Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#103064 - 08/20/07 01:54 PM Matches smatches... Not reliable?
Naseem Offline

Loc: Guyana, South America
Matches??? Just how reliable are matches? Do I want to depend on them in the field as my primary fire starting source?

I got some of the NATO Waterproof and Windproof matches and was feeling pleased with myself until I tried to light one. Turns out that the substance on the striking surface (the top of the lid) had gone tacky (soft and sticky) and that the matches was scraping it off.

Bad matches or my bad luck?

OK. After that, I got some of the Coghlans matches. These work, but the matches are so difficult to light that it just takes is a few matches to completely wear away and destroy the striking surface.

Can I make a striking surface if I get the chemicals?

I know the current wisdom is that you should have at least 2 methods of starting a fire. So if I carry matches, do I have 2 methods? Or just one?

Hmmm... Heating the NATO matches striking surface might harden it so that it might work... Then again it might ignite... Time to move to the backyard with a water hose...

#103065 - 08/20/07 01:58 PM Re: Matches smatches... Not reliable? [Re: Naseem]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I had the same problem with my NATO-matches, so I tossed them. I use Coghlan's wind/waterproof matches wich work just fine. Not hard to light and if the striker strip wears out, I just take a new one..

#103067 - 08/20/07 02:04 PM Re: Matches smatches... Not reliable? [Re: Naseem]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I prefer a Bic lighter. I'd use the NATO matches as tinder wink

#103073 - 08/20/07 03:19 PM Re: Matches smatches... Not reliable? [Re: Russ]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I wouldn't rely on matches. In addition to the problems you mention, they take up a lot of space for a relatively small number of lights. They don't cope well with wet or wind. They don't burn for very long, either.

I prefer cigarette lighters, and ferro rods.

#103076 - 08/20/07 04:02 PM Re: Matches smatches... Not reliable? [Re: NightHiker]
Virginia_Mark Offline
Journeyman

micro bic, and a fire steel flint, go in my bag.

#103078 - 08/20/07 05:01 PM Re: Matches smatches... Not reliable? [Re: Virginia_Mark]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Mostly, I don't bother with matches any more. A mini Bic in my pocket, a full-size Bic in each pack, and a candle or equivalent for tinder.

I sometimes carry one of the new super-hot flints, if only for entertainment. (Also, they're okay on airlines.)

#103091 - 08/20/07 07:46 PM Re: Matches smatches... Not reliable? [Re: dougwalkabout]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I don't know what people do to their matches to have such problems. I carry a cheap plastic match safe full of untreated strike anywhere kitchen matches and I've never had a problem. I know, I don't get as many lights in the same space as a bic lighter. On the other hand, I know exactly how many fire lighting attempts I have, and I don't really expect to need to start hundreds of fires. Plus I keep a piece of lamp wick with the matches so I know I always have some dry tinder if I need it. I've also found matches to be better for lighting things like stoves and lanterns then lighters.

#103099 - 08/20/07 08:30 PM Re: Matches smatches... Not reliable? [Re: Naseem]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Naseem,

Lucifer’s can provide one of the most reliable methods of lighting a fire and the NATO Waterproof and Windproof Lucifer's are the best out there - don't throw them away just because the striker has gone soft.

What you need is a combination of Strike Anywhere Lucifer’s and NATO W&W Lucifer’s. When used together in the following way they are highly reliable.

Firstly coat both the heads of the Strike Anywhere and NATO W&W Lucifer’s with a coating of candle way and dip into some powdered Hexamine.

Secondly cut a section of corrugated cardboard to size to take 20 Lucifer's and stuff alternately a Strike Anywhere and NATO W&W Lucifer into the cardboard corrugations. You can also put some powdered Hexamine into the same cardboard corrugations if you leave some room at the base of the cardboard (you may have to seal the base of the cardboard with wax) before inserting the prepared matches. Dip the assembly into melted candle wax to seal. Remove any unwanted surface candle wax.

With 20 Lucifer’s in the wax sealed cardboard, each a Strike Anywhere and NATO W&W will give about 10 fire lighting operations without the use of a tinder because the tinder is incorporated around the Lucifer's.

In operation, cut 2 Lucifers away from the assembly, carefully expose the head of the Strike Anywhere Lucifer and then strike on some rough surface. If you can't get a fire going with one of these then no lighter or ferrocerium rod is going to get you a fire either.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/20/07 08:36 PM)

#103114 - 08/20/07 09:38 PM Re: Matches smatches... Not reliable? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Moisture is the enemy of matches. Back when I used matches more, I used to like the "lifeboat" style safety matches. They had great long heads and worked really well for firelighting in wet conditions. I would put them in a matchsafe, and would tear off the striker strips from the box, fold them in half (paper sides out) and tuck them inside. Both matches and strikers seemed to stay fresh a long time.

#103118 - 08/20/07 10:09 PM Re: Matches smatches... Not reliable? [Re: dougwalkabout]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I EDC a BSA HotSpark - ever since I saw Tom Hanks in that shipwreck movie (name escapes me at the moment - old age!).

When in the field I ALWAYS carry a refillable butane lighter, a magfire sparker, a bag of Vaseline-covered cotton balls, and some kind of matches. The lighter is my primary means of lighting fire while camping.

When out with the Scouts - always relatively local - I carry strike-anywhere matches in one of those cheap orange plastic waterproof (?) match cases. These are mostly used to light my Coleman fuel lantern (the only decent way to light it I've found).

When out in more extreme regions (Glacier National Park most recently) I carry a K&M aluminum waterproof matchcase with REI waterproof matches and a striker pad. I do light one off every once in a while to make sure they are still functional.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 406 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.