Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100799 - 07/26/07 01:31 AM Survival Trapping
BigCityHillbilly Offline
Journeyman

One of the first things you notice when you go shopping around for outdoor stuff is that they sell a large variety of chemical sprays that are supposed to hide the human scent from the keen noses of animals. They even have chemical lures that are supposed to aid the hunter by attracting animals into traps and ambushes.

I don't know about the rest of you, but there's no way that I'm ever going to spend any money on those fancy chemical concoctions, and the reason for that is two-fold: #1 is that I prefer to travel as light as possible, and #2 is that sooner or later you're going to run out of the chemicals and then what ?

You'll be up the creek because you won't have any way of hiding your human scent, and the animals are going to avoid your traps like the plague.

I know a little bit about the subject of trapping, but most of what I know is stuff that I learned by reading books. I welcome the opportunity to hear everybody's ideas on how to conceal the human scent from animals and how to lure animals into traps and snares. I'd also like to know whether or not the infamous "figure 4" trigger is really any good or not. I've seen lots of good trap trigger designs in the books I've read about the subject, but I'm wondering if they really do work in the real world, or if they're just a waste of time.

Thanking everybody in advance for their wise input,

LW.

#100803 - 07/26/07 02:42 AM Re: Survival Trapping [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have read that wood smoke, as if campfire, will help mask the human scent. You can look here for more trapping info, and/or just do a google search for "survival trapping"...

#100809 - 07/26/07 02:55 AM Re: Survival Trapping [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
What you can do is avoid washing your hands with soap before setting traps. Watch cologne use to. In my opinion, men and cologne don;t go together at any time, let alone just before or during camping, hiking, or hunting.

Use creek water, local grasses, bark and leaves, etc to rub on your hands well before handling your snare and trap rigging. When I was much younger, I bought liquid "buck scent" from the outdoors store before going hunting, but I haven't used anything other than nature's offerings in years when hunting or fishing.

It depends on what you're trapping too. I'm no professional trapper, that's for sure, but I wouldn;t want to pet my favorite grizzly just to "mask my own scent" and just before setting a small animal snare. ((( laugh ))) Grasses, berries, creek water, dirt, etc are your best bet I think.

Think of it this way: You can;t hide your scent very well.... your body is going to secrete human odors no matter what you do. One of the best first steps is, of course, avoiding adding to your skin odors that are not present in the wild.

Edited by Stretch (07/26/07 02:57 AM)

#100817 - 07/26/07 04:05 AM Re: Survival Trapping [Re: Stretch]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I have done very little trapping but extensive hunting and fishing.

Concerning fishing, my 76 year old father always rubs a minnow in his hands (usually a dead one from the bucket) before he handles his trout trolling lure. He is also nice enough to let me gas up the boat and run the motor when we go fishing; he also out-fishes me about 2:1!

I used to use commercial scents when hunting deer and moose but have since just started watching/playing the wind more closely and have had even better success. I did recently buy a Carbon Activated Suit but have not tried in yet.

Mike

#100824 - 07/26/07 05:11 AM Re: Survival Trapping [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> You'll be up the creek because you won't have any way of hiding your human
> scent, and the animals are going to avoid your traps like the plague.

I used to run traps when I was a kid in junior high. I used the metal traps like you see in all the cartoons, I never did anything other than set them and put them in rabbit holes. I got rabbits and skunks - no bait, no trying to hide my scent, no nothing but set it and put it in the hole. (Well, I did use a stake to keep it from being dragged off.)

shrug - I don't know as I'd call this wise input, but I'm not sure animals are smart enough to avoid human scent at all times or at all costs.

#100827 - 07/26/07 06:34 AM Re: Survival Trapping [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

first off i'll say that i have never done any trapping..
if i did for survival i would try and put some kind of
snare across a game trail..
as for the question i went to my copy of "deadfalls and snares" by A.R. Harding--1935..i think you can reprints from
the "fish,fur,game" trapping magazine..anyway--Mr Harding has
instructions for making about 60 traps from bear pits to
skunk traps..he either used or got the "how to do" from guys
who traped "back in the 80's"--and thats not 1980's..
he liked hand made traps because you could make them with a
Ax and knife and held that 6 well made and placed wood traps
would get better results than 50 steel traps set carelessly..
he was traping for the fur and needed the money so he was
just not fooling around-----
OK--now to the crux of the matter..HUMAN SCENT--
no where did he talk about wearing gloves or trying to hide
his scent when he HAND CRAFTED all those traps..
his concern was proper placement of the trap and the way
the trigger was made---you need a BIG heavy log for a dead
fall..and that figure "4" trigger has to be made just so..
so i would say it's craft and placement that will work and
not the "good luck charms"

#100828 - 07/26/07 06:50 AM Re: Survival Trapping [Re: SwampDonkey]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
I heard somewhere that hunters used to bury their clothes and leave them so they would smell like the woods, but it sounds like a recipe for rotten gear.

#100852 - 07/26/07 03:31 PM Re: Survival Trapping [Re: SwampDonkey]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
I did recently buy a Carbon Activated Suit but have not tried in yet.

Wow, what the heck is that? Is there a website for this? Is this like a set of coveralls?

Can you filter dirty water through it in a pinch for drinking? grin

Boy, I know some guys at the gym who should wear one when they work out anywhere near me...

#100871 - 07/26/07 06:25 PM Re: Survival Trapping [Re: frostbite]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Back when I hunted deer I would fill a large basket or box with dry leaves and put my outer hunting clothing in with the leaves for a couple of days. They came out smelling like fall leaves, which I have never found objectionable. I would shake them out well to get rid of the odd spider or other crawlies before putting them on.

I often got a reasonably clear shot at a deer during the season, so even if it didn't help, it didn't hurt.

Frank2135

#100951 - 07/27/07 04:05 PM Re: Survival Trapping [Re: Frank2135]
BigCityHillbilly Offline
Journeyman

I know how to construct this really neat deadfall trigger that's intended especially for catching birds. Birds will have a tendency to perch on the protruding stick and WHAM ! the trigger releases and gravity takes it all down on top of the bird.

I've got zero experience in the art of trapping birds, but I'm keeping one of these deadfall triggers tucked away in my backpack, where I'm keeping it just in case I ever need to trap birds for emergency food.

Does anyone have any experience at trapping birds ?

LW.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 389 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.