Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#100585 - 07/24/07 01:29 AM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Cynical Sue is back..."

Oh boy, she is my favorite!!!

#100586 - 07/24/07 01:38 AM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: simplesimon]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Rumor has it that Criss Angel Mindfreak is fake too, but with a name like Mindfreak it has to be real. When he split that woman in two it looked pretty real so it's gotta be true wink

#100592 - 07/24/07 02:14 AM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: Russ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
So, you take it for what it is, good entertainment. You gotta admit, Bear isn't the boring type. I might even follow him for a ways, just to see him pull some of his silly stunts and if he wipes out just once.

#100593 - 07/24/07 02:15 AM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: Stretch]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Stretch, please tell us you are being sarcastic. The man is proof that even Darwin has his off days.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#100594 - 07/24/07 02:21 AM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: simplesimon]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: simplesimon
Channel 4 said in a statement that Born Survivor was "not an observational documentary series, but a 'how-to' guide to basic survival techniques in extreme environments".

So he is being presented as an instructor; so much for everyone who whines that he's a just for entertainment. That brings in a whole different ethical component than if he was just a sideshow freak. And probably a legal one.

They are going to regret that press release.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#100600 - 07/24/07 03:10 AM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: Stretch]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...interaction between him and his camera crew is strictly forbidden..."

So if he is going down for the third time in that bog they are going to just stand there taping and do nothing? Yeah, right...

#100604 - 07/24/07 03:18 AM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: ironraven]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: ironraven
. . .They are going to regret that press release.
Agree. They could label it a number of things but calling it an instructional 'how-to' guide is just setting themselves (Bear, DSC, et al) up for a huge lawsuit by the survivors victims relatives.

#100618 - 07/24/07 05:22 AM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: ironraven]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Stretch, please tell us you are being sarcastic. The man is proof that even Darwin has his off days.

Hehehe. The sarcasm was dripping, my friend. You knew that. laugh

#100674 - 07/24/07 08:26 PM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: simplesimon]
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
There was a woman named Muriel Gray who produced and starred in a series called "The Munro Show" for STV (Scottish Television) in the early 90's, in which she would take a camera crew up one of Scotland's famed "Munros" (hills which are over 3000 feet high, according to the original classification by Sir Hugh Munro, after whom they are named).

In the sort-of-but-not-quite-a-companion book, My First Fifty, she describes how they climbed one peak, lugging all sorts of camera equipment and other production gear, but for some weather-related reason, they were unable to complete filming. (I forgot whether the weather prevented them from reaching the summit, or merely prevented them from filming.) They dragged all the gear back down to the base of the hill, spent the night at a nearby hotel, and set off early the next morning to do it again. this time, they reached the summit and finished filming successfully - or so they thought.

Later, when editing the final version, they realized that the footage they had shot at the summit was unusable. With no time left in the budget, they were forced to charter a helicopter, fly herself and the camera crew to the summit so they could reshoot the scene. Naturally, there were a couple of hill-walkers already at the summit, so she went over to them, introduced herself, and explained what she was doing - only to receive the icy reply "Oh, so that's how you do it. Most of us just have to walk up."

She wrote that it was all she could do to refrain from grabbing them by their throats, one in each hand, and choking them while screaming "I CLIMBED THE BLOODY THING TWICE IN TWO DAYS, YOU MORONS" (or words to that effect - I quote from memory, and probably do not do it justice).

I've never seen Bear Grylls's show, but I believe some of the criticisms of it are well-founded. However, it may be worth remembering that even someone who is genuinely trying to make a show as realistically as possible may be forced to cheat a little in order to reshoot some scenes or come up with that little bit of extra footage.

I'm not saying this is what happened here, only that it might be.

#100701 - 07/25/07 12:11 AM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: NightHiker]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Well now, I've been considering this: In each episode, the Bear seems to know every indigineous plant, herbicidal medicine, animal, and the history of the indigineous culture. It occurs to me that, not only does he know alot, he also studies up before going into the region. BUT, what seems even more glaringly obvious to me is that, in addition to a full camera crew, motel booking agents, emergency response team, medical staff, and more, he also has local natives with him to advise and council him on the aforementioned plants, animals, herbs, and culture.

While the story of the Munro Show is interesting, I really don;t see that in the Bear's ventures. I can;t fault him for finding a motel (we'd have a brewski together because that's where I'd probably be), but his show remains what it is... fruity entertainment. I've come to love it... those sentiments were cemented with his last episode in Scotland where he jumped into the bog. I just have to admire his innocent idiocy.

Now Les Stroud? He might've had to go back to the summit twice or more maybe.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 466 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.