houses did), then it should be fine. Any gas vapors that vent from the Justrite cans will be able to escape from the garage. Also consider whether your garage sits below any other living space (i.e., first-floor garage sits below second-floor bedrooms), as that can cause some problems if the gasoline accelerates a fire.

There may be some other NFPA codes and recommendations (which I think includes not storing gasoline in any part of the actual house, unless it’s a detached building), but heeding the above paragraph would at least mitigate most of the risks.

My local law says that I cannot store more then 100 gallons of gasoline on my residential location. I have the three 5 gal Justrite cans sitting on a metal storage rack fight next to the suicide vents (the slang term for the gas vapor vents)

I am putting a thermostat in the garage first for a few days and see how hot it really gets in there before I fill them up for gas. Just to make sure. Make sure of what? I don't know..... lmao.

Edited by DeathtoToasters (09/09/07 01:21 AM)

#105211 - 09/10/07 10:34 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Look at what I found:

http://duropower.com/index.asp?FID=14&level=1

the smallest they will see in california is the 15k version...a 1000lbs beast...but look at those stats!!

#105213 - 09/10/07 10:40 PM Re: Propane Storage....let's hear everyones ideas. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Also here:

Plus they lease...maybe this would be a better option. Since if the world goes to hell, then who needs to worry about payments smile

JUST KIDDING!!

http://www.generatorjoe.net/product.asp?0=541&1=552&3=451

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.