Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#103564 - 08/25/07 10:06 PM Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelter
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
I'm looking to carry one in my BOB (which I always have close). I Like the fact that its lightweight and can go pretty much anywhere. The insulation issue has me concerned though. I have a combat casualty blanket that I would use to keep the wind out, reflect heat etc.

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=7953&TabID=548

Any advice/opinions are appreciated.

Thanks
Blitz

#103573 - 08/26/07 12:57 AM Re: Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelter [Re: Blitz]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
i can't speak for the thermal blanket, but if i were going to shelter in a hammock in temperatures that would require insulation, i would go with a mummy type sleeping bag. bulky yes, fairly lightweight, and seems ideally shaped for a hammock. i own a 30F mummy bag from coleman that i rather like. i've had it for years and it shows no signs of damage, though i haven't exactly abused it either. i haven't tried any other bags, but i'm sure others will give their own recommendations.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#103574 - 08/26/07 01:14 AM Re: Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelter [Re: Erik_B]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
I have a Snugpak +5 degree bag in my BOB.

http://www.snugpak.com/30_codegreen/elite4.htm

But "they" say the hammock compresses the sleeping bag insulation and makes it less effective. Not sure if it is a marketing ploy or not, there are a lot of aftermarket assessories people are selling for big $ to insulate the bottom of the hammock.

#103593 - 08/26/07 04:02 AM Re: Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelter [Re: Blitz]
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

as an avid hammocker and owner of a hennesey and other hammocks, I can respond.

First regardless of your prefered sleeping method, you should always use a pad of some sort.

on the ground you'll lose heat to conduction and in a hammock you'll lose it to convection.

Bags insulative quality come from the loft. once compressed, be it in a hammock or on the ground, that portion of the bag doesn't do what it was intended to do.

Second, I sleep exclusivly in a hammock when out. depending on the temperature, I'll use a vehicle windshield reflector for night temperatures down to 50f. For temps down to around 20f a thermarest pad.

Others have gone lower with both type of insulations, so your mileage may vary.

I suggest, before you depend on it, to practice and find out what is comfortable with you.

that being said, The best sleep I have ever had comes from a hammock

Edited by Halcon (08/26/07 04:02 AM)

#103596 - 08/26/07 04:57 AM Re: Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelt [Re: Blitz]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
In my article
The Brooks Brothers Brigade Office Cashe

About the last third I discuss using a Hennessy as a sleeping system. It address the use of the system in cold conditions and how I overcame the problem.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#103599 - 08/26/07 06:04 AM Re: Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelter [Re: Halcon]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: Halcon

Bags insulative quality come from the loft. once compressed, be it in a hammock or on the ground, that portion of the bag doesn't do what it was intended to do.

....thermarest pad.....

I second the use of a ThermaRest self inflating pad in a HH when temp are going down...

#103617 - 08/26/07 04:16 PM Re: Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelter [Re: frenchy]
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

Raspy, I can only speak from experience. And, after having been in a hammock for a decade, I can tell you, hanging a hammock low to the ground, doesn't really work to stop convection heat loss.

I know where you are coming from, you can pitch the tarp lower, to the ground if need be and prevent the wind from blowing you. But, while the wind may be blocked, you are still "radiating" body heat away from you, And a hammock is simply not designed with any type of insulation. In warmer climates, sure you can sleep without a pad... I've done that! In colder climates, Not a chance.

Are they feasable for bugout gear? Depends on how big a kit you're willing to travel with. For bugging out, I rather not use a hammock. I prefer to use the space taken up by the hammock for other things.

Will I go camping without one? absolutely not. I prefer not go if I have to sleep on the ground.

Raspy, your mileage may vary, but the majority of folks will need a pad. Even here in Sunny Southern California, in the middle of summer, I need a pad for night time use. Of course, I'm sleeping outside.

for even colder weather, you might consider a peapod. basically, a sleeping bag that goes on the outside of you hammock, but since it is not compressed it doesn't lose its insulative properties

my recommendation, go check out the various hammock forums

halcon

#103618 - 08/26/07 04:21 PM Re: Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelter [Re: frenchy]
aardvark Offline

Loc: So. California
I have one for camping, you need a pad to stay warm in all but the warmest weather. This is generally true, whether you have a tent or hammock as was mentioned earlier. To really be warm and to cut weight, there are down quilts that you can get, one for underneath the hammock and one on top of you, but they're not cheap.
The only other thing to think about is where you are and if there are lots of strong vertical things to tie to, trees or whatever. If you're in the desert with no trees, a tent might be better. I suppose you could rig the hammock on the ground with trekking poles, but it would basically be a tarp and you wouldn't be suspended off the ground. I haven't tried this yet.

#103632 - 08/26/07 09:42 PM Re: Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelt [Re: Blitz]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
hammock hq Large amount of info here. I also have been considering hammocks with the Clark Jungle Hammock and Hennessey being the two I would choose from. The CJH has an interesting take on insulation and storage I find appealing.

#103636 - 08/26/07 10:54 PM Re: Hennessy hammock as lightweight survival shelt [Re: frostbite]
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

The Hennessey, in my opinion and experience is inferior in user adaptability. Bottom loading hammocks are more troublesome than they are worth. Add to that "non removable bug net" and, in my opinion, are not up to par. Many people like them, and that is okay, but I don't like them... yes I own one.

for my taste, I have found my homemade one far superior to a Hennessey, and it only cost me 15 dollars.

Double layer hammocks are the way to go. You can insert your pad between the layers and not worry about having to shift the pad underneath you.

would I ever own a Hennessey again? absolutely not... At least not in the current configuration.

Alan

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.