Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#103178 - 08/21/07 07:13 AM Re: SERE School - Kit ?'s - Misc ?'s - Combat Survival [Re: Gig]
CentralOklahoma Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
The school will give you a packing list. If you do not have it yet, GET IT ASAP.

DO NOT DEVIATE FROM IT.

Speak to someone in person who has done the lab.

When you sign the release form, remember they can and may brake one bone. Opsec is important after you get out after its all over.

Remember you signed the form.

Play the "gray man". Do not buck up to anyone. They will make an example of atleast one. That person will have one broken bone. Probably a nose.

When you get out follow the school directions and do not consume booze and or drive a vehicle for a few days. Just take it easy, watch TV and eat.

Good luck. Just use common sense and remember its 80% mental until the lab, then its 99% mental.

I hope you have some body fat because its nice to have that to loose instead of loosing muscle.

#103179 - 08/21/07 07:55 AM Re: SERE School - Kit ?'s - Misc ?'s - Combat Surv [Re: Nicodemus]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Unless I missed something where is your space blanket and or H.D. garbage bag? Oop's I just found the emer. blanket.
35 years ago when you went to survival school they supplied everything, I bet things have changed.
Ask your rigger for a rollup canteen out of a current survival vest, they are much better than plastic bags.
Consider dumping the Nato matches and replacing them with REI brand windproof matches. They are packed with two extra striker strips. Add a mini-BIC. A Photon light is a great idea.
Purchase real tinder tabs, Colagans has some decent ones and you can get them from REI or about any peg board display in the camping section of any big box store.
Possibily add a Sm. SAK ( executive ) you get a sm. sharp blade,
sissors, & tweezers. Not sure what you would use the other SAK items for but this model is at least as good as a scapel blade.
You can purchase anaseptic pads rather than alcohol only pads.
Swivels in your fish kit.
Asst. safety pins, at least 2 lg.& 6-8 small.
Small pc. of a hack saw blade. Again your rigger could help.
At one time a screw in saw blade was made for a pen flare launcher, the launcher was the handle.
A couple pks of Stay Alert gum if you have room, it works.
Asprin or Ty#3 in a blister pk 2-4 ea.
Have fun.

#103184 - 08/21/07 12:14 PM Re: SERE School - Kit ?'s - Misc ?'s - Combat Surv [Re: Nicodemus]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Gig,

Your kit looks good and the suggestions from the forum have been terrific.

Any chance of changing the Decon Kit for one made of metal? This would allow you to boil (sterilize) water in it. Most containers seem to be made of plastic now and it is difficult to find a metal one in the size you want.

Good Luck on your training,

Mike

#103189 - 08/21/07 12:46 PM Re: SERE School - Kit ?'s - Misc ?'s - Combat Surv [Re: Gig]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Gig,

Replace the magnesium fire lighter with a Swedish Firesteel Cadet model - http://www.campingsurvival.com/fisclimyfiin.html

Replace the iodine tabs with Katadyn MP1's - http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/micropur_mp1_tablets.htm

Purchase an edible candle - http://www.campingsurvival.com/tacaedemsu.html
if they think its edible at least you will have the pleasure of watching them eat it before they dispose of it.

Purchase a toothbrush - http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/accessories%20main/travel_tooth_brush.htm
For morale and hiding meds. If they try and take it away, mention the surgeon general and that oral hygiene is crucial.

Purchase a Fenix LOD -SE - https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info...b7bebddaae4e563
use with a lithium AAA - has tactical performance if you use a replacement lithium 3.7v 14500 battery. Blind you pursuers at the last moment in the dark.

Purchase some pain killers - Ibuprofen - Powder them up/and or mix into your toothpaste tube.

NATO matches - Process as described - http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=103064#Post103064

Supplement the Bandaid's with Compeed Plasters - http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/Details.cfm?ProdID=809 - Foot blistering is much more likely.

Purchase a miniature Lip Salve with tea tree oil - http://www.bewellstaywell.com/lip_balms_&_ointments.htm

Get a good button Compass - Silva SERE 40 Luminous

Get a couple of fishing flies/Lures for you fishing kit. Make the fishing line 60 feet rather than 20 feet but use lighter line i.e 5Kg breaking strain instead.

Add a BCB commando wire saw also - http://www.bestglide.com/Wire_Saw_Info.html

Get a pair of goretex socks and a goretex hat - dry feet and dry head can make all the difference.

If possible spray your BDU kit with Grangers Fabsil Gold - http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr2960.html
to keep the rain and the blood from the broken nose off. wink

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/21/07 02:39 PM)

#103190 - 08/21/07 12:47 PM Re: SERE School - Kit ?'s - Misc ?'s - Combat Surv [Re: frediver]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Suffolk, Va.
Get one of the O.D. GI Lightweight combat casualty blankets.

Essentially a space blanket but one side is OD green.

Since you're military you can get them from GSA Advantage using part number R04199. $3.25 each.

Good Luck!

Tom A.

#103202 - 08/21/07 05:42 PM Re: SERE School - Kit ?'s - Misc ?'s - Combat Surv [Re: TomApple]
Gig Offline
Stranger

Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice!

Today I picked up a photon LED, the kind you can dim etc.
Added swivels to fishing kit plus a few small lures and a couple fish food balls. I figured in an E&E enviroment if im going to risk getting out of cover and going to a lakeside (still cover but not as much) I want my fishing to be as productive and quick as possible.
Replaced Alcohol pads with the Betadine ones.
Added safety pins and a few needles.

I cant take anything like Energy gum, asprin, any over the counter meds, esspecially anything that has a relatively good taste or nutritional value of any sort.

Was thinking about including a saw blade and putting a bolt and wing nut to the lid serving as a handle for it.

Great suggestions Am_Fear, only problem is I start SERE on sunday and im in lower alabama, odds of me finding any decent outdoor store are slim to none in a 150 mile radius, wish the Army would have given me a bit of heas up time, I found out yesterday I was going in on Sunday. Didn't leave me a whole lot of prep time.

Keep it coming, I really appreciate the help!

I am tempted by the edible candle.. =D but honor/integrity are army values, I would of course include things like that in a "real world" kit!

#103218 - 08/21/07 07:57 PM Re: SERE School - Kit ?'s - Misc ?'s - Combat Survival [Re: Gig]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Go to the links page on the main website. Click on the USRSOG link. Have a read through their kit list.

I strongly suggest that you:

Make up an E.D.C. ring for yourself that has:

A ferro rod.
Compass.
Whistle.
Spark-lite & tinder.
Small torch.

Also:
Blag as much paracord for yourself as possible.
Get yourself a spare knife and multi-tool.
Some puritabs.
Go down to your local Hunting Shooting Fishing emporium and buy yourself at least two dozen of the cheapest small barbed hooks he has and some fishing line.

A couple of lighters. Wrap them in freezer bags.

Think about how to hide them. If you think that you are going to be "relieved" of you main kit, tape them - using surgical tape, not gaffer tape - to the small of your back. Just below your shoulder blades. Gives you the best chance of getting them through an initial search.

#103221 - 08/21/07 09:09 PM Re: SERE School - Kit ?'s - Misc ?'s - Combat Survival [Re: Gig]
ohiohiker Offline
found in the wilderness
Journeyman

Loc: Ohio
I'd consider dropping:

• Bug patches (might attract "negative attention" during kit review?) Mud on exposed skin helps with bugs and camo.
  • Sting kit (negative attention?, little benefit?)
  • Iodine tabs (not effective against crypto)

I'd add:
  • Galvanized 3 1/2" nail (use as awl to tap maple, birch, sycamore for drinkable sap--take it easy on the maple, or you'll pay later wink )
  • Chlorine dioxide tabs
  • small, untreated cellulose sponge (soak up dew/rain/sap)
  • large camo bandana (soak up and screen water, insect protection over head/neck, bandage, camo, etc)
  • 20' dental floss (light cordage)
  • Drinking tube (silicone aquarium or teflon)
  • Ferro rod/striker
  • Can opener
  • Large black drum liners (more covert than shiny space blanket)
  • Large clear drum liners (transpiration bags, water storage)
  • Duct tape
  • good signal mirror
  • pealess whistle
  • Can you include metal water bottle or cup to boil water?
  • Can you include rolled eye exam sunglasses? Or maybe way underexposed, developed, slide film? or Mylar (from emergency blanket) as improvised sunglasses

Edited by ohiohiker (08/21/07 09:12 PM)

#103280 - 08/22/07 03:48 PM Re: SERE School - Kit ?'s - Misc ?'s - Combat Survival [Re: ohiohiker]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I'm sorry that I don't have anything to add to great suggestions posted here, but I did want to say THANK YOU for your service to our country.

Craig.

#103294 - 08/22/07 07:05 PM Re: SERE School - Kit ?'s - Misc ?'s - Combat Survival [Re: celler]
Spiritwalker Offline

#1. Proper Attitude.

"If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying hard enough."

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.