Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#102330 - 08/11/07 11:06 AM Re: New Season of Survivorman Starts tonight [Re: Themalemutekid]
nouseforaname Offline
Journeyman

ive always wanted to learn more about Savate. who needs research when it comes in pre-packaged, hour-long segments! hurrah!

re: Suvivorman (spoiler)

i got off late last night and had to be back at work at 6am. suvivorman was replayed at 1 am...so, thanks to mr.stroud, i only got 2 hours of sleep as opposed to 3. gahhh!

shame that he made it to the 6th day and had to give in. im glad though, that he didnt beat around the bush (no pun intended) and try to sugar-coat his failure. the kalahari was just too much...despite the extra water and scrounged items.

#102335 - 08/11/07 03:42 PM Re: New Season of Survivorman Starts tonight [Re: nouseforaname]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Well, there's a great survival message there, "If you go into the desert, bring water". There's just no way to survive if you don't.

I did think the end was a little ambiguous, almost sounded like he was going to walk that couple hour walk to his safety crew himself. That would just be suicidal after two days with out water. It would have been good to point out that although the safety camp is only a few miles away it would be very easy to die trying to get there. But all in all I really enjoyed the show. Its interesting to see what you can and can't eat, scorpions yes, millipedes no.

#102337 - 08/11/07 04:52 PM Re: New Season of Survivorman Starts tonight [Re: AROTC]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Did anyone else think that that whole chocolate/soda can trick was set up?

#102345 - 08/11/07 07:35 PM Re: New Season of Survivorman Starts tonight [Re: Themalemutekid]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

I liked the part when he was complaining, OH MAN MY FACE IS SUNBURNED.

...And I basically said, NO KIDDING, YOU'RE IN THE KALAHARI!

#102352 - 08/12/07 12:34 AM Re: New Season of Survivorman Starts tonight [Re: Themalemutekid]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Themalemutekid

I did.

#102371 - 08/12/07 02:41 PM Re: New Season of Survivorman Starts tonight [Re: Virginia_Mark]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Turned up a step-by-step tutorial with pictures on the soda can trick. Looks like it would be fun to try:

Soda Can Firestarter

Was a great start to the second season. Looking forward to the next episode!

#102377 - 08/12/07 05:14 PM Re: New Season of Survivorman Starts tonight [Re: Themalemutekid]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: Themalemutekid

Possibly, but I've seen the Mythbusters guys show how its done and seen some reliable internet sources confirm it.

I have to give him a lot of credit for standing up and saying, "That's it." Takes a lot more of a man to admit he's finished after he's tried his best and failed than for someone to fake it (Bear has his 'raft rescue' off the deserted island.)

This was only the second "Survivor Man" episode that I've seen, but I am definitely coming back for more. Loved how he scrounged for useful items off the truck.

#102378 - 08/12/07 05:52 PM Re: New Season of Survivorman Starts tonight [Re: Virginia_Mark]
nouseforaname Offline
Journeyman

ive tried the sodacan trick and had no luck. then again, i am easily frustrated when all i have to do is reach for ye olde bic ya know? but the physics are spot on, and there should be no reason why it wouldnt work. especially when it is something that one can, as the Chicken Rotiseree Info-mercial people are so want to say, "Set it, and forget it!"

when i first saw him pull out the jars of PB and jelly, i was like "Are you serious? Is this how this season is gonna be?". thankfully (sorry Les) the PB was more or less empty and he did indeed suffer. . . i am a sadistic beastie indeed.

overall though, great way to start the season.

#102384 - 08/12/07 10:07 PM Re: New Season of Survivorman Starts tonight [Re: Virginia_Mark]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Oh Joy of Joys!!!

Enjoyed the show a lot.

My co-workers Friday were so sick of me saying "Survivorman is coming! Survivorman is coming!!"

For me the only thing worth watching Bear for is the scenery and a good laugh.

I have a lot of respect for Les, he demonstrates integrity by showing himself saying "enough" and getting help rather than editing it out to make himself look good.

Wish the Discovery Channel would show him more than Ursus dufus.

#102387 - 08/12/07 10:25 PM Re: New Season of Survivorman Starts tonight [Re: nouseforaname]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: rumbaugh
shame that he made it to the 6th day and had to give in. im glad though, that he didnt beat around the bush (no pun intended) and try to sugar-coat his failure. the kalahari was just too much...despite the extra water and scrounged items.

I am going to have to watch one of the encore presentations of this episode (which I was going to do many times anyway). I could have sworn that it was day 7 when he decided to walk the few hours to the "safety camp". Then again, I did watch the 1:00 AM – 2:00 AM slot instead of the 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM slot. If it was day 7 though, I don't think his walking out can technically be considered a failure, as day 7 is when he's supposed to either walk out or be rescued.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.