Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#101571 - 08/04/07 01:23 PM Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved
Traveler Offline
Stranger

I recently purchased a Leatherman-Fuse multi-Tool WITHOUT the blade with the express purpose of being able to carrying the tool on board the plane in my carry-on (mainly so I would not need to check my luggage). Unfortunately I had the tool taken from me during the return portion of my trip - The agent insisted that because the handles, when outstretched, exceeds the 7" maximum allowance, the tool cannot be taken on board. I attempted to explain that this was not a rigid length, but the agent did not care and confiscated the tool. (When collapsed it is about 4" in length). Quite frankly with this mentality, a tape measurer should not be allowed.

Note: When leaving my home airport a week earlier, the TSA agents there questioned me on the tool, saw there was no blade, and did permit it to pass thru. - Where is the constancy with the rules? I'm now out a $50 tool because of this "gray" area.

Basically you should assume that this tool IS NOT TSA approved.

Rdgs - Traveler

#101574 - 08/04/07 01:27 PM Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved [Re: Traveler]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Ya gotta love the TSA...

#101575 - 08/04/07 01:29 PM Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved [Re: Traveler]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Read the fine print at the bottom of the "OK to fly list". The screener has the authority to disallow ANY item onto the airplane.

Why do you think in November and December there are so many tampered with and potentially dangerous iPods?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#101577 - 08/04/07 01:50 PM Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved [Re: Traveler]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Email Leatherman with this info. They are advertising the knifeless Fuse as TSA approved and that apparently isn't the case since yours was confiscated. Maybe they'll send you a new one.

#101579 - 08/04/07 02:00 PM Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved [Re: Russ]
Traveler Offline
Stranger

Email has been sent to Leatherman - We'll see where this goes.
As to the fine-print, I'm aware of it. I had the tool already out and in a seperate bin attemping to show my willingness to comply - Sometimes it just doesn't matter.
Thxs - T

#101589 - 08/04/07 04:49 PM Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved [Re: Traveler]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
When you travel, ALWAYS carry a pre-stamped Priority Mail Tyvek envelope. If you get hassled, be nice, and tell them you want to file a complaint, and ask to see the person in charge of the shift.
"I know you're doing your job, I disagree with your position, but I will respect it - this time. After I mail this item to myself, I am coming back and I'll want the names of the supervisor on this shift and hopefully the next time I travel I'll have a firm statement from TSA"

#101598 - 08/04/07 06:40 PM Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved [Re: MartinFocazio]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I am commonly hassled beyond imagination by poorly-trained and authority-intoxicated TSA "screeners" to the point where I will not fly unless it is absolutely necessary. Any electronic device will be just cause for them to drive you nuts with questions and blank stares when you respond. I am not surprised at your experience. I would have likely done what you did and just give it up instead of asking for a supervisor, labeled a terrorist, and be put on the "no fly list."

Until enough of us complain, this will continue and likely get worse. I am sorry for your loss.

Craig.

#101601 - 08/04/07 08:26 PM Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved [Re: celler]
Traveler Offline
Stranger

Oh - I did get the name & number of the shift super - he's the one that was not being reasonable. I'm pursuing this with the TSA as well as Leatherman.
BTW - I travel for a living and I did my homework on this - unfortunately the TSA didn't read that chapter.
Rdgs - T

#101609 - 08/04/07 09:09 PM Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved [Re: Traveler]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Did he give you a receit when he "confiscated" it?

#101610 - 08/04/07 09:34 PM Re: Leatherman Fuse - w/o Blade - Not TSA Approved [Re: Traveler]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I checked the leather man website http://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/Knifeless-Fuse/default.asp and it puts a link to the TSA's website but no where does it say it's TSA approved. I do think the way it is set up it's misleading making you think that it's TSA approved. But to cover them selves, it never says it's TSA approved, only:
"Sometimes having a knife as part of your multi-tool set-up isn't necessary. For these knife-prohibitive situations we've created the knifeless Fuse. All the necessary features from the original Fuse—including an additional file—without the liability of the knife."

I agree with mailing it back if you have time, but alot of places don't have the over price kiosk ( http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/mailsafe.shtm ) and you would have to get out of line and find a mail drop (if the TSA agent lets you have it back). This type of treatment of passengers is why I will not fly on an aircraft unless it's absolutely necessary. My boss has tried to get me to go out on trips to do recovery at work and I told him I won't fly because of the gistopo type mentality of the TSA. I drive everywhere I need to go or use a boat or my friend has a small plane and I'll do that but not commercial. If I can't carry things on the plane Pre 9-11 then I don't need to fly that bad.

The TSA is way out of control confiscating anything they want to take home and keep and there is no recourse of there actions. You can file complaints and send e-mails all day long unless you get someone who has a lot of pull involved nothing will happen. I'm sorry to hear you lost your tool only to have some untrained brainless drone take it from you because this makes him feel empowered with his worthless life.

Sorry for the rampage but I always get uptight seeing our rights slowly taking away day by day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 170 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.