Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#100707 - 07/25/07 01:45 AM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: Stretch]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I wasn't sure, that's why I had to ask.

My sense of humor isn't operating at full capacity these days.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#100734 - 07/25/07 01:29 PM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: simplesimon]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
How in the world did this guy become so "important" to us that he gets two separate threads about his hotel usage? Sheese...

#100746 - 07/25/07 04:16 PM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
The truth is...probably.... we truly admire the guy. He's a likeable enough bloke and he's doing what some of us (me for sure) would love to be doing for a living. The fact that he does seriously dumb stuff keeps us on our toes cheering and begging for more. More stupid pet tricks Bear!

#100747 - 07/25/07 04:22 PM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
How in the world did this guy become so "important" to us that he gets two separate threads about his hotel usage? Sheese...

It's the show you love to hate. I don't really know why, it just is. The Discovery Channel gets viewers and Bear makes money, so I'm guessing they're all very pleased with us for tuning in to sneer at him.

I guess you could say it's the Jerry Springer show for the emergency preparedness crowd. blush

Frank2135

#100748 - 07/25/07 04:26 PM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: NightHiker]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: ironraven
I wasn't sure, that's why I had to ask.

My sense of humor isn't operating at full capacity these days.

Yet another case that illustrates the dire need for a sarcasm smilie.

Nighthiker, my mid-western brother, I'm surprised at you. I mean, what good is sarcasm if it has to be announced? Especially if I use it in fun at my own expense. Besides, I can;t find half of these little icons or whatever they are, and it's tough figuring them out.

I like this one though ((( laugh )))

#100749 - 07/25/07 04:29 PM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: Frank2135]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Frank2135
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy

It's the show you love to hate. I don't really know why, it just is. The Discovery Channel gets viewers and Bear makes money, so I'm guessing they're all very pleased with us for tuning in to sneer at him.

I guess you could say it's the Jerry Springer show for the emergency preparedness crowd. blush

Frank2135

Excellent analogy! I always wondered what would make people so ignorant as to take their selfish perversions on to the Jerry Springer show and expose themselves in front of millions. Your analogy makes me wonder now about the Bear. Certainly, as you say, he must know what's being said (as if he needed others to say it before realizing how dumb some of the stuff he does is)

#100776 - 07/25/07 07:54 PM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: NightHiker]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Forgive me. Geography was never one of my strong points. ....and thanks for a lesson I should've learned in high school or college. Now.....where is New Mexico? Deep south? hehe

#100778 - 07/25/07 08:16 PM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: simplesimon]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I would much like to see these "health and Safety guidlines." The risk assesment section ourght to be of particular interest.....b

#100833 - 07/26/07 08:39 AM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: Stretch]
simplesimon Offline

From the BBC News website:

Last Updated: Tuesday, 24 July 2007, 09:23 GMT 10:23 UK

Grylls series 'to be transparent'

The US Discovery Channel is to ensure a survival show is "100% transparent" in future after conceding parts could have misled viewers, according to reports.
Man vs Wild - called Born Survivor on Channel 4 in the UK - saw Bear Grylls supposedly abandoned in the wild.

But a consultant said Grylls stayed in a motel and had scenes set up for him.

"Isolated elements" were not "natural to the environment", Discovery said in a statement to the Hollywood Reporter, and promised greater clarity in future.

"For health and safety concerns, the crew and host received some survival assistance while in the field," the channel told the publication.

"Moving forward, the programme will be 100% transparent, and all elements of the filming will be explained upfront to our viewers."

Discovery also promised that any repeats of the series would be "edited appropriately".

Matter 'taken seriously'

The issue of scenes being manipulated was raised by Mark Weinert, a US survival consultant.

He told the UK's Sunday Times that Grylls spent nights in a motel in Hawaii when he was claiming to be stranded on a desert island.

Mr Weinert also alleged that a raft was put together by team members before being taken apart so Grylls could be filmed building it.

Channel 4 has also been in trouble over Gordon Ramsay's show
Channel 4 said the programme never specifically claimed Grylls was coping "unaided".

But it said it took "seriously" any suggestion of its viewers being misled and promised to raise the matter with Diverse Productions, who made the show.

Diverse Productions declined to add to Channel 4's statement, and Grylls' agent was not available for comment.

#100844 - 07/26/07 01:50 PM Re: Bear Grylls Survival show faces 'fake' claim [Re: Stretch]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Respect, yes- I respect any successful con.

Like? There are too many questions about his military service, about his past expiditions, and the stupidity of what he has shown in what he himself describes as an educational broadcast for that to ever be possible. I respect his ability to get away with it; I can't respect him as a person.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 491 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.