The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#100952 - 07/27/07 04:09 PM Re: Survival Trapping [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
Hghvlocity Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
I've got zero experience trapping anything..except maybe Spiders under glass. This next hunting season I am going to experiment with a log leaning on a tree and some wires to try and catch some squirrels. I hear it works pretty well...we will see.

#100959 - 07/27/07 04:49 PM Re: Survival Trapping [Re: NightHiker]
BigCityHillbilly Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: BigCityHillbilly

Does anyone have any experience at trapping birds ?

I've used a cage/basket type trap to catch birds before. Although I didn't build a trigger mechanism, I just went with the old reliable method, direct observation and about 50ft of fishing line. A handful of corn scattered around and under the trap worked great, I passed up a couple of Stellar jays and ended up with a young

Have you ever tried to go "fishing" for birds with a baited hook ?

LW.

#100965 - 07/27/07 05:44 PM Actual Trapping Experience [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have never used the commercial scents and although they have their uses, I don't see my ever carrying any in my BoB.

I trapped Nutrea Rats when I was younger, using single and double spring traps. Scent was never a problem in that environment but killing the animal without cutting the skin was a sometimes laughable scene to watch. I usually ended up half wet from trying to hit the water type creature with the flat side of an axe, usually getting a lot of water on me (in the wintertime).

I have trapped birds using the old cardboard box, bait, and string system. If I were in the woods, I would fashion a latticework box of branches, probably use bread or cracker crumbs to get the birds into the trap.

You can use a similar, more complicated version for trapping fish in streams. The trick with a fish trap is to fashion a conical entrance that will prevent the fish from finding their way out of the trap. Then check the trap daily. If after a day, you don't have fish, recheck the entrance to the trap, if that still looks good, then move the trap to another location. You have to make some latticework "walls" to run from the trap entrance outward for the fish coming by to see the wall and then they follow it to the entrance, go inside of the trap and then they fail to find their way out of the trap. Seine netting is often used to form the walls on "Buffalo Hoop Nets" and they run 20-30 feet out from the "Buffalo Hoop Nets".

That's been my experience, except for using crab and crawfish traps which are much like the fish traps except for shape and mesh sizes required to hold the crabs and crawfish.

#100967 - 07/27/07 06:01 PM Re: Survival Trapping [Re: NightHiker]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
A guy I used to work for ate a seagull on a dare or bet. He said it was tough, but I don't remember what else, but he wasn't planning on repeating it.

Sue

#100977 - 07/27/07 09:07 PM Re: Survival Trapping [Re: NightHiker]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Working on a buoy tender, I can attest to the fact that seagull "expletive" is dry, tart, yet tangy" and not something anyone would eat or taste voluntarily.

We used to get a face full of the stuff as we wire wheeled the stuff off the tops and sides of the buoys that we would be servicing.

Remember kids, don't try this at home,,,I was among "professionals" at the time!!!!

#100981 - 07/27/07 09:28 PM Re: Survival Trapping [Re: wildman800]
BigCityHillbilly Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: wildman800
Working on a buoy tender, I can attest to the fact that seagull "expletive" is dry, tart, yet tangy" and not something anyone would eat or taste voluntarily.

We used to get a face full of the stuff as we wire wheeled the stuff off the tops and sides of the buoys that we would be servicing.

Remember kids, don't try this at home,,,I was among "professionals" at the time!!!!

Betcha there's gotta be a practical use for seagull dung. I'm wondering if you can use it as tinder for starting a fire ?

LW.

#100983 - 07/27/07 10:07 PM Re: Actual Trapping Experience [Re: wildman800]
BigCityHillbilly Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: wildman800

I have trapped birds using the old cardboard box, bait, and string system. If I were in the woods, I would fashion a latticework box of branches, probably use bread or cracker crumbs to get the birds into the trap.

I wondering if you've given any thought to the type of bait you would use for trapping birds in the event that you didn't have any bread or any cracker crumbs handy. I would prefer to use bread or cracker crumbs or maybe even corn as bait, but it won't be easy to obtain that kind of stuff when the chips are down.

I doubt that bread and crackers and corn will be available in a survival situation.

The good thing about trapping birds is that you don't have to worry about their sense of smell, which is said to be pretty meager, but that said, you've got to know what type of bait to put out, and you've got to know what type of bait is going to attract them if you're hoping to eat something for dinner.

LW.

#100984 - 07/27/07 10:35 PM Re: Actual Trapping Experience [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Right now, I have noticed a large amount of dried corn left in the fields. I would get a few ears from the field, crack up the kernals of corn and use that as bait. I can also dig up worns and place them under such a trap, using fish hooks, fishing line, and twig anchors; as well.

Necessity is the Mother of Invention and when a need arises, a solution will be created or found.

#100995 - 07/28/07 01:27 AM Re: Survival Trapping [Re: Hghvlocity]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
no trapping experience, but I once "killed" a grouse with a slingshot using marbles as ammo, I hit the wing where it joined the body and broke it, dumb luck, my brother and I chased it down where he put a foot on it (to avoid getting pecked). It died on the spot and we had it for dinner.

But my main point is, they were easy to hunt because we were dumping gravel on our dirt road and birds need the gravel for their gizzards. Instead of bait staking out the nearest gravel patch might get you dinner. slings and stones for weapons.

#101040 - 07/28/07 03:13 PM Re: Survival Trapping [Re: frostbite]
red Offline

Haven't yet tried trapping birds, but in Idaho, the easiest meat source to obtain in the woods was the spruce grouse (pine hen). Amazingly tame, I could bean them with a well placed rock and they tasted very good.

I'm always nervous about having a fish cop come into my camp and seeing a bunch of snares along a log. Wouldn't look to good.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.