Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#10404 - 11/05/02 05:12 PM potassium permangate
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i got a few quartions regarding to potassium permangate ( KMnO4, cindy's cristals or whatever ).<br>were do you buy a small quatity of that stuff ( don't wanna buy one of those HUGE packs from some gardening/fish shops ) ( for a psk ) ? and if you repack it, what type of container should you use ( its very oxdizing ) ? <br>and the most importent quation is:<br>Is worth buying it / putting it in a psk ? i mean it usefull as <br>-antiseptic <br>-waterpurifciation<br>-snowmarker<br>-artifisial flint ( mixed with sugar )<br>-chemical fire ( mixed with glycerin )<br><br>but it is also <br>-lethal in large quatity ( swallowed )<br>-can cause burns on the skin wenn it is repeatedly used as an antiseptic ( or exidental spill on the skin of an large quantity )<br>-can cause instand blindness wenn in contact with your eye's<br>-hard to dose. i mean, how do you get 2-3 crystals ( dose for waterpurfication ) out of a vial ? with out poring some in your hand first ( causes irtation, possible burns, etc. ) even using tweezers to get only 2-3 crystals is like impossible.<br>-very hard to optain<br><br>so is it worth the risk ?<br>

#10405 - 11/05/02 05:54 PM Re: potassium permangate
mick Offline
dedicated member

Loc: England west yorkshire
I got mine from penrith survival equipment. They sell the items individually on request. My pp is store in a small plastic test tube with a plastic lid on it. I have actually been able to use it although it is dificult. I have laso had it come into contact with my skin for a short period of time and never burnt my self.<br>Hope this helps

#10406 - 11/05/02 06:15 PM Re: potassium permangate
Anonymous
Unregistered

NO! <br><br>There is no current medical indication for the use of potassium permangenate in modern medicine. IMO there are no uses for the chemical for which something more suitable cannot be substituted with less risk of injury.<br><br>Just an opinion.

Edited by Beachdoc (11/05/02 06:18 PM)

#10407 - 11/05/02 06:31 PM Re: potassium permangate
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Very strange that you said no. When I got a skin infection from a local swimming pool my doctor asked me to take baths in the solution of potassium permangate and water. It killed all the skin problems. I had some discoloration of the skin (aka it became yellow) but it passed after few days of regular showers. I remember using it also as a mild disinfectant and water purifier but only in super extreme cases. Plus this chemical got regular use in aquariums for fungus treatment.<br><br>Matt

#10408 - 11/05/02 11:40 PM Re: potassium permangate
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
PCK2,<br><br>There is a fairly large volume of potassium permanganate discussion in old threads on this site. <br><br>I tend to be in agreement with BeachDoc on the medical use, of KMnO4, and do not believe it is a very good choice for water purification. These reasons along with the fact that it is a very strong oxidizer that may cause damage to eyes and other tissues if improperly handled make it an item that must be fully understood and evaluated before you carry it in your PSK.<br><br>I do carry it in my primary PSK, but have a fair understanding of its limitations and risks. You can read my reasons in my old post on KMnO4 <br><br>I am now thinking that if I did not have any KMnO4 in my kit I would not try too hard to acquire it. The fire making reaction is fun, and impressive but it is really my absolute last choice for firemaking. I figure if I had my PSK there is no way that the only item left to support firemaking would be KMnO4.<br><br>I currently store my KMnO4 in a small polyethylene screw top vial that is water proof. I can dose small amounts of it using a sailmakers needle to dip into the vial. The sailmakers needle is triangular and the flat side works as a spatula. You should be able to whittle a small flat dry stick to use also.

#10409 - 11/06/02 03:46 AM Re: potassium permangate
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
I would have to agree with beachdoc as well. The risk is there if you are not careful. And I am careful what I injest.<br><br>Its too easy to buy water purification tablets.<br><br>Ted Fisher EMT I/D

#10410 - 11/06/02 06:37 AM Re: potassium permangate
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
Actually we do use KMnO4 for quite a few skin conditions and infections from weepy eczema to fungal infections in the feet / groin etc. It is a useful drug but needs to be used in the right concentration (i.e. what your medical service provider directs you to do).<br><br>

#10411 - 11/06/02 02:47 PM Re: potassium permangate
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

thanks for the replies<br>i think im gonna take Schwert's advise "if I did not have any KMnO4 in my kit I would not try too hard to acquire it" .....

#10412 - 11/07/02 02:03 AM Re: potassium permangate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not a compound in current use in the USA. It is capable of causing impressive burns when crystals are in contact with skin that is not dry. I reamember seeing that in the 70's in the Army when it was used for a foot soak.<br>Don't see that there is an advantage in using it when there are other suitable and safer alternatives.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 210 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
8 minutes 13 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.