The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#101236 - 07/31/07 09:26 PM Fallout Shelter: Forty-Two Buried School Buses
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
A complex of buried school buses used to construct a 10,000 s.f. fallout shelter.

#101237 - 07/31/07 10:47 PM Bruce Beach [Re: xbanker]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Bruce also puts out an internet newsletter at no charge.

Although one may not agree with Bruce's opinions on many subjects, he is a man of wisdom and his thoughts (that he shares) are always worth the time to consider.

I get his newsletter and I find food for thought in each one, which is a personal indorsement to all to subscribe.

#101244 - 08/01/07 12:35 AM Re: Bruce Beach [Re: wildman800]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
I'm actually working on one of his projects, which I consider worthwhile: evaluate/catalogue "freeware" texts regarding third world developement, in the context of post-TEOWATKI value.

I don't 100% agree with his politics/philosophy/religion, but I do find him an invaluable resource and a terrific watchdog smile

#101247 - 08/01/07 01:18 AM Don't wander into range of the Ark unannounced... [Re: NeighborBill]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
I love his not so subtle comment about the fence they had to put up:

The fence was ordered by the Fire Marshal simply for the purpose of keeping vandals out, with the concern of protecting the vandals.

I'm thinking the Fire Marshall knows that there's enough firepower in that thing to repel a lot more than just "vandals"... so the fence is the Fire Marshall's way of keeping the local mischevious youth from getting shot?

- Ron

#101251 - 08/01/07 01:34 AM Re: Don't wander into range of the Ark unannounced... [Re: Be_Prepared]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I agree completely with Billy but I totally disagree with your comments concerning firepower on the premises. One of my biggest concerns/fears for Bruce and the Ark II has concerned the major lack of firepower.

#101259 - 08/01/07 02:16 AM Re: Don't wander into range of the Ark unannounced... [Re: wildman800]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: wildman800
I agree completely with Billy but I totally disagree with your comments concerning firepower on the premises. One of my biggest concerns/fears for Bruce and the Ark II has concerned the major lack of firepower.

I was making an assumption, always dangerous... I just figured that if you went to all the trouble of making a structure like that, you'd anticipate the likely fallout of any major catastrophe being a bunch of unprepared folks trying to get in on your party. I just assumed that the place would be armed like a small fortress. Maybe not blatently, but, I just figured they would have a cadre of well trained "militia" that were properly outfitted to defend the place.

Actually, it seems strange if they don't? Is it just me?

- Ron

#101261 - 08/01/07 02:29 AM Re: Don't wander into range of the Ark unannounced... [Re: Be_Prepared]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Bruce is primarily a religious pacifist. He has no harmful intentions towards anyone. That's why I have concerns/fears for the Ark II and those with him when the balloon does go up.

I have no doubt that the balloon will go up. I know this by looking at the history of mankind. Man has used every weapon that he has ever created.

BTW, the Canadian versions of Local, State, and Federal Police/Regulatory/Fire/and other EMS agencies have raided the Ark many times. Perhaps they feel as you do about weapons and militia but they have never found anything and that's because there is nothing to find!!!!

Bruce Beach is a gentleman, scholar, and a law-abiding citizen whose concerns for humanity are actually genuine.

#101289 - 08/01/07 06:23 PM Re: Fallout Shelter: Forty-Two Buried School Buses [Re: NightHiker]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Wait, did he LEAVE the buses in place? I only glanced and thought he was using them as frame work to build the large shelter?!

#101292 - 08/01/07 07:53 PM Re: Fallout Shelter: Forty-Two Buried School Buses [Re: Todd W]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The busses make the compartments and passageways. There are formed reinforced cement walls and overhead (w/supporting pilings) that support the 5-14 ft of soil that provides the shielding against the most powerful radiation that might hit that area.

For example: 1 bus holds the Galley, 1 or 2 busses are joined so as to form a messdeck, 1 bus holds a command & control area, 1, 2, or 3 busses contain the female berthing areas and the same is true of the male berthing areas, 1 or 2 busses form classrooms for the children, etc, etc. It has been arranged very nicely & efficiently from the internal finished photos that I've seen.

#101299 - 08/01/07 09:30 PM Re: Fallout Shelter: Forty-Two Buried School Buses [Re: wildman800]
LED Offline
Veteran

There's definitely something to be said for cooperative type shelters and theirs looks well designed. But for personal preference, I don't think I could be holed up with more than say 10 people, and they'd probably have to be people I know well. Managing 500 to a 1000 people in the most extreme of crises would be a survival situation in itself. It seems the more people you have to manage, the more rules and regulations become vitally important, and considering there's no inherent command structure like in a military setting, enforcing those rules could get complicated. Just my 2c.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.