Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#102393 - 08/12/07 11:20 PM Just a question..
bat69 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fl, USA

I'm wondering about the feelings of the Admins regarding people slipping advertisements into their posts. There are alot of them lately, and it seems to be becoming more, and more prevalent..

Pets on Raw diets?

Wiggi's poncho liner sale..

The "Gas O Haul" and it's benifits..

Sorry, but I'm missing the point here. This is a discussion forum, not a place to suggest suppilers, distributors, or retailers. We have a place on this site for that sort of thing if I remember correctly.

I'm not suggesting that any of the original posters of the above mentioned material are INTENTIONALLY trying to hock wares, and goods here, please let me be clear on that.

I just think that mentions of websites, and other info would be best in another section.

Perhaps a separate catagory could be created where people could share sites, and deals they have found on the internet?

A "Look What I Found" section would be nice. I know I'd post there with some of the things I've found.

I've just simply noticed a trend in adverts popping up in posts these days. It's getting annoying..

#102395 - 08/13/07 12:13 AM Re: Just a question.. [Re: bat69]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I watch these. If the post is blatantly an ad, I kill it immediately. Often, it's just a "I like this, I bought this, you should buy it too" sort of stuff.

If it's by a member with 500 posts, I leave it alone. If it's the first or second post, I kill it.

As always, complaints will be heard and acted upon quickly.

#102398 - 08/13/07 12:22 AM Re: Just a question.. [Re: bat69]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
I do apologize of my post about the Gas-O-Haul seemed as more of an advertisement than anything else. It was not meant to be, as I tried to make clear by the post-scripted disclaimer. I simply wanted members of the board to be aware of this product since (I think) many might think it is a preparedness product worth consideration... especially since storing spare fuel for your vehicle is almost impossible to do safely or effectively.

#102399 - 08/13/07 12:40 AM Re: Just a question.. [Re: MartinFocazio]
bat69 Offline
Journeyman

Hi Martin,

I totally understand where you are coming from.

I've just noticed that there are a lot of web links popping up in here. It gets a bit old in the discussion forums.

I was just thinking that a "gee, look at this deal I found!" wouldn't be a better venue for it.

Matt

#102400 - 08/13/07 12:59 AM Re: Just a question.. [Re: JCWohlschlag]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Goodevening,

I usually appreciate a post about a product that an ETS member has found to be useful, or poor for that matter. My outdoor equipment budget is quite limited and I try to research every significant purchase I make, therefore I value the equipment reviews on this forum (this is EQUIPPED to Survive).

I had never heard of the Gas-O-Haul container before and thought it was an inventive idea.

I would read these posts whether they were on the regular Survival Forum or if they were in a stand-alone equipment section such as the proposed "Look What I Found" section.

Either way would be fine with me, but I would miss the opportunity to learn about these products if the practice was to be prohibited.

Mike

#102402 - 08/13/07 01:12 AM Re: Just a question.. [Re: bat69]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
You can always ignore the posts that annoy you.

I regularly skip posts that go on ad-nausem about how unrealistic or dangerous Bear's show is. I don't really care if he sleeps in the swamp or not. It's a TV show.

I think the product posts are interesting and useful, especially when someone includes personal experience using the products.

ETS is a great source of what's new. The objective real-people reviews, assuming the posters aren't company reps, are useful.

In my post, that bat69 finds annoying, I don't have any interest in the companys I mentioned either.

I am not going to apologize for posting it.

If you raw feed your pets, emergency evac is a problem. There aren't many good solutions for this available. Just because this doesn't interest you, doesn't mean it doesn't interest others.

JCWohlschlag....Thanks for your post, if you hadn't posted it I would haven't known this was even available.

Edited by GarlyDog (08/13/07 02:16 AM)

#102403 - 08/13/07 01:13 AM Re: Just a question.. [Re: bat69]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I happen to like it when someone points out a good sale they found. If there's a post that I don't wanna read, I just don't. Why complain about something like that? I posted one recently, for a company that I have nothing to do with. If it were some troll, that has like 2 post, then you have a point. I for one have been here for awhile & have over 100 post. None of which are "trying to hock wares". Someone reminded us all of the return of Surviorman, does he work for Les? No, he knows that we here on these boards would be interested in the info. If there is a problem on these boards, it's people getting all bent outta shape for no good reason. C'mon guys we're all here to learn from one another & to chat with like-minded people, not to nit-pick & complain about stupid stuff...I hope no one here got offended...it wasn't meant as an attack.

Quote:
I regularly skip posts that go on ad-nausem about how unrealistic or dangerous Bear's show is. I don't really care if he sleeps in the swamp or not. It's a TV show.

I'm kinda sick of the demonization of Bear Grylls too....

#102410 - 08/13/07 01:51 AM Re: Just a question.. [Re: GarlyDog]
bat69 Offline
Journeyman

Nah, don't apologize for it.

raw feeding pets, "emergency evac is a problem".

Like the Geico caveman said: "Yeah I have a response:
Umm? Whaaaaaaaaaattt? "

I never said I found you annoying.

Reread the original post.

#102411 - 08/13/07 02:20 AM Re: Just a question.. [Re: bat69]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Originally Posted By: bat69

raw feeding pets, "emergency evac is a problem".

Like the Geico caveman said: "Yeah I have a response:
Umm? Whaaaaaaaaaattt? "

If you read the entire original thread "BOB for pets on a raw diet", you can figure it out on your own. No need to repeat it here.

Edited by GarlyDog (08/13/07 02:23 AM)

#102415 - 08/13/07 02:57 AM Re: Just a question.. [Re: GarlyDog]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

ETS policy from day one asks that anyone directly connected to a product or commercial venture be allowed one courtesy post if directly stating that connection. Anything beyond a casual mention in future related posts is spam.ETS enjoys many contacts and friendships within 'the industry.' It would be foolish to exclude their learned replies and input.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.