Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10292 - 10/29/02 05:01 AM Headlamps
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've seen a couple of posts on here about headlamps. I was thinking of getting the Petzl Tikka, for general camp use, night fishing, glove compartment spare, etc... Anyone have any experience with these, and opinions on which one to get? Are they bright enough to use on SAR tasks, or just as a backup? Thanks in advance!<br><br>John McIntire

#10293 - 10/29/02 05:40 AM Re: Headlamps
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have used the Tikka for a couple of years, and I like it a lot for general use. For SAR I would go with the Petzl Duo. There is an LED Duo, with which I have no direct experience, but I would think that would be the way to go. I have retrofitted my Duop with a single high intensity LED and it works fine.<br><br>If I were doing SAR right now, my pack would include a DUO, a Tikka, and a Photon II, possibly also a carbide headlamp.<br>

#10294 - 10/29/02 06:57 AM Re: Headlamps
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've had one for a while now and i think they are great for close up work-reading, first aid etc. but are useless for hiking as the beam is very short but they provide a short range blast of bright white light!!! Very intense!

#10295 - 10/29/02 07:09 AM Re: Headlamps
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
How about the humble new coghlan's headlamp - incandescent + 3 LEDs<br>Any experience with this ?<br><br>

#10296 - 10/29/02 10:30 AM Zipka
rodmeister Offline

Loc: ca
I've had a Zipka for a few months. It's basically a Tikka without a head strap but uses a cord that reels into a windup module which sits behind your head. It's strength is the compact size: when reeled up, the Zipka is about the size of a jumbo egg, perfect for my car emergency kit.<br><br>Although the light is surprizingly comfortable for a headlight held around the head by a cord, it's only comfortable for short periods. I'm buying a second light, probably a Princton Tec Aurora which tilts, unlike the Tikka. <br><br>Neither light is really adequate for night hiking - LED's are still too dim, but they make good camp lights, and are great as utility lights for house repairs at night.

#10297 - 10/29/02 12:14 PM Re: Zipka
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Well, I climbed Mt. Kenya and Kilimanjaro having only Tikka on my head. If you say that this is not enough light for hiking I really would like to hear your opinion on what adeqaute is. It may be not as powerful as Surefire beams but it sure lays a wide beam of light and lasts forever.<br><br>Picture of me using Tikka :)<br>http://brunerdog.tripod.com/africa/pages/me8.htm<br><br>Matt

#10298 - 10/29/02 02:42 PM Re: Zipka
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

I agree with Matt's assessment of the Zipka/Tikka. I've done some night hiking with the Zipka and it's perfectly adequate. I also obtained the filter kit that gives you the option of a red lens or green lens. The red lens is great around camp at night, in that it doesn't dazzle the eyes of your comrades and ruin their night vision.<br><br>Matt, your photographs are great!

#10299 - 10/29/02 02:50 PM Re: Headlamps
TomSwango Offline
Journeyman

I would suggest the Zipka over the Tikka. I purchased one for my wife, my daughter, and me. They are great for general everday use such as reading, cooking, first aid, and finding key holes, etc. But you still need a brighter light for anything that is not close up or when it is not dark enough for the Zipka but too dark to see without something. But for a small long life light I think the Zipka is great. I do wish it was water proof though even though I have never had a problem with water.

#10300 - 10/29/02 03:02 PM Re: Zipka
Anonymous
Unregistered

A good light for night hiking is not necessarily a flamethrower; I find the Tikka quite adequate for night hiking - it gives a good broad pattern and works very well, especially if you take care to dark adapt your eyes. I believe there is a very extensive, informative thread on this subject in the archives.<br><br>For my money, the Zipka is overpriced compared to the Tikka; The T is comforatble to wear for long periods

#10301 - 10/29/02 03:14 PM Re: Headlamps
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I tried one on our last night drill. It has very little throw, usable for close up work, tying knots, etc. I resorted to my Petzl incandescent light for activities where I had to view a bigger picture, like the over safety check for our rigging systems. I would not abandon a light with more throw, but will definitely use the Tikka as an additional light. Pete

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.