The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#102021 - 08/08/07 06:39 PM Re: My BOB [Re: ]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Leave the SAS book in. It's a very useful source of information on all sorts of subjects. It might have a bit of a mil-spec tone to it but it was written during the cold war. I don't see a head torch? If you do not have one, consider adding one. A cheap one will do. 2xAA battery type preferably. I have lost count of the number of times that I have needed three hands to do a job. Two for the job and one for the torch.

#102027 - 08/08/07 07:00 PM Re: My BOB [Re: Enter_Narne]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
I read a great idea on another site the other day. If you are optimistic about having access to a computer later down the line after an emergency that forces you to use your BOB a good solution (or backup solution) is to scan your important documents, precious pictures, phone tree lists, etc and put all of that important data on a flash drive. Its a light weight, compact and convenient storage solution to all of your important data. They are fairly robust little buggers as well I have discovered after accidentally washing and drying my flash drive several times.

Also you can easily encrypt this data to a password protection if you are ever worried about your BOB being stolen.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Logan.

#102031 - 08/08/07 07:20 PM Re: My BOB [Re: Loganenator]
Enter_Narne Offline
Stranger

I agree with Logan about backing up important docs on some form of computer media. Flash drives are cool. Many people use them. I had a bad experience with my last one and it would have been even worse it if had been in my BOB on data backup duty. I chose a rewritable DVD (DVD+RW) because you can add and remove data on the disc nearly 1000 times (if you need to save more than 1000 times it's simple to get another disc because...), they are less expensive than flash drives, they are not subject to EMP (correct me if I'm wrong please), you can also save the data as images that can be viewed on an entertainment dvd player if no computer with a dvd drive is available, you can use the dvd as as signaling or toiletry mirror.

#102050 - 08/08/07 09:03 PM Re: My BOB [Re: ]
LED Offline
Veteran

Welcome and nice kit Sherpadog. Two things come to mind.

My suggestions:

Replace the standard note pad and pen with a Rite n' the Rain note pad and Fisher space pen.

Or, if you're on a tight budget, you can buy the Fisher space pen refill for $5(US). Add a pencil as backup.

Replace all, or at least two, of the teacandles with one UCO Lantern candle (or REI brand, etc). They're 8 hour dripless candles and work really well.

#102056 - 08/08/07 09:48 PM Re: My BOB [Re: ]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I have replied to most of them here as there are too many to respond to!!

- Consider a plastic whistle instead of metal
Good point about the metal whistle. It is something to consider even though where I live it rarely gets cold enough to freeze.

- What is your experience with those power gels?
You are correct about them not having protein or vitamins. However they are carb dense and I use them while long distance cycling and hiking and they provide you with that extra boost of energy right when you need it.

As far as freezing, I keep extras here in the deep freezer. The chocolate flavor stays soft whereas the strawberry banana freeze almost (3/4) solid. Once out of the freezer, they soften up in about /12 hour.

- Do you need both a fork and a spoon?
I like to have both, they weigh next to nothing. My partner uses a spork and she likes it.

- Instead of toothpaste and stick deodorant consider baking soda.
For me, I will use baking soda only if there is nothing else available...otherwise I stick with the toothpaste and deodorant! The deodorant is has only about 1/4 capacity left....good enough for a few days.

- Maybe you should consider including copies of important information in your B.O.B.
In my EDC on a MP3 player/file USB drive, I have encrypted (PGP self extracting) scanned copies of birth certifcate, DL, SIN (Canadian version of SSI), credit cards etc. I also have the same encrypted docs emailed to myself on a few different email accounts ie: yahoo, gmail.

- Buy a pair of zip-off/convertible pants.
These are great until you have zippers fail 10 miles into the bush (thats what the safety pins are for). It has happened more then once....

- Toss in a pair of nail clippers.
Already on the keychain.

- You have two fine, but finite fire sources. I would add a metal match.
Great idea.

- In resource rich B.C. you seem limited with your two knives. I would add a pocket saw or a few swedish bowsaw blades with field improvised bowhandles.
I also carry a swiss army knife and small folding knife in my EDC. I was looking at a heavy duty folding garden saw the other day, the only problem is they don't sell spare blades...I like the suggestion of the bowsaw blades though.

- I would leave behind the SAS survival guide book.
That would be blasphemous!! For the small weight gain in carrying this book, I have used it more times then I can remember over the years. An added benefit, some pages can be used for fire starter if need be.

- I would also get a proper tent as good lightweight durable ones, which can withstand much more severe weather than any tarp are available and have the added benefit of keeping insects at bay during the night.
Good points here....have tent but too heavy and bulky to carry on a backpack

- Would you consider adding a bear-pepper-spray to the pack?
In all the years I have spent outdoors here in bear rich BC., I never have had a close enough encounter with a bear to even think about using pepper-spray. You are correct though, I would more then likely find a human who needed a spray more so then a bear.

- Replace the space blanket with a heatsheet
- Perhaps add a poncho for rain, tent, groundcloth, etc.

Everyone is correct, the space blanket is not adequate, time to upgrade.

- No cell phone or contact numbers?
In my EDC

- One of the best tools is cash
In my wallet and EDC. Keep 1 and 2 dollar, quarters etc in a 35 mm film cannister

Add an earpiece for the radio
In my EDC, I always have my MP3 player/file USB flash drive which has swappable headphones.[/b]

- Replace your maglight with an LED headlamp
- A small 2-level AA-powered headlamp might be worthy of consideration as a back-up light.

- I agree with adding the headlamp. Partner has one...I should also have.

- Consider replacing LED-conversion Mini-Mag with a reliable, two-level (low- and high-beam) AA-powered LED flashlight.
Not sure about the maglight,,brand loyality through the years I guess...still something to consider.

- Upgrade to a 'name' multi-tool
It is branded multi-tool ( w/ small saw blade) , I have had it for 2 years now and has done well.

- Moleskin?
Never had a need, good idea even though my feet are very tough...more on this later.

- Notice absence of signal mirror.

Good point...I have one but did not notice it is missing from the backpack.

If it's only a few days, why even bother with deodorant?
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor has the best response: "Its important to keep neat and clean and fresh when bugging out if only for morale."

How long is this bag supposed to support you?
2-3 days maybe 4 max...food would be the issue here. Also the option of bugging out most times should always be the last option.
As a former firefighter / 1st responder I have (hopefully) the right knowledge and intuiton to make the correct decison(s) if and when needed. That being said, we are of the mindset that we stay in-place as long as our personal well-being and security is not compromised.
Our thoughts on bugging out are not to head to the hills at the first sign of trouble, rather our drawn up plans are based on a series of events and phases occuring that would require us to leave our home and re-locate 6 miles across town, or 30 miles, 90 miles and at the extreme 450 miles away.
Taking this into consideration, a BOB is only a small part of the equation and it's previous and current version, this BOB has seen a fair amount of use via camping, long distance hiking etc so we know its limitations.

- The weight of your pack is truly impressive!

Not anymore...once I add all the above suggestions and will probably need a bigger bag:)
Actually the small weight gains should not make that much of difference. I have no trouble carrying the backpack now. I keep the feet blister free, legs and respiratory system in excellent shape by walking 9 miles round trip to work and back minimum 2 times a week carrying my work stuff (laptop, books, lunch etc) in a backpack which can get quite heavy at times. On the weekends, time permitting, there is a fair size and mostly undeveloped local park situated on the edge of steep ravine which is a tough one to hike.
I am not sure of the elevation gain...it is probably close to 250 feet. The route we take is just a bit over a mile and half around. We try and get 3-4 laps in with our BOB's..it gives us a good workout....and beats the treadmills at the gym.

#102058 - 08/08/07 10:57 PM Re: My BOB [Re: Enter_Narne]
drahthaar Offline

You might want to think about a set of good walkie-talkies - esp. if there is someone who might be bugging out with you.

What about keeping a sleeping bag nearby - I keep my down bag uncompressed in a storage bag next to my BOB thinking that I will grab it and jam it into its stuff-sack as I head out the door.

#102076 - 08/09/07 03:00 AM Re: My BOB [Re: drahthaar]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Whenever we look at someone's kit I think back to the required food and gear Klondikers had to haul up the Chilcoot pass. I see that famous black and white photo and imagine some ultralight advocate arguing with the NWMP over his titanium cup's superiority to a dutch oven.You've acquired the one most essential bit of kit, a mindset of being prepared. I'd gladly grab your BOB as it now stands and run out the door.X and Y might prove deficient, but Z is enough to compensate and pull you through. Besides all the upgrades mentioned by people that will cost a MILLBANK Bag full of Loonies, I'd suggest buying the smaller and weatherproofed GEM version of Lofty's book. You will free up enough space to add more inspirational reading material ; WHEN BEARS ATTACK! THE MAD TRAPPER OF RAT RIVER a Farley Mowat Anthology or the greatest hits of Anne Murray and Celine Dion. With a small CD player those alone will eliminate any bear encounters.( Envision a black bear running down the trail, knocking over Lesley Nielson who sits up, hears SNOWBIRD and quickly passes bear.)

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (08/09/07 03:07 AM)

#102102 - 08/09/07 01:07 PM Re: My BOB [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
For those not familiar with Alaskan history, each miner hiking the Chilcoot was required to bring a YEAR worth of food, weighing about a TON (2000 lbs). The Mounties sat at the top with a machine gun (now on display in Whitehorse), just to make sure everyone had all of the goodies. Having hiked a portion of the Chilcoot, and seen some of the rest, I can not even imagine the pain. All for nothing in most cases...

Anne Murray I can take, but Celine, no way...

#102109 - 08/09/07 02:33 PM Re: My BOB [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
simplesimon Offline

>>The best of bags are only half a bag without ground >>insulation.

This sounded a sensible idea to me, but when I asked about Big Agnes bags on the forum, people said they had gaps between the down and mat that made it feel like a permanent draught. Are there bottomless bags that avoid this problem?
simon

#102181 - 08/09/07 09:49 PM Re: My BOB [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

The Chilkoot trail picture that Chris is referring to can be seen here

Like OldBaldGuy, I have also been up parts of the trail and there is no way I could do what these people did over a hundred years ago.

I have read a couple of books on the Mad Trapper of Rat River and it always amazes me what Albert Johnson and the RCMP went through for 40+ days in the middle of a far north winter.
Some more info here.
There is also an excellent documentry on the Mad Trapper that runs occasionally here in Canada on the History Channel.

My current reading material is a re-read of Farley Mowatt's Tundra. It is a compilation of 10 chronicles and diaries of early explorers and traders who ventured out into the northern wilds of Canada. It is a compelling read and for every person who thinks they can simply get up and go live off the land in the wilderness, this book will soon cloud those illusions...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 216 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
51 minutes 57 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.