The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#101901 - 08/07/07 07:20 PM Re: Day hike pack weight. [Re: samhain]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Apologies for straying a bit off-course ...

As others mentioned, weather/climate conditions are one of many factors affecting perceived pack-weight.

Somewhat simplistic, but everybody's probably familiar with the so-called "heat index" that combines temperature and humidity to produce a "feels like" temperature. Using the chart, your 93F/78% humidity produces a heat index of 123F (nearly in the "extreme danger" of heat disorder), whereas my 102F/30% humidity is around 104F (still nasty by any standards!).

Accuweather.com's "RealFeel Temperature" index is more useful ... factors in "the effects of temperature, wind, humidity, sunshine intensity, cloudiness, precipitation and elevation on the human body."

#101904 - 08/07/07 07:34 PM Re: Day hike pack weight. [Re: samhain]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
When TSHTF guess who has to go get the adolesents?

19lb ain't unreasonable. 6.6lb of that is water. Add in a poncho, knife, multitool, headtorch, map, compass, gps, paracord, RSK and a first aid kit.

And my lunch!!!! cry

The big killer is the pack itself. If its of good quality and fits correctly then an adult in reasonable condition can carry that all day, every day. If you cannot then frankly you should not be there.

#101936 - 08/07/07 11:03 PM Re: Day hike pack weight. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I'll approach it from a different perspective:

Let's say you are going out for a day hike and something goes wrong, what would be reasonable to take along for a "most of the time" worst case scenario, say a night or two out on your own with a broken limb. In that case, the list of stuff I would want with me to cover most of what could be reasonably planned for would tip the scales right about 20 lbs. Yes, you could go overboard generating a what-if list, but if you consider the type of activity you will be involved in, the type of terrain, and the relative isolation, then things such as 2-3 liters of water, some foul weather gear, Doug's kit, a good knife, some e-rats, you get the idea.

20 lbs is not an unreasonable load. It is about what I pack with me when out hunting elk in the woods, excluding my dedicated hunting tools.

As far as the heat goes, I've gone from 140 degree heat in Iraq, dry as parchment, to 100+ moisture laden air in Brisbane, to 90+ saturated air in Florida, to 100+ thin and dry air in Denver. My conclusion: when it is hot, I go sit in the AC and be happy I am not making another stinking afternoon bunker run to the "Sweat Box" anymore.

#101939 - 08/07/07 11:10 PM Re: Day hike pack weight. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Lasd02 Offline

Loc: Pasadena, Calif.

I have to agree with bsmith and Leigh here, 19lbs. seems fine to me. In fact, I'd say it's a win-win situation because by carrying extra gear (within reason), you not only heighten the chances that you will be prepared if TSHTF, you also give yourself a better cardio-vascular workout in the process.

If I'm not carrying at least 20lbs. in my daypack, in goes the solar-powered, double-insulated, titanium coated espresso maker.

#101942 - 08/07/07 11:49 PM Re: Day hike pack weight. [Re: Lasd02]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I must agree with the previous posters that I have always tended to pack heavier than most people, especially since I started reading ETS about 2 years ago (it is now just better quality stuff).

I am often the butt of teasing from my friends/family about my; pack weight, amount of gear in my truck or the quantity of equipment I bring on an outdoor adventure. For two years one of my hunting partners did not even bring insulated boots to our November Deer Camp because he intended on wearing my spares!

To be sure, one or all of my partners on a trip will forget, break, or run-out-of something and come to me for a repair or replacement. I am sure ETS Forum Members can all relate to this.

Mike

#101951 - 08/08/07 01:43 AM Re: Day hike pack weight. [Re: SwampDonkey]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Thanks,

I feel a bit better emotionally about the pack size.

I am not in the physical shape I want to be (hell, who is?) and can use some conditioning.

I've started taking the stairs more frequently at work (5 floors), and am planning to start a consistent morning routine (not trying to regain the 18year old level, just improve the 43 year old level).

The pack weight didn't feel uncomfortable. I got a new Northface Borealis and the pack rode comfortably on my hips.

Whenever I head into the woods even for a day, I prepare to stay the night because Murphy-stuff-happens.

I feel better that the pack weight doesn't sound unreasonable to many of you.

For the record (and for critique purposes) my pack list included:

ON OUTSIDE OF PACK
[*] Storm Whistle
[*] RINO GPS
[*] Toilet Kit (1/4 roll tp, trowel, handiwipes, small garbage bag)
[*]Camp Towel (eliminated for futre trips)
[*]Aqua socks (eliminated for future trips)
[*] compass

SMALL ZIPPER POCKET
[*] car keys
[*] 4 AA Batteries (for the camera)
[*] Headnet
[*] Mora Knife
[*] small bottle of OFF

MEDIUM COMPARTMENT
[*] Map
[*]Backpack Journal (eliminated from future trips)
[*] "Murphy Bag " (small zippered bag that lives in my Fatboy with zipties, duct tape, safety pins, extra paracord, matches, lighter, LED headlamp)
[*] 4 Cliff Bars (only ate 1/2 a bar so will decrease the par level to one)
[*] 4 servings of gatorade powder (will decrease the number of servings to 2 especially since I had gatorade already mixed in my hydration bladder)
[*] Repair kit (ziplock bag with duct tape, sewing kit, eyeglass repair kit and small knife sharpener)

MAIN COMPARTMENT
[*] Magellan "stores in its own pocket" rain jacket
[*] FAK
[*] 50' rope
[*] 100' paracord
[*] water filter and micropur tabs
[*] 1 pair extra socks
[*] 1 extra t-shirt (eliminated for future trips)
[*] 1 liter h2o in platypus (eliminated from future Tunica trips as there is plenty of water available -- just have to treat)
[*] 2 liters h2o in hydration bladder (mixed with powdered gatorade, drank about 1.5 liters during the 4 hours I was in the woods)
[*] Bag of Bags (ziplock with smaller ziplock bags for garbage, etc .

This isn't counting what I had on my person
[*] PSK
[*] pocket knife on lanyard with INOVA light/fire steel
[*] Leatherman
[*] fire pouch (lighter/matches/vaseline-cottonball tinder.
[*] Bandana (in pocket)
[*] Hat
[*] Shemagh (was wonderful for keeping the sweat out of my eyes/bugs out of my ears/sun off my neck, and felt really good once it got saturated with sweat)
[*] Sunglasses.
[*] notepad and pen, sharpie.

Only things I would want to add for future trips would be:
[*]Hammock (little camp one)
[*]Gaiters
[*]Rite-in-Rain pad
[*]More Stamina

As always I'm always open to suggestions.

#101961 - 08/08/07 04:06 AM Re: Day hike pack weight. [Re: samhain]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: samhain
Thanks,
I am not in the physical shape I want to be (hell, who is?) and can use some conditioning.

Whenever I head into the woods even for a day, I prepare to stay the night because Murphy-stuff-happens.

For the record, I'm not in the shape I'd like to be either!

Re-reading this, I'd personally still pack lighter. It's great you're prepared for an overnighter, but if it's 90+ degrees, I doubt you'll be freezing at night (even if it does rain). Now, if this were a post during the fall or winter, I'd be all about packing something heavier.

The others do have good points about the conditioning effects of the extra weight. We used to put in gallons of water for conditioning hikes in scouts (yeah, that was always fun, lugging around 35lbs of water for no reason).

#101963 - 08/08/07 04:23 AM Re: Day hike pack weight. [Re: Lasd02]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

Originally Posted By: Lasd02
If I'm not carrying at least 20lbs. in my daypack, in goes the solar-powered, double-insulated, titanium coated espresso maker.

..the only way to go!

Originally Posted By: MDinana
The others do have good points about the conditioning effects of the extra weight. We used to put in gallons of water for conditioning hikes in scouts (yeah, that was always fun, lugging around 35lbs of water for no reason).

..perhaps like many of you, when preparing for a particularly long or strenuous day hike i put a 25# plate in my backpack while on the treadmill, stair stepper or elliptical trainer - it raises a few eyebrows, but it's helped me be better prepared.

bsmith

#101973 - 08/08/07 12:45 PM Re: Day hike pack weight. [Re: samhain]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Samhain,

I looked over your daypack list and it seems very reasonable to me, being prepared for emergencies or just having the stuff you like to use adds weight to the pack, thats just the way it is.

I confess that I also carry some additional equipment, where I live it is often wet and cold (I have seen it snow in every month of the year).

I usually add: rainsuit, type of shelter (light tarp or Heetsheet), metal GI cup, Cell phone, Sat. phone (not working well lately), PLB (mostly to compensate for the poor Sat. phone) and Bear Pepper Spray.

I am usually working or checking out a new area when I am on my hikes so I also have with me: flagging tape, short brush-hook machete, a light saw (folding Bahco Laplander or Pocket Chainsaw) and a map/air photo/sat. photo of the area.

Concerning the Toilet Kit, I also carry a small package of "Wet-Ones" when camping as 5 of them can give you a decent sponge bathe. When hiking I carry a few thick, blue, shop towels instead of TP. The shop towels are more multi-purpose as they are good for cleaning your hands/gear with after field-dressing big-game and make a decent wound dressing (used after my teenage son hit his hand with a machete).

Good discussion topic,

Mike

#101975 - 08/08/07 01:24 PM Re: Day hike pack weight. [Re: samhain]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If that's what happens when you carry 19 lbs, you do need to work on physical conditioning. Carrying the extra weight is one way, running, power walking and lifting weights is another -- work on overall physical conditioning, not bulking up. But don't do the same thing all the time.
You have one set-up now, 19lbs and it makes you collapse -- work with that because it seems that your primary goal is to carry that pack and feel good doing it. But not all the time. . .
For another set-up determine what you require for your day hike and take just that (possibly just shy of 10lbs, with the idea of working on speed. Don't forget to drink the water during the hike to further reduce the pack weight as you move. Take some energy bars (100 calories/mile, no more).
Hit the gym or otherwise get a workout which focus's on leg and back strength -- once a week.
Look at nutrition too.

I'm in my mid-50's and work out regularly, over the last 6 years my leg strength and endurance have improved immensely. I also work on upper body strength including weight training, and good old push-ups and pull-ups. Physical conditioning should be part of the lifestyle of anyone concerned with being prepared/equipped to survive.

$.02, this is your life. Now get down and give me 50 (40?. . . okay, let's start with 20) smile

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 468 Guests and 68 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.