Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#104488 - 09/04/07 12:36 AM ???s about a rifle
REDDOG79 Offline

Loc: ENGLEWOOD ,TN
I have just recieved from my GF's grandfather a .22 LR bolt action rife with a tubular magazine. The funny thing is that there is absolutely no manufactureer's name, no caliber designation, (I do know it is a 22LR) and no serial or model number. The only thing it says on it is RANGER. I have tried to research it but there isn't much information to go by. I think it may be a Steven's rifle but i have learned RANGER is a house name for the SEARS company (which means many manufacturers could have made it). I have taken it to the range but it has a broke firing pin. I haven't gone as far as disassembling it yet. But if anyone has one of these rifles i would appreciate any info that is given.

It is a nice handling little rifle and I would like to get it into working order as it was given to us for my son to have when he is older.

#104497 - 09/04/07 12:47 AM Re: ???s about a rifle [Re: REDDOG79]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Sounds like the same type of rifle my friend had, and I got to shoot last year. It was kind of fun working the tiny bolt. Unfortunatly, I only got to use it once, and then it was stolen, so I can't get any info on it (if indeed it's the same kind). Enjoy it!

#104528 - 09/04/07 02:48 AM Re: ???s about a rifle [Re: MDinana]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A broken firing pin on a .22 rimfire is caused by A. simple fatique and or B. dry firing ( empty chamber.) This may also compromise the integrity of the breechface and chamber seal. There were countless retail firearms made, some by familiar names and not a few by long forgotten makers. Your piece can probably be put back into safe working order. Just remember that a .22 as introductory training firearm needs a decent degree of accuracy,site system and trigger; not to mention safety features. We certainly don't want to learn how to drive in either a Ferrari or Packard, fun as that may be.

#104531 - 09/04/07 03:15 AM Re: ???s about a rifle [Re: REDDOG79]
Jackpine_Savage Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
Give Brownells a call at 800-741-0015, or Gun Parts Corp. (old Nuemrich arms) at 845-679-4867. If the part is available one of them should have it and be able to help.

Take Care and Stay Safe

#104546 - 09/04/07 11:27 AM Re: ???s about a rifle [Re: REDDOG79]
gunsmith Offline

Loc: Co.'Douglas 80125
If you would post a photo, perhaps someone could give a good guess as to make & model, to help in your part search.

To be honest, as a house brand gun with no serial #, it was made before 1968 = 39+ years ago, chances are that parts will not be available, leaving you with limited options.

On the flip side, "Gun does not fire" does not always equal "Broken firing pin", several things can be the cause of the malfunction.

First things first, disassemble, clean, inspect......See what you've got, then you,ll know what you need.

#104567 - 09/04/07 03:36 PM Re: ???s about a rifle [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
If you or someone you know is an NRA member, they have access to experts.....there is a division that will answer members questions. You will need to provide EVERYTHING you know or can find about the firearm......even if you are not a gunsmith, you should be able to describe ANY markings on the gun. They may not have a lot of info on it but they may be able to give you some idea of where to begin. Another thing to try is a gun forum....someone there may know it.

#104780 - 09/06/07 01:33 AM Re: ???s about a rifle [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
REDDOG79 Offline

Loc: ENGLEWOOD ,TN
Chris,
the firing pin is either broke or the spring is really weak. You can see where the end of the firing pin is not rounded anymore it is actually flat and though this is an old rifle i believe it is broke. The round that i tried to fire out of it had an imprint on it and yes i know i should have left it in the barrel pointed downrange in case it went off. I loaded it in my revolver and it fired just fine. As far as this rifle being my teaching gun for my kids I have a Marlin semi auto that will suffice for that as well as a 22 revolver.

Jackpine,
Thanks for the numbers but i have to find a model number or figure out what parts i need first.

Gunsmith,
I have disassembled the rifle as far as i was willing to go before i test fired it. basically i took the one thumbscrew loose and removed the stock and cleaned it soon after recieving it. I have not figured out how to remove the bolt from it yet (I really haven't sat down and taken my time with it). I am thinking that if/when i get the bolt removed I can disassemble the bolt and find some new parts for it.

CJK,
The only markings i have found on it is the word RANGER. there are no proof marls or numbers anywhere on the rifle that i have been able to see.

Edited by REDDOG79 (09/06/07 01:34 AM)

#104786 - 09/06/07 02:25 AM Re: ???s about a rifle [Re: REDDOG79]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...You can see where the end of the firing pin is not rounded anymore it is actually flat..."

Most (all?) .22 rimfire firing pins are flat, usually rectangular in shape, not round like a centerfire. My guess is that either the spring is "weak," or more likely just gumbed up with crud. A good cleaning might get it shooting again...

#104925 - 09/07/07 12:07 PM Re: ???s about a rifle [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
When one of my 22s quit firing reliably, it was because the firing pin had been peened down so far that it hit a frame stop as the pin contacted the rim of the case, resulting in an inadequate dent for detonating the primer charge. This happened because it got dry-fired a lot by others.

#104940 - 09/07/07 03:19 PM Re: ???s about a rifle [Re: ]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Originally Posted By: l33tYoDuh

No mfg stamp?
No SN?
Not traceable?

That is an interesting bit of trivia to tell your daughter's
first teenage boyfriend along with your wealth of
trivia about composting :-)

Now there is a useful preparedness tip. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 410 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.