Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#103604 - 08/26/07 01:26 PM urban surival protection question
ScouterMan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
A comment and a question

Thanks to all of the great posts here, I’ve finally realized that I need to get moving with my contingency plans and not just think about them. I just got back from my physical (first in a few years) and I’ve finally scheduled that long delayed dentist appointment to look at that bothersome tooth. I realize the danger of being caught without those items taken care of.

I’ve started to put together a survival kit for everyday carry. For awhile, I carried Doug’s Pocket Survival Pak in my lunch box and thought that was adequate. However, I’ve reassessed my plans after what I’ve read here.

My main issue is that I live in the ‘burbs, but work in Boston and take the train to get there. If TSHTF while at work, the roads (lousy at the best of times) and public transportation will not be options. That leaves walking home (~ 25 miles).

I’ve started with an Army Surplus canvas messenger bag. This is rugged, has lots of nooks and crannies to organize gear and blends in with what everyone is carrying. This last part is important since the public transportation hubs here have a huge police presence and I don’t want to stand out. That is why I have shied away from belt pouches. My Leatherman sheath draws enough stares as it is.

I’ve based the contents on Doug’s PSK, but expanded it. I have more first aid supplies (including a SAM splint), rain ponchos, water bladder and purification tablets, Heatsheet blanket, extra gloves and socks, extra fire starting gear, a monocular, emergency food bars, etc.

My main question (for now) is personal protection in an urban setting. In the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, they make it extremely difficult to protect yourself. A firearm is out of the question here. You even need an FID card to carry pepper spray. I can’t order a knife or collapsible baton on-line since they won’t ship to Massachusetts. I will probably take an out of state trip to buy these.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this issue? While I’m a good size guy with some martial arts training in my younger days, I’m not a spring chicken anymore and wouldn’t want to rely on it.

#103605 - 08/26/07 01:38 PM Re: urban surival protection question [Re: ScouterMan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
First, get in shape. Not being a spring chicken doesn't mean you aren't fit. You might want to consider going back to martial arts training. . . and then start walking to/from public transportation with a cane. They make very nice canes these days.

Is it illegal to carry a knife in your messenger bag?

#103606 - 08/26/07 01:45 PM Re: urban surival protection question [Re: ScouterMan]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
ScouterMan,

Welcome to the fire! Seems lke you are well on yor way to being prepared. As for the self defense in your state, how about one of the Listserne mouthwash sprays mentioned in another thread? Hitting a bad guy in the face with 80% alcohol should give you a few seconds to make your next move.

If you have no qualms about totally destroying a bag guy look for the small aerosol spray cans of oven cleaner. That was a secret weapon a girlfriend taught me up in New York. The trick is having it readibly available if needed and avoiding collateral damage.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#103608 - 08/26/07 02:26 PM Re: urban surival protection question [Re: Blast]
ScouterMan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
RAS,
Great suggestion! The kids are always commenting on my increasing quantity of gray hair, so a cane would complete the image and be a useful tool at he same time. It would be a great alternative to my hiking staff in the above mentioned situation.

I can carry a knife in my bag, and plan too, but the selection is somewhat limited at the local stores. I am looking for a solid survival knife, like the one that USAF issues to there air crews. Any other recommendations? Even the local Army / Navy stores are limited in what they can carry here. Looks like a trip to New Hampshire is in order (any excuse to visit God's country!). grin

#103609 - 08/26/07 02:32 PM Re: urban surival protection question [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Ditto to the cane idea.

Seems to me, if I was prepping to walk 25 miles and needed some defensive capabilities, I'd be carrying a good, stout hickory walking stick.

It's a substantial deterrent, and a capable weapon in the hands of someone who knows the basics.

(I'm leery of knives; they're a totally last-ditch option. Like it or not, a knife fight means close contact with the personal fluids of a high-risk individual.)

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

Edited by dougwalkabout (08/26/07 02:33 PM)

#103612 - 08/26/07 03:07 PM Re: urban surival protection question [Re: dougwalkabout]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
For me a knife is a prerequisite in any survival kit. Not for use in defense (or offense) but as a tool for cutting lots of other things that need to be cut. Doug Ritter's RSK Mk1 would be my first recommendation for a survival kit.

#103614 - 08/26/07 03:23 PM Re: urban surival protection question [Re: ScouterMan]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

I believe you need to first define the risks and realities carrying a banned knife whether it be during normal times or an emergency.

1) I could be mistaken, however during and after 9/11 and the 2003 power blackouts there was no real increase in crime (aside from some looting) such as muggings, robberies etc. All the news I seen and heard were of people like you who just wanted to get home.

2) To carry a knife and to effectively use it in self-defense are two completely different realities. Although you have a martial arts background, it no substitute for essentially what is hand to hand combat fighting with a knife. Also a previous poster mentioned about the risks of bodily fluids..that to me is almost enough deterrent.

3) Is there enough crime in your area that carrying a knife in Massachusetts is worth the risk of getting caught with said knife in normal times, let alone during an emergency when authorities would even be more vigilent. According to this website the laws and penalties are quite strict and draconian in your state.

4) In any urban or rural environment, I think that you could find a lot more effective self-defense options that would serve a better purpose then a knife.

#103615 - 08/26/07 03:50 PM Re: urban surival protection question [Re: Russ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: RAS
For me a knife is a prerequisite in any survival kit. Not for use in defense (or offense) but as a tool for cutting lots of other things that need to be cut.

Well said. My sentiments exactly. I wouldn't be without one (or two or three). I don't flash them around in an urban environment, though, because a lot of people don't think "tool" when they see one. Discretion is important.

#103625 - 08/26/07 07:40 PM Re: urban surival protection question [Re: dougwalkabout]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I agree with the above posts. Part of you defense should be, for want of a better word, attitude. Numerous studies of street crime over the years has shown that certain factors increase your chances of being a victim. Things like looking out of place (e.g. the tourist with the camera around the neck, etc), looking lost, confused, etc, being off the "beaten path," walking like you may have a physical problem and so on. My experience is some not so nice places seem to confirm this. Look like a victim and you will be one. Look like you know what you are doing and you are less likely. The trick is not to come off aggressive, but like you are not worth the effort when there are easier targets. The cane is a good idea, but don't walk like you are depending on it.

A part of this is situational awareness. Are you familiar with the walk home route? If you would not feel comfortable walking there in "normal" times, would you really want to do it in "bad" times?" is there a better route?

I also might have to walk home, a much shorter distance than your near "marathon" (about 7 miles). I think some route planning and alternative routes, along with some planned stops/safe-havens might be worth thinking about also. 25 miles at 3 miles an hour is about 8 hours: a good hike in the best of conditions, and your walk will not be in the best of conditions (nor will mine).

#103627 - 08/26/07 07:55 PM Re: urban surival protection question [Re: ScouterMan]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
You are carrying socks, shove something heavy into the toe and slip the socks into an easy to reach pocket. A belt with a heavy buckle could be used in a similar manner. Possibly a squeeze bottle like a recycled mustard bottle could be filled with alcohol and tabasco or pepper juice, anything that will sting and burn.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 166 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.