Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#103611 - 08/26/07 03:02 PM Re: Equipped to Survive: A trip to the ER [Re: ZenEngineer]
MRPrice Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK. United States of Am...
I carry something like this that I found free online Free ID

It covers the basics and has been a huge help the number of times we've gone to the ER and I can just hand them the info instead of trying to remember it all in a stressful situation

(I have no interest in the linked site other than having used it)

#103621 - 08/26/07 05:28 PM Re: Equipped to Survive: A trip to the ER [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
For lots of info, how about this:

Get a small address book with a cardboard cover. Pull out the guts and discard.

Type up your information, and print it into a long, skinny (to fit the cover) set of pages, tape the ends together in the right place, then accordion-pleat the paper and glue one end into the back cover. When opened the whole long stream of info would hang down.

Write 'Medical History' on the cover in a size to be seen. You could tie a piece of heavy-duty thread around it and fasten with a knot. (All medical personnel have scissors, and I'll bet every LEO has a multi-tool. Of course, if you could find a clear plastic sleeve it would fit into, that would be good, too.

Just an idea.

Sue

#103716 - 08/27/07 08:11 PM Re: Equipped to Survive: A trip to the ER [Re: OldBaldGuy]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Hey, OldBaldGuy, maybe that PocketMod thing would work for you instead of a business card.

#103745 - 08/28/07 12:09 AM Re: Equipped to Survive: A trip to the ER [Re: OldBaldGuy]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Some of my patients come in frequently from nursing homes, and even though we have documented on a living will their wishes and they have been DNR status on previous admissions, they are still a full code until the doctor writes that magic "DNR" order for that current admission.

The living will or advanced medical directive is only documentation of the patient's wishes and the patient is always a full code until the physician writes "Do No Resucitate" for that admission.

I've had patients that changed their minds and wanted to be full codes on subsequent admissions.

Keep in mind that a DNR order (at least in LA) becomes null and void if one family member objects (even an estranged adult child that hasn't had contact in years).

I've had that happen and it wasn't pretty.

It was one of those Jerry Springer smack-down moments with the crash cart in the middle until we got family out of the room.

Because of that I'm really pro-active in making sure that all family members involved are on the same page (which takes some doing).

Tell your family (even the ones you don't like because they're the ones that are going to cause the problems) what you're wishes are regardless of your age (MVA's happen) and put it in writing.

The living wills aren't a legally binding contract but they are hard proof for your loved ones of what you want or don't want done.

(Picture a distraut wife in the ICU waiting area in the middle of the night saying "I remember Skippy talking about that but I can't remember exactly what he said...." )

It sure can save a lot of grief and guilt for the loved ones in making the decision to have the physician make someone DNR.

I've had families that felt that by agreeing to have their mom made DNR that they were signing her death warrant which is of course not the case.

They were simply sparing their mom a lot of torture when the end result was going to be the same.

#103763 - 08/28/07 02:43 AM Re: Equipped to Survive: A trip to the ER [Re: JCWohlschlag]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Looks interesting, thanks...

#103767 - 08/28/07 02:56 AM Re: Equipped to Survive: A trip to the ER [Re: OldBaldGuy]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Yeah - Mom, Dad and I all knew Mom's wishes. I'm sure the aide could have tried CPR on Mom, but why? We all knew that even with total 100% life support effort, we might have extended her 'life' a few days, at most

I had more than one aide, and the MD, Nurse and Social worker from Hospice all tell me the same thing "Your Mom took her illness with as much grace as any person we ever saw" (all three were in tears). Mom NEVER complained, never "why me" - when she was told she had incurable lung cancer, she IMMEDIATELY looked at me and said "promise me one thing - You'll NEVER lie to me about what is happening" - My reply was that I wasn't in a habit of lieing to her, and I wasn't going to start now. Mom knew what was happening, and accepted it - she said "don't try to cure me - setup my treatment so that I have as much GOOD time as I can, so I can enjoy my family" When my time comes, I hope it's with 1/2 as much class
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#103770 - 08/28/07 03:13 AM Re: Equipped to Survive: A trip to the ER [Re: KG2V]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Sounds like your mom was a pretty cool lady...

#103798 - 08/28/07 12:44 PM Re: Equipped to Survive: A trip to the ER [Re: OldBaldGuy]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Sounds like your mom was a pretty cool lady...

I think so - last night was a bit of a "need to talk" - only the 2nd or third time I've let it out since she died - thanks everyone for listening.
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#103800 - 08/28/07 01:04 PM Re: Equipped to Survive: A trip to the ER [Re: KG2V]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Anytime...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.