Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#1018 - 07/20/01 03:39 PM Maybe a stupid question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am thinking of get a GI LBE, belt & suspenders. I already have a couple of canteens and covers with ALICE attachments. But I'm thinking of get a GI fanny pack. I have never seen a butt pack up close so not sure how they work. So my stupid question is, How do you access the fanny pack? Do you have to take off the belt and suspenders to get to it, or do you just pop some release latch and pull it off keeping the LBE on?<br><br>"Stay Frosty"

#1019 - 07/20/01 05:13 PM Re: Maybe a stupid question
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Drop MajorSurplusNSurvival.com a email on product inquiry. They can tell you for sure. They don't have it shown online,but they have carried the harness and buttpack in recent catalogs. Much of the European gear is compatable with our system. they also sell issue shoulder pad inserts for comfort. I imagine the buttpack is secured with the sliding keepers, those big safety pin type attachment points on the canteen cover.<br><br>

#1020 - 07/20/01 05:21 PM Re: Maybe a stupid question
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is a flap so that you have access from the top. The flap is secured with buckles. Depending if commerical or mil spec, they may be fastex style buckles or threaded buckles.<br><br>The back side of the butt pack attaches to the belt and the Y or H harness attaches to the top corner of the butt pack.<br><br>Because the pack is located behind you, you cannot readily access the contents while wearing the LBE. The butt pack would stay attached to the belt and suspenders and you remove the entire LBE to access items in the butt pack. Typically you attach smaller pouches to the front of the belt or suspenders to carry items you would normally need while moving. The butt pack is for bulky items that are used infrequently.<br><br>Many people I know are changing from LBE and suspenders to a vest. The vests typically have a large pocket on the back for your camelback style hydration system. You can get vests either with a variety of pouches permanently attached or with web bands to accept ALICE pouches and you design your own layout.<br><br>The advantage is the weight is distributed over your entire body. The drawbacks include they can be hot, as you empty your camelback, the weight in the front pouches can force the vest down in front and up in back causing friction on your neck, the weight is being carried by your torso muscles instead of your pelvic and leg bones.<br><br>Some vests include "keepers" to help attach to a belt. Basically a narrow stip of webbing with snaps that act like belt loops on your pants. You attach the belt to the bottom of the vest and it helps to keep the vest in place and not ride up on you when bending over or during high activity periods.<br><br>

#1021 - 07/23/01 01:10 PM Re: Maybe a stupid question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks alot you guys. This helps out a ton. <br>This board is a remarkable thing!!!!<br><br>"Stay Frosty"

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.