The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#103180 - 08/21/07 08:04 AM Re: Options for a Headlamp [Re: Big_John]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I have the Petzl Tikka XP and think it is great. It is with me whenever I go hiking and camping but I also take a Surefire G2 as well for the longer throw.

Maybe the Princeton Tech Apex can combine the two. I just got mine in the mail today and will likely test it out on my next camping trip during Labor Day weekend. So far, from a size and weight standpoint (and comfort too), I like my normal combo better.

For EDC, I carry a Fenix L0P or P1D CE, depending on what I think I will be doing.

Good luck on your choice.

#103181 - 08/21/07 11:15 AM Re: Options for a Headlamp [Re: OldBaldGuy]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I guess that I should mention that I also have an old Petzl Duo, the one before LED's, with two bulbs, one for close up battery saving use, and long distance juice eater. Uses four AA's, and is a lot larger and heaver than most headlamps seen today (altho they still make an upgraded LED version). I have my eyes on the Petzl Adapt system, just haven't popped for one yet...

#103206 - 08/21/07 06:09 PM Re: Options for a Headlamp [Re: teacher]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
The Zipka+ uses AAA, has 4 LEDs, and is very pocketable.

#103215 - 08/21/07 07:39 PM Re: Options for a Headlamp [Re: Brangdon]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

i believe in overkill.

got caught w/o a bright light after dark. would have hiked out had i had light. now i do.

petzl's advertising used to say this headlamp "owns the night." my experience, it does.

5 leds - 3 levels of brightness.
1 xenon.

batts in belt holder.

newer models have "aa" batts.

mine is older model w/4 c(?) d (?) cell batts.

heavy, but as i said, i beliebe in overkill.

good luck.

#103216 - 08/21/07 07:41 PM Re: Options for a Headlamp [Re: Alan_Romania]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania
For an EDC light, Petzl's e+Lite is my choice.

Light, small and versatile. All for under $30!

Standby for a detailed use report in ETS in the near future &#61514;

I have one. Along with half a dozen other Petzl's. Their quality is the reason why Petzel is the benchmark standard. The E+ is too fragile for continuous use. It's a superb emergency head torch. Which is what I purchased it for.

One point: For most practical purposes forget about needing to see more than 10-20 meters away. Ease of use, reliability, run time and battery availability are the most important considerations.

#103220 - 08/21/07 09:03 PM Re: Options for a Headlamp [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
I have one of Doug's recommended eQ lights (http://dougritter.com/dr_eq.htm) and I use it almost daily on my bike rides. I also have one in my BOB. The specs and battery life are decent. It wears well and its hard to beat the price of $14 and supporting this forum's foundation. ;^)

Good luck.

Cheers,
~Logan.

Edited by Logan (08/21/07 09:06 PM)

#103331 - 08/23/07 01:29 AM Re: Options for a Headlamp [Re: Loganenator]
Ronin Offline
Stranger

I would have to say that the Petzel Myo XP is an excellent headlamp, extremely bright, well designed, you hardly notice the batteries on the back of your head.

#103345 - 08/23/07 08:29 AM Re: Options for a Headlamp [Re: bsmith]
saniterra Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mebane, NC
+1 on the Princton Tech EOS. Great light, small, powerful, good battery life.

#103347 - 08/23/07 11:35 AM Re: Options for a Headlamp [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Ease of use, reliability, run time and battery availability are the most important considerations.

Agree, plus another for me: multi-level brightness. Many tasks when backpacking/camping are close-up — cooking, reading, map-reading, fiddling with equipment — where softer light might be desirable (bringing with it the added advantage of extending battery life).

Dan

#103349 - 08/23/07 12:14 PM Re: Options for a Headlamp [Re: xbanker]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
A headlamp is a great idea, I recently purchased the Petzl Tactikka (4 LED's plus red filter built-in) and have been impressed with it.

For 20 years I have carried a Mini-mag (LED converted for the past 3 years) and still do now. I use a Nite-ize headband for it but have not found it as good as a dedicated headlamp. The biggest difficulty I found with the Mini-Mag was the bulbs burning out at the worst times, if this happens in the black dark you need a second light to change the bulb.

I blew a bulb walking in to a deer hunting stand early one morning, I had to wait for near dawn to change the bulb as I did not have a second light. Therefore I missed the first (best) 1/2 hour of the hunt, since then I carry a mini-LED on my key ring.

I have many times held a Mini-mag in my mouth while doing a job requiring both hands, this is very hard on your teeth and you could choke on it. I have since put a Nite-ize neoprene sleeve on the Mini-mag to help with the problem (also makes it less cold in your hand) but a real headlamp is a much better solution.

Mike

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 275 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.