Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#101434 - 08/03/07 03:37 AM Re: Forum software upgrade tonight [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Let's see if I can post again- it wasn't letting me earlier, you have a PM on that Spinnr.

That it works in flat mode is great. But for more than a few non-US member, and for anyone on dial up, threaded mode is the best option due to bandwidth limitations. And more than a few users us threaded mode in forums becuase they find it much easier to manage and look through. If it doesn't work in threaded mode, then forum policy forbids me from expressing my opinion on this "update".

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#101604 - 08/04/07 08:37 PM Re: Forum software upgrade tonight [Re: NightHiker]
HTMLSpinnr
Unregistered

I'll dig around the UBB Site to see if others have reported similar issues.

A way around bandwidth is to break it up into smaller "pages", assuming you're brought to the right page in the first place. While it appears the default posts per page is 10, some users may have been incremented to a much higher number. Under "My Stuff" -> "My Preferences", you can alter the number of posts per page.

The author of UBBThreads is trying to track it down to include the fix in the next point release (7.2.1) which should enter beta testing shortly. Some folks have posted snippets of code to attempt to fix the issue, however it seems to only last the session, which isn't good enough for me to include here.

You'll find most forums now-a-days use a flat style, which I also use. It's not better, but what I'm used to, so I guess I find it hard to relate otherwise. For me, it offers less clicking, but more scrolling.

Edited by HTMLSpinnr (08/04/07 08:45 PM)

#101645 - 08/05/07 01:19 AM Re: Forum software upgrade tonight [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

And you'll find that not having the choice to use threads costs most forums members, and right now, it can either work in flat mode or sorta work in threaded mode. That is part of why my primary online "home" is this forum, and I know I'm not alone. And I tried the "fix" you suggest for flat style- guess what, it didn't work, I get this massive dump, so I put it back. At least this way I can get a clue as to what I have and haven't read by the posting time, rather than down loading a bunch of posts I've already read.

Is there something in the contract that says we have to upgrade when UBB sends out an "improvement"?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#101678 - 08/05/07 01:17 PM Re: Forum software upgrade tonight [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: HTMLSpinnr
Using a resizer plugin for Firefox, the Active Topics screen is really unusable at 640x480, usable w/ some side scrolling at 800x600, and viewable as intended at 1024x768 or higher.

OK, works right at home with firefox. At work IE6 is all were stuck with and it seems it has problems with many web sites, maybe that intentional to keep me focused on work smile

#101718 - 08/06/07 12:35 AM Re: Forum software upgrade tonight [Re: ironraven]
HTMLSpinnr
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: ironraven
I tried the "fix" you suggest for flat style- guess what, it didn't work, I get this massive dump, so I put it back. At least this way I can get a clue as to what I have and haven't read by the posting time, rather than down loading a bunch of posts I've already read.

I'm sorry the fix didn't work for you. I'm fresh out of ideas.

Is there something in the contract that says we have to upgrade when UBB sends out an "improvement"?

Not at all. However given UBBThreads track record of exploits in older version, I'd personally rather have a few people dislike change as we keep current and running (vs. totally down and hacked).

Most of the upgrades have been good. Some of the upgrades have brought important features on the backend, including CAPTCHA registration to thwart board spam and whatnot. Unfortunately, those come with UI changes, and we don't have the luxary of picking and choosing. This particular version has a problem w/ the threaded UI. I promise once 7.2.1 is released, we'll evaluate it and apply if it solves the problem.

I'm sorry I don't have a better solution for threaded users. I've enabled some checking in the stats program to see just what percentage use threaded vs. flat to gauge the severity of the problem.

Edited by HTMLSpinnr (08/06/07 12:46 AM)

#101834 - 08/07/07 01:55 AM Re: Forum software upgrade tonight [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: HTMLSpinnr
However given UBBThreads track record of exploits in older version, I'd personally rather have a few people dislike change as we keep current and running

How many times has this forum actually been hacked? I'm honestly curious. Because I've been around for at least five years now on a steady basis, and I honestly can't remember this place ever going down due to a malicious action that was aimed at ETS. Server failure, too much load, yeah, those I know all too well about, but I can't recall this place being compromised intentionally.

As for a "few people", look at the people who don't like the effects of the "upgrades"- a lot of them are the people who've been around the longest and have contributed a hell of a lot to this place. We aren't complaining because it is different, we are complaining becuase it doesn't work.

I'm not trying to be nasty, but please, stop breaking things. Or you aren't going to have to worry about server load.

#101835 - 08/07/07 02:35 AM Re: Forum software upgrade tonight [Re: ironraven]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

As for a "few people", look at the people who don't like the effects of the "upgrades"- a lot of them are the people who've been around the longest and have contributed a hell of a lot to this place. We aren't complaining because it is different, we are complaining becuase it doesn't work.

I'm not trying to be nasty, but please, stop breaking things. Or you aren't going to have to worry about server load.

OK, despite the fact that I really don't have time for this crap, I am going to step in here. I happen to be one of those who prefers the treaded mode and it's broken for me to. Crap happens, With luck, they will fix it. Just the way it works.

However. Rick (HTML Spinner) is a volunteer and doing the best he can and he has been 100% responsible for keeping ETS going the last year with two server changes and numerous other challenges. If he wasn't helping, ETS would probably be gone. No site, no forum, no nothing. I am sincerely thankful for him stepping in and helping. You should be too.

What he doesn't need, and I will not allow, is abuse. You got your message across the first, second and third time. He understands. He'll fix it when it's fixable. If that's not good enough, then there's not much we can do for you. But, you will not abuse him! You will not be "nasty" and you will not have to apologize for even sounding "nasty." You are welcome to point out problems and ask for them to be fixed, but I really appreciate it if you don't make demands and don't get testy. I trust I'll not have to make this point again.

We will continue to upgrade the forum software because not doing so damn near put it under last time around. Some upgrades are better than others, but that's the nature of the beast with all software. I hate this software crap, but it's what we have to live with these days. It's not a bug, it's a @!#*%&ing feature. <~>

As for being hacked, yes we have been. We've also had to deal with a lot of instability in the forum, spam and other crap before the forum upgrades.

Hopefully this clears things up and everyone understands where things stand.

I appreciate your understanding and cooperation.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#101836 - 08/07/07 02:49 AM Re: Forum software upgrade tonight [Re: Doug_Ritter]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...a @!#*%&ing feature..."

Now that I understand. I seem to spend half of my time on the computer complaining (not just this site) about some a @!#*%&ing feature. I'd hate to lose you. Keep up the good work you guys!!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ratch, Jeanette_Isabelle), 322 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.