Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#103183 - 08/21/07 12:10 PM Storing shoes and clothes in hot car trunk?
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
My typical daily attire is either a suit and tie or a Nomex uniform, so I need to store more suitable BOB clothes in the trunk of my car. My concern is that the extreme heat of Southern summers will eventually degrade the adhesives and plastics used in most boots and shoes today (especially the lighter-weight ones), and, to a lesser extent, things like elastic, nylon fabric, and waterproof coatings. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this potential problem?

Thanks,

Jeff

#103185 - 08/21/07 12:23 PM Re: Storing shoes and clothes in hot car trunk? [Re: Jeff_M]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
We keep spare clothing in the storage pod (heat absorbing black in color) on top of our car, along with camping gear, etc. They have been in there for years (either stored in those huge zip loc bags, or vacuum shrunk and sealed), in the summer heat of the Central CA area, the Mojave Desert, lots of hot places, and we haven't noticed a problem yet...

#103191 - 08/21/07 12:49 PM Re: Storing shoes and clothes in hot car trunk? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Car interiors get real hot, but how hot do trunks get? I'd guess not as hot as the interior.

#103197 - 08/21/07 03:27 PM Re: Storing shoes and clothes in hot car trunk? [Re: Russ]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

I normally carry my Firefighting boots in the rear of my truck (in a camper shell) here in southeren Calif the rear of the camper will normally go over 110 Deg. they have been in there for 2 years with no problem. of course they are good boots with stiched on soles and nailed heels. I don't think the temp. will bother a good boot.

#103198 - 08/21/07 03:55 PM Re: Storing shoes and clothes in hot car trunk? [Re: big_al]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
If you have concerns, you may consider using one of those large soft-sided insulated food coolers like they have at Sams for storage of these items. The insulation may help prevent some of the temperature extremes.

Craig.

#103199 - 08/21/07 04:43 PM Re: Storing shoes and clothes in hot car trunk? [Re: big_al]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: big_al

I normally carry my Firefighting boots in the rear of my truck (in a camper shell) here in southeren Calif the rear of the camper will normally go over 110 Deg. they have been in there for 2 years with no problem. of course they are good boots with stiched on soles and nailed heels. I don't think the temp. will bother a good boot.

I like to think my bunker boots and other firefighting gear have above-average heat resistance. smile

I also have some heavy sewn-welt leather boots that should be OK, but I'm concerned about heat damaging light hikers that have a lot of adhesives and artificial materials in them.

Jeff

#103200 - 08/21/07 04:44 PM Re: Storing shoes and clothes in hot car trunk? [Re: celler]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: celler
If you have concerns, you may consider using one of those large soft-sided insulated food coolers like they have at Sams for storage of these items. The insulation may help prevent some of the temperature extremes.

Good idea. Thanks.

Jeff

#103226 - 08/21/07 09:50 PM Re: Storing shoes and clothes in hot car trunk? [Re: Russ]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: RAS
Car interiors get real hot, but how hot do trunks get? I'd guess not as hot as the interior.

I don't know how hot it actually gets, but it gets hot enough that it occasionally softens or partially melts the rubber tubing on my BP cuff.

Jeff

#103227 - 08/21/07 10:01 PM Re: Storing shoes and clothes in hot car trunk? [Re: Jeff_M]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I think the color of the car may make a big difference. I have always had light colored or white cars, the trunks didn't get much above ambient. I currently drive a white pick-up with a white FG tonneau cover over the bed. No problem with heat build up. Dark colors and black will probably get hotter.

#103231 - 08/22/07 12:28 AM Re: Storing shoes and clothes in hot car trunk? [Re: Jeff_M]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Jeff i am a little further south than you but a couple of years ago when it was slow at work one afternoon several of us decided to play with a new batch of thermometers. The winner was on the light tan dash of my old truck at 160 degrees F in less than an hour. And as a note of caution when the needle on the thermometer is pointing at 160, don't pick the thing up with bare fingers.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.