Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#101623 - 08/04/07 11:39 PM Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved [Re: Traveler]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
That's a bunch of crap! I agree with Martin's suggestion about keeping some envelopes with you so you can mail your own stuff back to you, but you really shouldn't have to in this case. Personally, I hope Leatherman comes back on the TSA hard on this one.

Edited by JCWohlschlag (08/04/07 11:53 PM)
Edit Reason: Realized my mistake.

#101634 - 08/05/07 12:28 AM Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved [Re: Traveler]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a lot of the stuff that is confiscated by TSA are items that that particular TSA agent would like to have for himself. I guess its cheaper than paying for them, if you've got that kind of mental handicap.

Cynical Sue (who has been referred to as a "natural-born irritant" grin Fancy that.)

#101667 - 08/05/07 05:04 AM Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved [Re: Susan]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Susan
Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a lot of the stuff that is confiscated by TSA are items that that particular TSA agent would like to have for himself. I guess its cheaper than paying for them, if you've got that kind of mental handicap.

Cynical Sue (who has been referred to as a "natural-born irritant" grin Fancy that.)

They sell it on ebay in lots... no joke go look.

#102252 - 08/10/07 01:37 PM Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved [Re: falcon5000]
Traveler Offline
Stranger

And Leathermans response:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding TSA and tool compliancy.
Having spoken to our Customer Service Department I was able to find out that TSA does not certify anyone’s product.
Each Airport interrupts the rules listed on their TSA web site differently.
Sincerely,
Leatherman Tool Group, Inc."

Typical spin ....

#102293 - 08/10/07 10:15 PM Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved [Re: Traveler]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: Traveler
Each Airport interrupts the rules listed on their TSA web site differently.

"Interrupts"? When airports start "interrupting" TSA rules, we're all doomed. Of course, when airports start "interpreting" TSA rules, we get this kind of crap. That's a win/win situation if there ever was one.

#102311 - 08/11/07 01:09 AM Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved [Re: Traveler]
HerbG Offline

Your new Leatherman tool is (or soon will be) for sale on Ebay in all probability. All the knives, scissors, and multi-tools confiscated are given to local or state agencies for disposal. Some destroy the "weapons" and others sell them in large lots. I've seen a lot of SAK's that came from NTSA for sale at gun shows What else can we expect from a government agency that farms out a quasi law enforcement role to virtually untrained minimum wage workers?

#102588 - 08/14/07 10:59 PM Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved [Re: HerbG]
Traveler Offline
Stranger

Here is my reply/request to Leatherman ....
-----------------------------
Thank you for your follow-up.

In light of this information, I then would respectfully recommend that Leatherman stop giving the impression that the tool is TSA compliant. Many retailers are actually stating that it is "TSA Approved", based on your web-site.

I would also request that Leatherman replace my confiscated tool due to this misleading advertising.

Thank you.
----------------------------
And their response ....
After reviewing our website again I do not see any indication that we are claiming to be "officially" TSA approved. I"d be happy to review it again if you would like to show me where to look for the information you are referring to.
We have noted more than once on our website to check to the rules of your particular airlines regarding carry on items. Each airport interprets the rules and regulations they have set differently, and we have no control over that.
If the airline is not willing to allow it as a carry-on, most airlines will allow you mail it back to yourself (but again this is not something we have any control over).
At no time are we telling retailers that this is a TSA approved product.
Our warranty covers manufacture defect only. Unfortunately, we will not be replacing your tool.
Teresa
----------------------
I said they were implying - What spin !
You know what to do ...
Rdgs - T

#102589 - 08/14/07 11:13 PM Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved [Re: Traveler]
Traveler Offline
Stranger

And my reply ...
-------------
Teresa -

I said that your site is implying that the tool is TSA compliant. (Why show an aircraft and a link to the TSA if not trying to infer this.)

I said that other advertiser are stating that the fuse is TSA approved, based on the implications of your site. (Just do a web search.)

Answer this question: Why was this tool designed with out a blade if not attempting to comply with TAS rules? Your site is misleading, plain and simple. Drop the spin.

I was not given the chance to mail the tool back - I would have missed my flight.
---------------

I'm done - T

#102622 - 08/15/07 11:47 AM Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved [Re: Traveler]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Suffolk, Va.
Originally Posted By: Traveler

And their response ....
After reviewing our website again I do not see any indication that we are claiming to be "officially" TSA approved....
Rdgs - T

Their website has a graphic which says "for the most up-to-date TSA carry-on."
Knifeless Leatherman Fuse Page

I would say that it certainly implies TSA approval.

What BS!

Tom A.

#102623 - 08/15/07 12:17 PM Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved [Re: TomApple]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I agree that it's pretty dishonest. They are probably banking on the TSA getting most of the blame from the "victim". They need to change their website, and giving their representatives some customer service training wouldn't hurt either.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.