Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#101184 - 07/31/07 06:06 AM Emergency Whistle Alternative.
Enter_Narne Offline
Stranger

Years ago there was a thread here that talked about how lower pitched whistles can be heard farther than higher pitched whistles. I'll save you from having to search for the thread. It was determined that lower pitches can be heard farther. The example given was the car with the customized sound system. You know the one. The one that thumps bass all around the neighborhood and nearly shatters everyones windows. You can hear this car's bass for a long time before you ever hear any of its mid range speakers or its tweeters.

So since I knew that lower pitches can be heard further I kept an eye out for something that can produce a low pitch for use in an emergency kit. And I think I may have found two.

The Air Blast Horn.
It's an air horn that doesn't use a compressed air can. You blow into it.

Here's a do-it-yourself version.

Not sure if this will replace the whistle in an emergency kit, but it's good to have options.

#101195 - 07/31/07 01:55 PM Re: Emergency Whistle Alternative. [Re: Enter_Narne]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
As one with a major high freq hearing loss (no one used ear protection when shooting in the old days), I could not agree more...

#101213 - 07/31/07 05:02 PM Re: Emergency Whistle Alternative. [Re: Enter_Narne]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Try out a Bo'sun's Pipe. It was designed to be heard by everyone regardless of where they were on a ship when it blew it's command songs.

All of these are made of brass, chrome plated, so it requires warming up before using in extreme cold, if you want to keep the skin on your lips.

#101258 - 08/01/07 02:10 AM Re: Emergency Whistle Alternative. [Re: wildman800]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
The in-car installed bazuka style speakers are so loud in low range because the car itself works as a sound resonator (sound amplifier) for them. That's why the low pitch musical instruments are large or huge in size.

The ship horns are using the low pitch sound because it delivers more energy to work over longer range in heavyweight fog air. They have enough energy to move the vapor which always stays above the water surface.

But in the woods the long (low pitch) sound waves will be muffled by the dense trees and vegetation immediately even if you have the line of sight with the listener. The high pitch sound, in opposite, will go through much farther. It's also reflects from the natural surfaces much better.

Just elementary physics. smile

#101268 - 08/01/07 04:10 AM Re: Emergency Whistle Alternative. [Re: Alex]
Enter_Narne Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Alex

But in the woods the long (low pitch) sound waves will be muffled by the dense trees and vegetation immediately even if you have the line of sight with the listener. The high pitch sound, in opposite, will go through much farther. It's also reflects from the natural surfaces much better.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. I live in the desert south west where there is very little vegetation to absorb sounds. A low frequency sound signaler like an air horn may come be more suited to me than someone in the forest. But if I had to choose a mouth powered air horn or a whistle I'd probably go with the whistle only because it can be used in more places and it is smaller.

#101283 - 08/01/07 02:39 PM Re: Emergency Whistle Alternative. [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I like that idea, low pitch for old folks with lousy ears, high pitch to go farther in the woods...

#101316 - 08/02/07 01:27 AM Re: Emergency Whistle Alternative. [Re: Enter_Narne]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Also keep in mind that most people with hearing damage have lost more off the low end than the high. Too much base, too few mufflers. smile A low sound CAN carry farther, but a higher pitched sound is more likely to be noticed if you don't have a regular pattern going.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#101397 - 08/02/07 07:11 PM Re: Emergency Whistle Alternative. [Re: Enter_Narne]
MedB Offline

For what it's worth...

High and Low are relative terms here. It's widely known that no adult hears evenly from 20 - 20k (the range in kiloHertz of frequencies most often talked about). In fact ALL of us have a hearing "curve".

Two guys (Fletcher and Munson from Bell Labs) back in the 30's discovered this human hearing curve and plotted it. We are much more sensitive to sounds in the 1k to 5k range. And that sensitivity varies with the volume of the sound. In other words... at very soft levels we hear almost exclusively in this range and both the highs and lows go away. That's why better stereo gear used to come with a variable loudness control; to actively compensate for this effect.

And the odd part? On average women have better hearing (less loss)than men. So we men tend to turn things up until it sounds "normal" to us (our curve flattens a bit). But by that point our wives hearing curves flattend out well before that point and they find it very loud.

So next time your wife yells at you for turning up the volume on the TV/Radio, just compliment her on her flatter Fletcher-Munson curve.

Hey, it might work... wink

Edited by MedB (08/02/07 07:21 PM)

#101405 - 08/02/07 09:35 PM Re: Emergency Whistle Alternative. [Re: MedB]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I think it would be nice to have that curve here:

The frequency is on the X line (logarithmic scale).

The graph shows equal loudness curves (red) for a different sound intensity levels.

As you can see the approx. 3500 Hz frequency is the most efficient for a whistle.

Attachments
curve.png

Edited by Alex (08/02/07 09:55 PM)

#101423 - 08/03/07 02:52 AM Re: Emergency Whistle Alternative. [Re: Alex]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Just a thought: if you're stranded in a ravine with a broken leg, luck will often determine who runs across you (assuming someone does, in time), and you won't know if they have hearing impairments. But I'm hoping that SAR would have decent hearing.

If YOU don't have good hearing, it doesn't matter too much if you're the one they're searching for. What YOU would need is something that THEY could hear.

So, I guess you might need both a woofer and a tweeter...

Sue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.