Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#102693 - 08/15/07 09:38 PM Well reputed Wilderness Medical training?
Stefan Offline

Loc: Sweden, South
Hello everyone!

Is there anyone who knows of a well reputed Wilderness Medical training course in the US (or preferably in Europe, since im Swedish).

Im not interested in tales, Im hoping that persons who actually have done courses to recommend or discard their training.

The level of training should be EMT to Registered Nurse or directed towards medical problems during off-shore sailing or expedition medicine.

Thanks in advance!

/Stefan

#102694 - 08/15/07 09:46 PM Re: Well reputed Wilderness Medical training? [Re: Stefan]
Lasd02 Offline

Loc: Pasadena, Calif.

#102701 - 08/15/07 10:19 PM Re: Well reputed Wilderness Medical training? [Re: Stefan]
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
Stefan:

You might try www.wildmed.com which is who I received my advanced training from for a Wilderness Paramedic certification. I had to travel to SLC, UT, USA for classes. I know they have a program in Canada as well. Other class sites are in Colorado, USA and I believe Vermont, USA. Not sure of any European classes though.

Stargazer

#102704 - 08/15/07 11:01 PM Re: Well reputed Wilderness Medical training? [Re: Stefan]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
An acquaintance had contemplated a year ago attending this Advanced Medicine for Remote Foreign Travel course in the UK. She had to cancel at the 11th hour, so no firsthand feedback to share, but I mention because it's in Europe, and sounds like it might meet your skill-level criteria. I see a course on 'expedition medicine' listed on their site as well.

Dan

#102705 - 08/15/07 11:37 PM Re: Well reputed Wilderness Medical training? [Re: Stefan]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
You will have to check out Wilderness Medical Associates (WMA) and Wilderness Medical Institute (WMI) for courses. These 2 companies are the world leaders in wilderness medicine.

The Wilderness First Responder Course (WFR) is an 76-80 hr course over 8 days for generic outdoor activities (including boating, backpacking, rock climbing, etc.) There is only 1 "wilderness" level above that. It is a combination of EMT and WMT and takes 1 month to complete the 180 hr course. http://www.wildmed.com/Courses/EMT+WEMT_syllabus.htm http://www.nols.edu/wmi/courses/schedule.shtml#WEMT

Beyond that - you are getting into paramedic courses but they will be designed for the urban environment. "Wilderness medicine" is a relatively new discipline having only begun in the early 90's. If you need anything more than the training above - hire yourself a emergency room doctor! smile

I can vouch for the WMA WFR course having taken it in March - best money I ever spent on training. It gave me certification in Basic Life Support and CPR for adult/child/infant, 2-person support, automated external defibrillator (AED), oxygen administration, brief intro to endotracheal intubation, using the BP cuff and stethoscope, anaphylaxis workshop and the 6 specific wilderness medical protocols.

#102729 - 08/16/07 05:17 AM Re: Well reputed Wilderness Medical training? [Re: Stefan]
bmisf Offline

I have a Wilderness First Responder certificate from WMI (Wilderness Medicine Institute) of NOLS. I took my course from trainer Pete Walka in Flagstaff, AZ, and highly recommend him.

The NOLS/WMI curriculum and other info are here:

http://www.nols.edu/wmi/

- Steve

#102769 - 08/16/07 05:40 PM Re: Well reputed Wilderness Medical training? [Re: stargazer]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: stargazer
Stefan:

You might try www.wildmed.com which is who I received my advanced training from for a Wilderness Paramedic certification. I had to travel to SLC, UT, USA for classes. I know they have a program in Canada as well. Other class sites are in Colorado, USA and I believe Vermont, USA. Not sure of any European classes though.

Stargazer

I took my Wilderness EMT from the same group, Wilderness Medical Assoc. and haver nothing but good to say about them.

#102821 - 08/17/07 02:07 PM Re: Well reputed Wilderness Medical training? [Re: Stu]
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

I have a question. I know most of the schools follow the DOT standard, but is a cerified wilderness first responder recognized by the DOT. can WFR certification be used for further urban schooling towards EMT grade? Are WFR recognized by the state the same way a certified UFR is recognized. is the WFR certification reciprocal with local and state agencies?

thanks
Alan

#102822 - 08/17/07 02:41 PM Re: Well reputed Wilderness Medical training? [Re: Halcon]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
It will likely vary from state to state. Here in Maryland, it is not recognized, other then as a supplement or continuing education, comparable to a seminar or general course of interest.

While Maryland has Wilderness Protocols, it is up to the Local and/or Regional Medical Director to decide if they wish to implement the protocol in their jurisdiction.

Maryland is funny with certificates from courses or outside training companies. By law under Maryland Code for Higher Education, the Maryland Fire Rescue Institute (MFRI) has a virtual lock on all forms of education for Fire/Rescue personal (career or volunteer) in the state. Instructors that are not Maryland Instructor Certification Review Board (MICRB) members cannot even offers courses in the state, where a “certificate” is issued. There are ways around this and include having the course sponsored by one of the recognized/approved Fire Academies as a seminar or have a MICRB Instructor be the lead Instructor.

Bottom line, WFR, W-EMT, WEMT-P certifications are not recognized in the state of Maryland and would not count towards completion of an EMT-B, EMT-I, CRT or EMT-P curriculum. You should be able to use the training as fulfilling the general/supplemental training requirements for continuing education.

Pete

#102826 - 08/17/07 03:59 PM Re: Well reputed Wilderness Medical training? [Re: NightHiker]
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

I figured that... thanks.

another question. At least one school says they will certify you in anaphalactic shock. What is that all about? Does that mean they can now use an epi-pen on someone legally? Sounds to me like there is no way that's going to happen.

I would venture to say, regardless, you have a "Duty to Care" and the "good samaritan" Law would protect you. So, an anaphalactic certificate is nothing more than a selling point that means nothing.

just wondering
Alan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.