Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#103658 - 08/27/07 03:13 AM Re: Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelt [Re: Halcon]
bmisf Offline

I own a couple of Hennessy hammocks and like them - but am not sure I'd use them as a survival shelter. One issue is lack of flexibility - without suitably-sized trees, they're challenging to set up. Most notably, a bottom-entry hammock doesn't make a good ground shelter (I've done it with the Hennessy and some hiking poles - definitely not ideal).

I think a lightweight tent or a bivy sack/poncho tarp combo are probably a better survival solution, unless you live in an area where you're sure to always find yourself around suitable trees and in suitable temperatures for the hammock.

#103660 - 08/27/07 03:50 AM Re: Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelt [Re: Halcon]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Halcon As I said I have tested the system in below 0 Temps. It does work. The low pitch is to cut the wind. To block heat radiation is the job of the modified and attached heavy duty space blanket. Essentially the casualty blanket first mentioned. It is on the outside and even if it were not it doesn't compress. Adding in the in essence reflector oven setup warms the sleeping space quite a bit.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#103666 - 08/27/07 06:46 AM Re: Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelt [Re: Halcon]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Aloha Alan,

Can you tell me more about your homemade hammock and maybe include some pictures? I always wanted to try hammock camping but didn't know where to start. I don't know of too many places that sell hammocks here that I can physically check out before buying.

Homemade for 15 bucks sounds great to me!

Mahalo,
your fellow hoodlum, hanzo

#103670 - 08/27/07 12:00 PM Re: Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelt [Re: aloha]
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

Raspy, Either I didn't read that part, or I didn't understand it; but, now I can picture the setup... Sorry if I misunderstood.

I can see how it works. In fact, I know it works, because I have used similar setups

again, sorry!

hey hanzo, good to see you here.

the hammock is 15 dollars, because I use three yards of 1.9oz ripstop material.

it really is very easy to make, and here is a site with directions on various setups.

[url=hammockforums.net]hammockforums.net[/url]

#103782 - 08/28/07 06:15 AM Re: Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelt [Re: Halcon]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
thanks Alan

#103783 - 08/28/07 07:39 AM Re: Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelt [Re: aloha]
Spiritwalker Offline

I prefer the hammock for my BOB. I think it's much more versatile and comfortable than other shelters. In cold weather, when bug protection is not an issue, a Hennessey can be hung inside a lean-to and used as a regular hammock rather than bottom entry.

I haven't tried it yet but intend to this winter. Laying on top of the netting should allow me to feed the fire in front of the lean-to periodically without getting out of my sleeping bag. I'll try to post a report and pictures after.

#103785 - 08/28/07 08:27 AM Re: Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelt [Re: Spiritwalker]
MedicineMan Offline

Loc: upper east TN
Like some posters above I too have bought many hammocks--4 Hennesseys so far, some given to the kids as gifts. There is NO more comfortable way for me to sleep, even compared to a 2K memory foam mattress. But for BOBs the hammock does have sever limitations--I admit this even after over 100 nights in a Hennessey or Speer in the backcountry. Here's the rub...if you are truly bugging out you may have to sleep in a ditch, in a tunnel, storm drain, bombed out building, out in flat open ground, etc. It would be nice to think you'll be bugging out to heavily wooded areas all the time but Murphy doesnt work that way.
Now the positive. My Hennessey Lite Racer is one pound 4 ounces....at that weight penalty I can carry two shelters. The other shelter for my BOB is one of the older Slumberjack Bivy Tents-the one that is very low to the ground...and with that I carry a 3/4 length Thermarest....
OK so not all hammocks are equal in cold wether performance. If you live in COLD climates and think a hammock is for you look at the Speer and speer type hammocks and then buy the Speer Pea Pod...I've used all the underquilts available and they rule for spring/summer/fall, but for hard on winter temps the Pea Pod cannot be beat.

#103816 - 08/28/07 03:13 PM Re: Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelt [Re: Halcon]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
.....Bottom loading hammocks are more troublesome......

could you go into detail please?

#103829 - 08/28/07 04:40 PM Re: Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelt [Re: frostbite]
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

well, For one, the only reason they're bottom loading is the "NON" removable bug net. That being the case it is more difficult to maneuver the pad underneath you. Is it that big a deal? depends on who you ask. Personally, I rather not have to do that.

Second, as bmisf pointed out, they don't make good ground shelters. Of course, the argument could be made One could sleep on the netting to feed the fire, as spiritwalker pointed out. Again, personal taste, but I rather have a removable bug net.

Do these personal experiences prove they're troublesome? Maybe not to others, but to me they are reason enough not to own one again.

#103864 - 08/28/07 10:01 PM Re: Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelt [Re: Halcon]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
thanks!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.