Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#102173 - 08/09/07 09:24 PM 7% Are Prepared — Really?
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
//Separate post to avoid hijacking the “Johnson & Johnson Sues the Red Cross” thread//

The above-referenced thread includes a link to the CNN story, which reads in part, “Research has found that only seven percent [emphasis mine] of Americans have taken the necessary steps to be prepared — and that more people would get prepared if preparedness products were more available, including at retail locations.”

Aside from the fact that “seven percent” is deplorable (but predictable?), I’d be interested to know the survey’s definition of “the necessary steps to be prepared.” Having lived in earthquake country for over 20 years, the topic was frequently discussed among co-workers and friends. Often times, it went something like this, “Sure I’m prepared — got a case of water and a couple of granola bars stashed away for the Big One.” I wonder what level of preparedness earned inclusion in that seven percent.

As for the assertion "... more people would get prepared if preparedness products were more available ... " — I personally believe that the reason for the widespread lack of preparedness is not one of availability, as suggested, but rather one of (lack of) motivation. These days, Home Depot, Walmart and the like sell rudimentary kits (better than nothing, and a start), and internet sources are limitless — plenty of availability. Or am I being too cynical?

Dan

#102179 - 08/09/07 09:43 PM Re: 7% Are Prepared — Really? [Re: xbanker]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Originally Posted By: xbanker
Or am I being too cynical?

No.

The only shortage I can point to in the US is a shortage of superstar singers. Thank goodness that American Idol is addressing this concern head-on.

Edited by GarlyDog (08/09/07 09:45 PM)

#102182 - 08/09/07 09:49 PM Re: 7% Are Prepared — Really? [Re: GarlyDog]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I agree. What is their definition of prepared? It can range from having a couple bottles of water to ten year supply of food. I also don't understand what they mean by "if preparedness products were more available"? What perparedness item isn't available to anyone living in the US? I can't think of anything special in a emergency kit that you couldn't find at a local store. Being prepared basically means having stuff that you would use or need on a day to day basis, not some fancy tools or special dehydrated food. That kind of stuff makes it easier, but it's not necessary. I think you're right about one thing, it's not about availablility, but just plain laziness on the part of most people.

Edited by ducktapeguy (08/09/07 09:50 PM)

#102183 - 08/09/07 09:52 PM Re: 7% Are Prepared — Really? [Re: GarlyDog]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Originally Posted By: xbanker
Or am I being too cynical?

No.

The only shortage I can point to in the US is a shortage of superstar singers. Thank goodness that American Idol is addressing this concern head-on.

laugh - - laugh - - laugh laugh - - laugh - - laugh laugh - - laugh - - laugh

#102191 - 08/09/07 11:01 PM Re: 7% Are Prepared — Really? [Re: xbanker]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
I would guess that the article sets the bar of "prepared" at the standard 72 hours mark that the American Red Cross information conveys. I would like to know how they arrived at their 7% calculation.

#102200 - 08/09/07 11:59 PM Re: 7% Are Prepared — Really? [Re: ducktapeguy]
GarlyDog Offline
ô¿ô
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
it's not about availablility, but just plain laziness on the part of most people.

I think it is partially a naive belief that disasters only happen to the other guy.

Edited by GarlyDog (08/10/07 03:29 AM)

#102210 - 08/10/07 01:23 AM Re: 7% Are Prepared — Really? [Re: GarlyDog]
Cyblade Offline
Journeyman

50bux and an hour in a wal mart would get you prepaired to last a week if you had nothing in your pantry. There is nothing that you need for survival that can be found in wal mart or your local grocery store or heck dollar store for that matter. I can get those cans of chow mein that will feed two people 2 for 5.00 that I can heat off of a rigged up sterno stove, I can fill up my old 2 liter or 3 liter coke bottles full of water, heck batteries go on sale cheap at walgreens and the dollar store has flashlights, tarps, trash bags and all kinds stuff that while not the best would be better than nothing. Theres no excuse to not have stuff ready for an emergency people are just lazy and they expect .gov to come save them and make everything better.

#102213 - 08/10/07 01:49 AM Re: 7% Are Prepared — Really? [Re: JCWohlschlag]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Originally Posted By: JCWohlschlag
I would guess that the article sets the bar of "prepared" at the standard 72 hours mark that the American Red Cross information conveys. I would like to know how they arrived at their 7% calculation.

You spurred me to dig a little deeper. Part of the news release on the ARC website:

"...only seven percent of the population has taken what the Red Cross considers the three steps necessary to prepare for a disaster or emergency: get a kit, make a plan, and be informed...Harris Interactive conducted the online survey of more than 2,500 respondents during April 10-16, 2007. Results also demonstrate that:

• 90% of Americans who have a disaster kit feel prepared. Yet, only 28% actually have a kit.
• 60% of American households own a pet, yet only 37% have a plan for their pets during a disaster.
• 69% of Americans living in hurricane-prone states don’t have a disaster supplies kit, and 60% don’t have an evacuation plan.
• 64% of Americans have no evacuation plan, even though 27% have had to leave home for at least one night because of a disaster or other emergency."

Curious to know how they selected the 2500 participants for the online survey, e.g. visitors to the ARC website? Could skew the results. Stats on hurricane-state residents a little scary, though I'm betting that earthquake-states would yield similar results.

Following this link takes you to well-presented preparedness info on ARC site, including a downloadable, interactive Excel spreadsheet with their suggested kit contents.

#102214 - 08/10/07 02:02 AM Re: 7% Are Prepared — Really? [Re: xbanker]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Good find! I figured that their 7% calculation had to be somehow based on what they promote. Thanks for finding the specifics.

I agree about the 2500 online participants. Online surveys can be skewed badly. Case in point: The Spice Girls recently had an online poll asking for a city that should be added to their planned reunion tour. Netizens came very close to sending 'em to Baghdad, Iraq.

#102254 - 08/10/07 01:40 PM Re: 7% Are Prepared — Really? [Re: GarlyDog]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
it's not about availablility, but just plain laziness on the part of most people.

I think it is partially a naive belief that disasters only happen to the other guy.

And an equally naive belief that it is the governments job to take care of everybody, and the absurd belief that the government can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.