Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#103302 - 08/22/07 07:37 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Spiritwalker]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Well, there's this: folding oven
It's supposed to work on any stove.

#103307 - 08/22/07 08:28 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Loganenator]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
While looking at sites for alcohol stoves I came across this site alcohol stoves The man who makes the stoves was using simple cooking gear to create an oven of sorts. In his video section he shows how to use it. He did a test of the White Box Stove (not made by him) which helped me decide to by the WBS. I have never made a purchase from him (may in future) but was impressed.

#103318 - 08/22/07 11:26 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Spiritwalker]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
As with most questions, I think it depends on what situation you're in. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so our most likely long-term situation is an earthquake. I live in a city, and my expectation is that there will be plenty of cars with nowhere to drive them, so I have a Coleman stove that runs on white gas and unleaded gas, along with a siphon and a car opener. (Not to mention the propane stoves with little green propane cans and the big bottle.)

I'm less concerned about fuel than food, as I assume I'll be trapped in a certain area by collapse of overpasses, so there'll be plenty of cars to siphon, but less food after the run on stores. If we do run out of fuel before we run out of food, I'll be happy to start tearing down all the wooden fences the city required in our development. :-> I'm confident there'll be plenty of wood in the collapsed frame houses in my area of town.

#103333 - 08/23/07 01:58 AM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I too have heated with hot rocks, but never cooked. And you are right on about the rocks...

In 3rd or 4th grade, we did a "project" in class (read: the teacher did the work), where we heated the rocks, and then threw them into a bucket of soup. Worked rather well, actually. Just eat the soup around the rocks. Probably should rinse them first.

Not sure how any issues with rocks exploding was avoided. i throw this out here for contemplation only!

#103638 - 08/26/07 11:14 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: ]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Klose trailer BBQ Pit smoker with a wood/charcoal steak grill and a propane fish fryer burner. The pit will burn wood, charcoal or propane. Heavy duty king kooker 2 burner propane grill. Freestanding wood fired BBQ. Outback Camping Products Stainless Steel Camp Stove/Oven that works with 20+ pound propane tanks; 6-40 pound; 8=30 pound. A couple of whisperlite international multi-fuel single burner camping stove.

14-20 pound tanks (I cater! ), several wood burning steak grills.

#103794 - 08/28/07 11:10 AM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: frostbite]
Spiritwalker Offline

Originally Posted By: frostbite
Yes, pop rivets. I had researched alcohol stoves and was all set to try my hand at it then happened to read someone's comment that if the stove was stepped on it would be cold meals for the rest of the trip (a Leave No Trace hiker i think). The stove feels like it could take a beating and still hold up, but is still small and lightweight.

I like the look of the White Box Stove enough that I picked up several aluminum beer bottles to experiment with.

One thing about the soda-can stoves... they certainly are somewhat fragile but after making 4 or 5, putting one together is quick and easy with just a multi-tool and a large safety pin (To poke the holes. I don't bother with metal tape or JB Weld.) The cans and fuel are readily available anywhere except the backwoods. I think of it as another skill in my survival/emergency preparedness arsenal.

Edited by Spiritwalker (08/28/07 11:17 AM)

#103810 - 08/28/07 02:13 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Spiritwalker]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
Agree completely, my problem with building is the test firing, apartment dwellers as pyromaniacs are frowned on and the rangers at the national park/archeaological site wouldn't be too happy either. Where is the fun in building if you can't tell if it's done right?

#103826 - 08/28/07 04:34 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: frostbite]
Tirec Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Rocky Mountain West
Hello all, I'm new to the forum.

In many areas, storing enough petroleum based fuel for long term is tricky, illegal or against covenants (if they're discovered). One area I've been investigating is solar, retained heat cooking, or high efficiency methods.

Heat-retention/Fire-less cooking takes the food to the desired temperature, then puts it into insulation where the heat continues to cook without the further expenditure of potentially scarce fuel.
http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Heat-retention_cooking
http://solarcooking.org/heat%2Dretention/

Solar ovens, obviously use the sun to cook food. Most of these are a far cry from the elementary or jr. high science projects.
http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://solarcooking.org/plans/

Another method I've been studying is the low-tech/high efficiency fire pit or stove from Aprovecho at http://www.aprovecho.org/web-content/publications/publications.html

They take the basic fire and make it much more efficient, thereby using less fuel. They have videos and printable instructions for making the Vita stove, a rocket stove, even a dung burning stove (hey, pioneers in the 19th century used buffalo chips!).

My 2¢ worth.

#103833 - 08/28/07 05:06 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Tirec]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Thanks, and Welcome, Newguy...

#103848 - 08/28/07 08:14 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: philip]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
[quote] along with a siphon and a car opener./quote]

Philip,

Can you please tell us more about the "car opener"? Is it something to bypass the siphon blocker?

Thanks.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.