Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100810 - 07/26/07 03:01 AM fat wood vs birch bark
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I'm not looking to start a debate, I'm looking to start a test. The problem is, I can't find fat wood around here.

So, I guess I'm looking for someone willing to trade what is for them locally harvested fat wood for genuine, organically grown, ethically harvested, Vermont white birch bark.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#100812 - 07/26/07 03:21 AM Re: fat wood vs birch bark [Re: ironraven]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I'll take you up on it, I've been curious to try birch bark and I've got the core of a rotten pine thats brillant fatwood.

#100814 - 07/26/07 03:37 AM Re: fat wood vs birch bark [Re: ironraven]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Ironraven,

I am not looking to steal your thread but could someone explain to me how or where to find natural "Fatwood".

I know it is the resin rich portion of an old pine stump but I kicked apart about a dozen stumps today and only found rotten wood. What am I doing wrong?

I am like Ironraven; birch bark everywhere, pine trees too, but I cannot find natural fatwood?

Mike

#100815 - 07/26/07 04:00 AM Re: fat wood vs birch bark [Re: SwampDonkey]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

swampDonkey,
Find a pine tree that has been snow damaged, top broken ,snaped in half and so forth. Last years pines are best. Then go to what is left of the stump, it may or may not be rotten, Nor dose it need to be.
Fatwood is caused by the sap trying to go up the tree with no place to go.
Now take an axe and work on that stump.
The rotten part that broke off will have none.

#100816 - 07/26/07 04:01 AM Re: fat wood vs birch bark [Re: SwampDonkey]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I've had some trouble finding fat wood further north, I think maybe the trees decay too slow or they aren't as resinous(because of colder winters maybe?). But if you find a part of a log where a good sized branch came out of the trunk, I find the knot where the two cores comes together is a good spot to find it.

#100818 - 07/26/07 04:09 AM Re: fat wood vs birch bark [Re: big_al]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Thanks Al,

I am in the bush again tomorrow and will check it out, I think the stumps I was checking were too rotten.

Mike

#100842 - 07/26/07 01:46 PM Re: fat wood vs birch bark [Re: AROTC]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
You've got pm

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#100847 - 07/26/07 02:11 PM Re: fat wood vs birch bark [Re: big_al]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: big_al

Fatwood is caused by the sap trying to go up the tree with no place to go.

IIRC, if the tree broke down in spring time, when sap is flowing full time, then you have more chance to find "fatwood" in the stump.

If the tree broke down during winter, less chance...

#100904 - 07/27/07 01:49 AM Re: fat wood vs birch bark [Re: big_al]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the directions Big Al,

I was in a pine harvest cut today from last winter and went looking for some sappy stumps.

White pine stumps (some almost 4 feet in dia.) were oozing a ring of pine sap all the way around the circumference under the bark. When chopped off this material seemed sticky, but wet and not as heavy or solid as Fatwood I have seen sold in stores. It did not light or burn very well.

A much older white pine stump had a ring of rotton wood around the outside, but the inner wood was dry and solid. It burned much better but was more like dry pine kindling.

I then found a black spruce stump that had broken off about 3 feet above the ground in a windstorm last year. Sap was encrusted around the wound on this stump, so I chopped off some wood pieces. These lit very easily and burned like a match with sap boiling out of the thin splinter of wood. The only trouble was that it produced a very black sooty smoke.

I need to find a suitable stump from one of the hard pines (red pine, jack pine ...) to compare with the soft pine (white pine) that did not work so well.

Learning every day,

Mike

#100918 - 07/27/07 04:37 AM Re: fat wood vs birch bark [Re: SwampDonkey]
DougM Offline

Look instead for rotten logs. if the pines where you live are anything like those in the West, the pineknots are FULL of pitch and burn quite well (also, I haven't seen ANY mention here of fuzzsticks).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 461 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.