Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#100623 - 07/24/07 07:29 AM I was in Target the other day....
LED Offline
Veteran

Dropped into Target this weekend (I know, big mistake) and had to deal with a horde of zombie-like, crazed, people acting as if it were the last shopping day on earth. Even the elevator ride was troublesome. I actually shoved my way out when people insisted on cramming into an already full elevator. Just before the doors closed, one guy with a huge cart ran up and said, "any more room?" to which I immediately replied with a very clear "NO." So what does he do? He pushes his way in. Thats when I had enough and literally shoved my way out. No way I'm on an elevator with a bunch of impulsive shopping zombies. If people act this nuts in a department store on a Normal day, I can only imagine what that place would look like should there be some impending danger or recent crisis. The point to this rant is that it reminded me of just how mindless, impulsive, and panicy people can be, and thats under normal circumstances.

#100624 - 07/24/07 08:28 AM Re: I was in Target the other day.... [Re: LED]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

the same scene repeated in walmart all the time. It seems like ppl trying to get out of dodge before a giant meteor strike the city. Everyone is in panic mode. Mothers try to calm their crying infants while trying to push the carts into cashier line. sheesh. ppl need to relax.

#100630 - 07/24/07 01:54 PM Re: I was in Target the other day.... [Re: LED]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Yet another reason I left Los Angeles long ago, and have no desire to return to it, or any big city...

#100631 - 07/24/07 01:57 PM Re: I was in Target the other day.... [Re: LED]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
C'mon LED, why are they all crazed zombies and you're one of the few there shopping for legit items? laugh

#100634 - 07/24/07 02:25 PM Re: I was in Target the other day.... [Re: picard120]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Makes you wonder if saving a few $$ is ultimately worth it.

These stores stock goods made everywhere but in the USA by people who are paid in a year what an American worker gets in a week. We consumers spend millions to save pennies, and American businesses close down right and left, ultimately limiting our choices and IMHO lowering our quality of life. Plus, the wonderful ambience of shopping in your local megmart, as is being pointed out in this thread, is truly a life-altering experience. sick

It's two years since I've set foot in the local WalMart. Life is too short.

Frank2135

#100640 - 07/24/07 04:08 PM Re: I was in Target the other day.... [Re: Frank2135]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't bother to shop at walmart either. Seems most of the cheap stuff is compelte crap and anything decent you can get cheaper elsewhere.
I'm currently trying to find another source for the 5 quart jugs of Mobile 1 oil, WalMart seems to be the only place that sells them, everywhere else I have to buy a bunch of the one quart jugs.

#100652 - 07/24/07 04:55 PM Re: I was in Target the other day.... [Re: Eugene]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Eugene
I don't bother to shop at walmart either. Seems most of the cheap stuff is compelte crap and anything decent you can get cheaper elsewhere.
I'm currently trying to find another source for the 5 quart jugs of Mobile 1 oil, WalMart seems to be the only place that sells them, everywhere else I have to buy a bunch of the one quart jugs.

I don't know if anywhere else sells the 5 quart jug, but I do know you're not gonna find it as cheap as walmart for the same quantity.

LED,

I'm surprised that you live in L.A. and you feel this way. If you can't handle a normal shopping day at Target, you're gonna have some real problems if there ever was some sort of emergency. And if you ever visit a foreign country, it's going to be a real eye-opener. Some places make a busy day in L.A. look like a ghost town. I hate crowds too, but it's just something I've learned to adapt to. Just think of it as a survival excercise. If you can handle Walmart or Costco the day after Thanksgiving, you're well prepared for the mass hysteria following any emergency.

#100654 - 07/24/07 05:15 PM Re: I was in Target the other day....
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy

I don't know if anywhere else sells the 5 quart jug, but I do know you're not gonna find it as cheap as walmart for the same quantity.

Its actually not any cheaper, that seems to be a common msiconception with walmart, I can buy 5 quarts for the same price as the 5 quart jug, its just easier to stack the larger jug. Een then I have to make a special trip to walmart and hope they have it in stock. A few times I've just found an empty shelf.

#100661 - 07/24/07 06:13 PM Re: I was in Target the other day.... [Re: ducktapeguy]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
Originally Posted By: Eugene

LED,

I'm surprised that you live in L.A. and you feel this way. If you can't handle a normal shopping day at Target, you're gonna have some real problems if there ever was some sort of emergency. And if you ever visit a foreign country, it's going to be a real eye-opener. Some places make a busy day in L.A. look like a ghost town. I hate crowds too, but it's just something I've learned to adapt to. Just think of it as a survival excercise. If you can handle Walmart or Costco the day after Thanksgiving, you're well prepared for the mass hysteria following any emergency.

I just get a little frustrated sometimes and wonder how much of a madhouse things would be should normal routines be interrupted. I never mentioned being hostile or having a breakdown or anything. I mean, after a 3 month stay in Lima, living in NYC, Athens, London, and now LA for 10 years, I'm used to cities and crowds. Sometimes I just step back and say "man, what a madhouse." Of course I didn't say everyone there was a crazed zombie shopper (impulse buyer), but many were. And no, I try real hard not to get sucked into that impulse buying zone. I usually go in with a list and try to stick to it.

#100724 - 07/25/07 07:53 AM Re: I was in Target the other day.... [Re: LED]
DougM Offline

Thats L.A. for you, what else is new?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.