Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#53792 - 11/16/05 12:40 AM Re: Reputation of being "equipped"
wildcard163 Offline

Loc: Illinois
First, here's to hoping that you never have to find out.
Second, if it comes down to it, hopefully, your "best" scenerio develops.
Third, don't forget to lock and load.

Troy

#53793 - 11/16/05 05:38 AM Re: Reputation of being "equipped"
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
And don't keep all your stuff in one place.

Sue

#53794 - 11/16/05 12:32 PM Re: Reputation of being "equipped"
NAro Offline
Addict

My closer friends know I'm equipped, as are many (but not all) of them. Often they jokingly say that if the SHTF they'll come over here and eat and drink MY stuff with me. I have two standard replies:

Reply #1: You're a good friend, and your family is welcome to anything I have... after I make sure there is sufficient for my family. Unfortunately, that may take several weeks.

Reply #2: Please come on over. Gutted, cut into strips, and sun dried you look like you'd provide us with around 50-60# of jerky. So please do come over.

#53795 - 11/16/05 11:55 PM Re: Reputation of being "equipped"
Vinosaur Offline
dedicated member

Loc: North Central IL
I guess the balance goes to how far you trust your fellow man.

You asked how many (if any friends and family know about my "preparedness")? Not any immediate neighbors. My wife and her family. The "what to do when" scenarios have been discussed among us. As for friends, there are some with whom these discussions have taken place, but most have not. It doesn't take very long to find out how most people feel about "preparedness". If they don't think about it or don't prepare, I don't waste my time. I am not the Shepperd.

#53796 - 11/17/05 08:12 PM Re: Reputation of being "equipped"
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I don't make a point or a big deal about being "equipped." I deploy my gear or first aid items when necessary. Word of mouth takes care of the rest.

-- Craig

#53797 - 11/18/05 07:38 PM Re: Reputation of being "equipped"
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
So we are back to the Twilight Zone episodes again.

Here's my conclusion after seeing how the average Iraqi fared when TSHTF:

You can acquire all the items you think you will need to survive during hard times. You will get to keep said items so long as you can prevent others from taking them from you, either by clandestiny, or by force. There were no exceptions.

If you plan on being equipped to survive in a community environment, you'd better include a suitable means of defense. Sooner or later, someone in need is bound to discover that you are doing better than they, and will want to do something about it.

#53798 - 11/18/05 07:59 PM Re: Reputation of being "equipped"
mtnhiker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Nevada,USA
One day I was out hiking with some friends and when we got back to the trucks I opened my tool box to get something out and the guys noticed all my gear that I had stored in it. My truck immediately took on the nickname of a "urban tactical vehicle" and they tease me about it often. however I have recently noticed the guys have started carrying alot of the same things i do......LOL funny how that works...

#103955 - 08/29/07 02:53 PM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: SheepDog]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
The only ones that know I'm prepared are my close friends and family. I made the mistake of talking to a couple of my employees about being prepared, they just shrugged it off and said if anything ever happens they will just come to my house,I said "NO your NOT" and they acted surprised, I explained to them that I just told them they needed to be prepared and how to prepare and that their response was :we'll come to your house" The jokes on them. Tell only those that you are prepared to help.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#103963 - 08/29/07 03:20 PM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My neighbors are the last people who will know that I'm a closet preparedness addict. The thing is, it's Southern California -- everyone should be prepared for big earthquakes and wildfires. Many just take it a day at a time.

#103976 - 08/29/07 05:49 PM Re: Reputation of being "equipped" [Re: Ors]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Close friends know.

Example:
We were just on a week-long beach house vacation with three other families. At some point, in the middle of the night, one of the moms knocked on our door and asked if they could have some ibuprofin. There was no question that I'd have several analgesics (in fact I have aspirin, ibuprofin, naproxin sodium and acetometiphin in the pharma section of the large FAK).

Later, on the beach, the question was "can we have some string?" not "do you have any string".

As we left, one car had a dead battery. Straight to me they came...can we use your jump-starter battery?

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.