Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#10211 - 10/26/02 05:32 AM Re: Survival Staff
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This is not a new idea, but one that, like the hollow handle survival knife rarely works well. A few items are nice on a staff; wrapped paracord to secure the all important wrist loop ( bring your hand UP into the loop and let it bear the wieght. Gripping a stick all day will exaust your hand), a tapered end to fit a Cold Steel Bushman for mimiking Ringo Starr in Caveman and some scribed measurements to determine the size of the bear that is circling back as you examine his/her tracks.

#10212 - 10/27/02 11:47 PM Re: Survival Staff
snoman Offline

I have to agree with you, wood just seems to be 'the' material for a staff (IMHO). It has a 'warmth' metal staffs don't have, and doesn't clunk or rattle with every placement. Besides, I think during a fall or an unexpected ride down a river, the first thing your going to lose is going to be your staff, so I'd keep all your 'emergency' stuff strapped to your person, not your staff. Of course, a hollow staff for something like a folded trash bag or two might be something to think about, as long as you keep it really light in weight.

#10213 - 10/28/02 08:28 PM Re: Survival Staff
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I have several walking sticks and hiking staffs, but find myself using just two of them the most. I bought the Crawford staff many years ago when I was less wise, still appreciate its unique design and quality, but have never been comfortable using it as either a staff or walking stick. Its blade can be easily removed so it is completely legal but it just seems foreign in my hand. I actually behaves well as a staff, not too heavy or strangely balanced, quiet with an excellent foot piece...but I just do not walk it.<br><br>Once you have a good stick you just cannot walk properly without it. Finding THIS stick it the issue. I am always scaning wood piles for the ultimate stick.<br><br>Back to the original question from Paramedicpete, I find any item that includes a "SAK STYLE" knife as part of it has usually made other less obvious "quality" choices. If they are going to charge $99 for a staff, they could at least provide a decent, real SAK.<br><br>I also find that if you do not walk with a staff or stick now, you probably will not walk with one later. None of my walking friends use a staff even though they have almost never seen me without mine. Before spending any money on a staff I would make one and see if it works for you.

#10214 - 10/28/02 09:12 PM Re: Survival Staff
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I have been using a wooden staff I made for myself for many years now. Since I made it for myself, it is comfortable to hike with and really aids in maintaining my balance, especially downhill. I have seen various manufactured hiking/survival staffs over the years and have stayed away from these. I saw the survival staff on E-bay and just thought I would get a general idea of experiences on this one as well as others that are out there. Pete

#10215 - 10/28/02 10:16 PM Re: Survival Staff
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I have been looking at the current favorite of Colin Fletcher from : Stoney Point , but have not yet decided to upgrade to higher tech.<br><br>I am guessing that this one would wait expectantly by the door as I grab my usual stick.

#10216 - 10/29/02 02:59 PM Re: Survival Staff
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Okay guys and gals, I probably wasted some money that could have been used for better things (including paying bills) but… I went ahead and bought once of these staffs to try out and report back to the group. It came very quickly (USPS); I will not have time to really check it out on a hike for a while. It appears well made as a first impression. However, I have no doubt, one could build the same or better for a lot less money. Looking at the outside it has both heaver (550 paracord) and thinner nylon cordage wrapped from the top to about half way down the staff, very tightly, increasing the diameter for a somewhat comfortable hand grip. Two pouches hang on the outside, one with the multifunction Swiss Army Knife knock off, it is similar to the champion model and is made by Fury. While nowhere the quality of an original SAK, I am somewhat impressed with it as compared to some of the other SAK knock offs I have seen. I will try and examine some of the other components closer tonight if possible and let you all know what I find. Pete

#10217 - 10/29/02 03:11 PM Re: Survival Staff
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have to disagree with you on the wood staffs.I like wood staffs but I want something that you can do more than just walk with it.

#10218 - 10/29/02 03:15 PM Re: Survival Staff
Anonymous
Unregistered

I bought one to.Let me know how it works out with you<br><br>Thanks

#10219 - 10/29/02 03:24 PM Re: Survival Staff
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello<br><br>To anybody that likes wood staffs Whistle Creek makes some good ones.They got some with a compass in the top.<br>There website is www.whistlecreek.com

#10220 - 10/29/02 04:25 PM Re: Survival Staff
Anonymous
Unregistered

I get the feeling that people using hiking staffs are a lot like archers and their bows, in that you have your trads who love the simplicity, warmth, feel and individuality of a good wooden staff and the techs that like a well machined and accessorized staff. Myself, I love a good longbow and a stout quarterstaff. A good wooden staff will do anything I need it to do from being a spear with a good lance head to a fishing and frogging spear with a frog gig attached. It'll pry, check the depth of a water crossing point, will carry lots of cord wrapped around it to hold the wrist loop in place and can be personalized by the carrier by attaching any number of things to it. Besides, it's difficult to whittle down an aluminum staff in a pinch to make a survival bow. :o)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.