Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#103931 - 08/29/07 12:34 PM Re: Most common reason hikers get stuck overnight. [Re: Shadow_oo00]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
A quick look at the topo would have saved a lot of frustration here. GPS is great, but if there is a cliff between you and the waypoint you want to get to that you didn't know about, it isn't worth squat. Map and compass, not GPS, are part of the regularly accepted 10 essentials.\

Bill

#103941 - 08/29/07 01:42 PM Re: Most common reason hikers get stuck overnight. [Re: williamlatham]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Inexperience at one end of the spectrum and over-confidence at the other. Susan's "lack of good judgment" works at either end.

As for Shadow_oo00's experience, I've got no problem with his adventure, looked like a learning experience that you need to enjoy first-hand. There may have been a bit of over-confidence, but as stated they were prepared to stay the night so no harm. You aren't stuck out overnight when you decide to stop and make camp. Sometimes that's good judgment and experience.

#104041 - 08/30/07 07:03 AM Re: Most common reason hikers get stuck overnight. [Re: Russ]
paulr Offline
Addict

I get lost incredibly easily (in fact managed to do it just outside the office a few weeks ago) and can lose a lot of time that way.

I haven't gotten stuck overnight yet, but I've underestimated return time on occasion and once ended up with the park rangers coming after me. They saw my car still in the parking lot as it started getting dark, so they had to presume I was lost or injured, when in fact I was still just trudging back down the nice safe trail. I wish they'd posted their phone number near the entrance gate so I could have called and told them I was fine.

#104064 - 08/30/07 03:07 PM Re: Most common reason hikers get stuck overnight. [Re: paulr]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I usually register with the rangers before a hike (and leave the same info in my car) who I am, where I'm going, how equipped, home phone, when expected back, cell phone or no, etc.

#104102 - 08/30/07 10:45 PM Re: Most common reason hikers get stuck overnight. [Re: countrymouse]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: countrymouse
Any direction - as opposed to in circles.

It always drove me nuts that the Blair Witch kids didn't follow the stream. However, they had supernatural spirits messing with their heads.

About 10 minutes into that movie, I wanted to kill them all myself. I really annoyed my wife by standing and cheering each time one of them got whacked!

#104105 - 08/30/07 11:22 PM Re: Most common reason hikers get stuck overnight. [Re: sodak]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
About 10 minutes into that movie, I wanted to kill them all myself. I really annoyed my wife by standing and cheering each time one of them got whacked!

Dito, after about 20 minutes did you also get the feeling that you've been conned ever so slightly as well by having to pay to see this heap of merda. Jumped up and shouted 'YES' in the cinema when the last sniveling snot nosed screaming dullard got bumped on the top of the cranium. 'Thank heaven someone has shut her up!'

Not as bad as Jim Carey in the 'Cable Guy' though, walked out after half an hour.

#104111 - 08/31/07 12:47 AM Re: Most common reason hikers get stuck overnight. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
Shadow oo00, you did not do anything wrong. #1 you were prepared.

Time, darkness and mother nature bit you in the butt.

It has happened to all of us.

Welcome

#104198 - 08/31/07 10:12 PM Re: Most common reason hikers get stuck overnight. [Re: Shadow_oo00]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: Shadow_oo00
I have to disagree with you Halcon, my judgement is sound, I was prepared to walk out or spend the night....which is what I thought this sight was all about, being prepared. Maybe I'm wrong and need to rethink things. Someone help me out here, what did I do wrong?

Nothing to worry about, Shadow_oo00. Halcon’s post is technically a reply to IzzyJG99’s earlier post (as noted in the top bar of the post), but contextually is a reply to Susan’s earlier post. Sometimes seeing the structure of all the replies can be difficult in “flat mode”. If you ever get confused about who’s replied to who, try switching your view over to “threaded mode” by choosing it in the Topic Options button at the top of the thread. This board takes a bit of getting used to in order to reply to the post that you’re actually replying to and so forth.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.