Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#102834 - 08/17/07 04:49 PM Re: Well reputed Wilderness Medical training? [Re: Halcon]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
State and local protocols will determine what techniques and skills can and cannot be performed by EMS professionals (career and volunteer) for their level of training by a state agency (Public Health Department/Medical Board/EMS Department) that oversee standards and provides certification and/or licensing.

I could take a course where I learn a particular skill/procedure and the course provider/sponsor will attest (certify) that I have learned, tested and can perform the skill and the medical parameters for use, but unless the state and local protocols permit such use, I would practicing medicine beyond my scope of practice.

Good Samaritan Laws will generally only protect the individual from liability if they:
-Act in good faith
-Do not perform a skill/procedure beyond their recognized level of training – in this case the training would only be to the level for which the individual is recognized by the state has having. For example a military medic may perform on the battlefield, procedures which in the civilian world are not recognized within the scope of practice for a paramedic. If they were to perform that skill at an accident scene, the Good Samaritan Law would not shield them from civil and possibly criminal liability, especially if things went bad.

Pete

#102927 - 08/18/07 08:56 PM Re: Well reputed Wilderness Medical training? [Re: paramedicpete]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
A great school here in the Northeastern US is SOLO. (Stonehearth Open Learning Opportunities).

http://www.soloschools.com/home.html

They have courses in WFA, WFR, WEMT and other specialty courses like SAR and High Angle Rescue. I think they also have an International Medicine module for guides that are already WFR or WEMT certified.

I have taken courses with them that the AMC club up here sponsored, and their instructors were great. Other folks mentioned the NOLS WMI school, which is also awesome, but, New Hampshire or Vermont are a little closer to fly to from Sweden than the NOLS headquarters would be smile

- Ron

#102989 - 08/19/07 03:34 PM Re: Well reputed Wilderness Medical training? [Re: Be_Prepared]
bmisf Offline

Not sure what an "anaphalctic certificate" is either, but my training from WMI included adminstering an epi pen and using a syringe to administer epinephrine.

#103007 - 08/19/07 07:09 PM Re: Well reputed Wilderness Medical training? [Re: paramedicpete]
ScouterMan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I have also taken the Wilderness First Aid course from Stonehearth Open Learning Opportunities based out of New Hampshire. This is there "entry-level" two day course. They have more advanced courses in wilderness medicine
I thought it was fantastic. Great instructors. As a High Adventure Boy Scout leader, it really fit the bill. They are at:

http://www.soloschools.com/

Edited by ScouterMan (08/19/07 07:11 PM)

#103048 - 08/20/07 05:52 AM Re: Well reputed Wilderness Medical training? [Re: Stefan]
Stefan Offline

Loc: Sweden, South
As usually, the ETS Forum-folks rise to the occation!

Thanx everyone!

Wilderness Medicine has not even started over here.
There might be isolated "practitioners" but the subject is quite new. Thats why Im thinking about courses in the US. However Crossing Latitudes has a Wilderness First Responder course over here, so there´s a start...

Again, many thanks!

/Stefan

#103072 - 08/20/07 03:08 PM Re: Well reputed Wilderness Medical training? [Re: Stefan]
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

Stefan, I too echo your sentiments... thanks All

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.