Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#103820 - 08/28/07 03:43 PM Northern Bushcraft/Survival
jjmagnum Offline

Let me preface this by saying that I have no connection to Diving Sparrow Knifeworks other than the fact that its chief asset Abe Elias is a friend. I have no business interest in Diving Sparrow Knifeworks and recieve no remuneration for my comments.

There are those who know me well and know that I am not a thin blade Scandi kinda guy. I can however be persuaded when I find something that really catches my eye, and has a practical aspect to it. Such is the case with my new knives from Abe Elias (Diving Sparrow Knifeworks http://home.cogeco.ca/~aelias/ ). First and foremost is what Abe is now calling his Northern Bushcraft/Survival (NBS).

This is very similar to the knife that Abe made for Steve Dick and was recently featured in a side bar article in "Tactical Knives Magazine". There were some subtle differences (features)that I requested Abe to add. For example I asked for a sparking rod notch on the thumb rest, and some checkering on the hammer poll for use in scraping out spoons and such. Other than that it is:

Overall Length: 10 1/4" inches
blade length:: 5 inches
Steel: 1095 1/8th inch
Handle material: Orange G-10

I met up with Abe in Detroit where he passed over my new NBS and a surprise another new creation the Savannah Jr.!

The Savannah Jr. is the smaller version of the Bushcrafter that I had ordered last year which Abe now calls the Savannah. Here's the two of them (Savannah and Jr.) on either side of the NBS.

Although I haven't had a lot of time to test it however I must say it slices, it dices, it even shaves seasoned walnut!

The tomato was fresh from the garden (and a mite green). All the slices were made by alternating push cuts and pull cuts. The NBS literally dropped through the tomato with the slightest pressure. I noticed today that its beginning to develope an interesting patina from the tomato cuts.

The Savannah Jr. is a cuttin' little machine as well (just like its daddy)...

I have to say that I am well satisfied. Now the only question that remains is, which one do I carry during hunting season???

#103821 - 08/28/07 03:58 PM Re: Northern Bushcraft/Survival [Re: jjmagnum]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Nice. You could have a kydex sheath made what will carry both...

#103828 - 08/28/07 04:37 PM Re: Northern Bushcraft/Survival [Re: ]
jjmagnum Offline

OBG- that sounds like a good idea... I might have to look that direction.

Thanks Izzy, I'm rather partial to the M6 myself.

#103834 - 08/28/07 05:30 PM Re: Northern Bushcraft/Survival [Re: jjmagnum]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada

Hi jjmagnum,

Very fuctional looking knives, Thanks for the post.

Mike

#103847 - 08/28/07 08:11 PM Re: Northern Bushcraft/Survival [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
IzzyJG99, just a cautionary note: some short-barrelled rifles are classified as "restricted" in Canada, falling into the same category as handguns. Getting one across the border could take a lot of paperwork, if it's allowed at all. You may be better off sticking with long guns.

#103859 - 08/28/07 09:13 PM Re: Northern Bushcraft/Survival [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi,

The Canadian firearms laws are restrictive but a standard M6 .22/.410 is still classified as a non-restricted weapon (because it is not a semi-auto, was manufactured with the short barrel length, is over 26" in total length and is intended to be fired with 2 hands).

A permit is required to import any firearm into Canada, check out the Canadian Firearms Centre website at www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca it explains the complex legislation well.

Mike

#103907 - 08/29/07 03:54 AM Re: Northern Bushcraft/Survival [Re: SwampDonkey]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...A permit is required to import any firearm into Canada..."

True, and it is a piece of cake. Last year we went to Alaska, and took along the Remington 870 that is always with us. Just download the forms (three copies, and DO NOT sign them 'til you get to the border crossing). The whole procedure took no more than 15 minutes, and $25 Canadian...

#103912 - 08/29/07 04:20 AM Re: Northern Bushcraft/Survival [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
That sounds right. Americans bringing hunting rifles into Canada for legitimate sporting purposes will normally have little trouble. But trying to bring in a handgun or assault-style rifle is a different thing, and may lead to some pointed inquiries from the local constabulary. So do a little homework beforehand to ensure things go smoothly, and "welcome aboard."

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
4 registered (chaosmagnet, Jeanette_Isabelle, sgt253, Ren), 200 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
25 minutes 15 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.