The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#101419 - 08/03/07 02:08 AM Non-electric cooling
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
http://permaculturetokyo.blogspot.com/2006/11/passive-cooling.html

This permaculture blog site has info on cooling without electricity. It looks interesting, and I intend to try a few of the simple projects, like the zeer pots.

The author does suggest that the aridity or humidity of the climate will affect results (best results are in arid locations), but if you lost power for a week or so in summer, maybe some of the ideas would provide some improvement, if not perfection.

Please keep in mind that it is for cooling, not refrigeration.

I am also wondering if the solar heater concept would be a way to provide heat in winter during a power outage (as long as the sun was shining, I guess). I know heat siphons do work, but how to but them to work as an addition/in place of electric heat?

I need to do more research.

Sue

#101447 - 08/03/07 12:50 PM Re: Non-electric cooling [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Who knows, it just might work. Or at least help a little bit...

#101456 - 08/03/07 02:18 PM Re: Non-electric cooling [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i have used a "zeer pot" before, altough we used our SS billycans for the job, probably not as effective. Because SS doens't allow watervapor to pass. But it does make a big diffrence.

#101524 - 08/04/07 12:01 AM Re: Non-electric cooling [Re: Susan]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

Yes, water holds a great deal of heat. You can use it to capture heat from the sun, which it will then radiate back during the night

#101596 - 08/04/07 05:54 PM Re: Non-electric cooling [Re: Susan]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Susan
This permaculture blog site has info on cooling without electricity.

I was a bit surprised to read two or three weeks ago that over the past few decades, more Californians have died from excessive heat than all other natural calamities combined. California-specific events would includes events like earthquakes, flooding, mudslides and wildfires. It's a rather hidden problem since there's no standard way of determining or recording "heat" as a major cause of death so it is mostly overlooked in reports and statistics.

Excessive heat can affect a very big area and population, and factors that increase the risk of succumbing to heat, like old age or various health conditions, like heart disease, are very common, so when I think about it, I shouldn't be surprised that heat kills so many. Even with a functioning electrical grid, many older people or people on fixed incomes just don't have or don't use air conditioning, so over several days of heat, will eventually expire. If cheap, passive methods like the ones in this blog were more common, we'd probably save a good number of lives over the years.

Thanks for the link, Sue. Although I've seen these ideas before, it's always good to be reminded of them from time to time.

#101628 - 08/05/07 12:16 AM Re: Non-electric cooling [Re: Arney]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My wife, for who knows what reason, does not sweat, so we really have to watch her in the heat. If her face starts turning red, she is borderline heatstroke. I wonder how many others are non-sweaters???

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.